Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 10:06 PM
srmifer

Unhappy which one to get...

i have the option of getting either a '92 black svx ls-l...or a 96 grand cherokee laredo w/v8, leather...i need to make up my mind by no later than thursday, and i don't have the will power to make it on my own. i need some input people!!! jeep is a classic form...yet the svx is so original. jeep is pretty reliable...svx...well, we can keep our fingers crossed. has anyone ever had trouble with a level10 rebuilt/rebuild kit??? *sigh* i hate that i have been given the ability to choose...it is just such a pain in the rear!!! arghhh!!!!! this is going to drive me nuts...
Old 02-25-2002, 10:20 PM
deadeye95

Unfortunately realistic advice....

Get what you can afford. If the old man has deep pockets and can afford to repair a lunched tranny, get the SVX. Otherwise go for the Jeep.

In several years you can buy from one of us owners whose back is about to break after the 7 year parts supply requirement is met by Subaru (2004?).

I'll bet because of the limited supply of parts, the SVX community will allow modifications - as the Lotus Europa community does - to keep these cars functioning in any way possible.

Mark my words. 2/25/02
Old 02-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

Huh? This sounds like a choice between a violin & a lawn mower. I mean we have two totally different concepts here. How did this "choice" come to pass?
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:16 PM
Green1995SVX

I have a 97 grand cherokee v8 with nearly 200,000 miles. It's my 'when the svx breaks' car. My father bought it originally, and it has never had a single problem. It's even on the original spark plugs. It is, however, the most uncomfortable pain box ever created if you have to drive it on the highway. With them parked side by side int he garage, I always walk past the jeep and aim for the SVX. My mother has a 2001 grand cherokee as well... and i keep walkin past that. The svx is my favorite car. It's also the local Subaru dealer's service dept's favorite source of income.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 11:18 PM
Green1995SVX

I would like to add that you posted on here wanting for the response to be "GET THE SVX!" You know you want it... arnt you just trying to reasure yourself?

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 11:33 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Unfortunately realistic advice....

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
In several years you can buy from one of us owners whose back is about to break after the 7 year parts supply requirement is met by Subaru (2004?).

I'll bet because of the limited supply of parts, the SVX community will allow modifications - as the Lotus Europa community does - to keep these cars functioning in any way possible.

Mark my words. 2/25/02
What do you mean by that? Remember, you are looking at the guy who is really into the SVX but about to give up totally on the car to go with a German car now. Keep the 94L or go to the dealer tomorrow and get a 5spd BMW 3xx. Or even an Audi A4 Quttro in 5spd. Love the car but unless I can start minting money, something might need to change soon.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-26-2002, 07:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: which one to get...

Quote:
Originally posted by srmifer
i have the option of getting either a '92 black svx ls-l...or a 96 grand cherokee laredo w/v8, leather...i need to make up my mind by no later than thursday, and i don't have the will power to make it on my own. i need some input people!!! jeep is a classic form...yet the svx is so original. jeep is pretty reliable...svx...well, we can keep our fingers crossed. has anyone ever had trouble with a level10 rebuilt/rebuild kit??? *sigh* i hate that i have been given the ability to choose...it is just such a pain in the rear!!! arghhh!!!!! this is going to drive me nuts...
I'd take the SVX over the Cherokee any day of the week. My supervisor owns two Cherokees. The one he drives has made an oil slick in his parking space that's so bad I am considering calling the EPA. And that's on its second engine.

I would rate the SVX's reliability well above any Jeep's.

You're going to be safer in the SVX, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-26-2002, 12:36 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Re: which one to get...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I'd take the SVX over the Cherokee any day of the week.

I would rate the SVX's reliability well above any Jeep's.
How's the snow down there? It & a stupid driver was enough to cause a few miles of backup thanks to a CHEROKEE *cough* Stupid kid fliped it right over on it's hood. So there's my oppinion on it
Old 02-26-2002, 01:16 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: which one to get...

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

How's the snow down there?
Almost thicker than the heads down here.

It hasn't been too bad. We had a good 4 inches plus at home before I left this morning. I don't suspect that I'll have a problem when I get home tonight, but watching it fall outside I'm expecting 6-8" on my driveway. We may yet see a Justy pulling out a stuck Legacy (my wife's) or Taurus (lady who lives upstairs) this winter!

If that happens, I will be SURE to get pictures.

Anyway, yes, there were multiple SUV accidents on the way to work today. I was glad to see that none of them were rollovers. Still, some lady in an F150 (who very clearly did NOT need it) cut me off when there was a mile of space BEHIND me. We've all seen the move...grrr...maybe I'll be optimistic and assume she didn't see me in the SuperJusty.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-26-2002, 01:47 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Re: Re: Re: which one to get...

Quote:

We may yet see a Justy pulling out a stuck Legacy (my wife's) or Taurus (lady who lives upstairs) this winter!

If that happens, I will be SURE to get pictures.

Still, some lady in an F150 (who very clearly did NOT need it) cut me off when there was a mile of space BEHIND me. We've all seen the move...grrr...maybe I'll be optimistic and assume she didn't see me in the SuperJusty.
haha, I want some pics of that! I'm still pleased by the shocked faces when the svx keeps going and their suv wont :-) I forgot my chains today, so I wont be makin any money. I took them out yesterday, I thought spring had come!

It's still coming down here, I'm hopping my night class will be cancled

yeah, i'm used to that one. My favorite by far has been my friends passing move. When an on ramp comes up he drops down to 3rd gear, gives him a good 5000 + rpm (well above the curve for his 350hp) and flys past on the on ramp. I found that the power mode on the svx produces the same effect :-)
Old 02-26-2002, 01:58 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which one to get...

Quote:

haha, I want some pics of that! I'm still pleased by the shocked faces when the svx keeps going and their suv wont :-) I forgot my chains today, so I wont be makin any money. I took them out yesterday, I thought spring had come!
Chains are probably a bit of an overkill. I drove through far deeper snow in VT on a daily basis and I never had a problem.

It's still coming down here, I'm hopping my night class will be cancled

Quote:
yeah, i'm used to that one. My favorite by far has been my friends passing move. When an on ramp comes up he drops down to 3rd gear, gives him a good 5000 + rpm (well above the curve for his 350hp) and flys past on the on ramp.
See, what I experienced this morning was just your average MI driver ignorance. That right there is the behavior of a true bonehead.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 02-26-2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:02 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which one to get...

Quote:

Chains are probably a bit of an overkill. I drove through far deeper snow in VT on a daily basis and I never had a problem.
no no, not chains for tires. I'd never do that, too many potential problems. I have a winch and some chains to pull my car out if it ever gets stuck. They were used a lot last winter w/ the acura, so I put them in there just in case. And I usually end up pulling other people out w/ them, I can always take 5 min to make a few bucks :-)
Old 02-26-2002, 04:53 PM
Lowered SVX

live a little......

buy the svx. dont be that guy talking to his grand kids about this really cool car he almost bought. my car is how i met and kept my wife. look in my personal locker. she is beautiful. with your own svx who knows........
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-26-2002, 06:14 PM
srmifer

since i have a girlfriend...

maybe with the svx i can get another!!! the possibilities are just endless!! i think the svx is what i'm going to go for...going to try to get the dealer down a little more tomorrow...they want 5700 (that includes tax, title, license) for the car...but it's got some little things wrong with it. any of you know what to do with a speaker when it rattles--kinda like a choppy buzzing--when music is on?? kinda sounds like the wiring is not so great...but i was just wondering if any have had a similar problem. needs new tires...front pads...needs a tranny flush...new tranny filter...atf cooler...i get them to knock from 700-1000 off, i'll be happy
Old 02-26-2002, 06:27 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: since i have a girlfriend...

Quote:
Originally posted by srmifer
maybe with the svx i can get another!!! the possibilities are just endless!! i think the svx is what i'm going to go for...going to try to get the dealer down a little more tomorrow...they want 5700 (that includes tax, title, license) for the car...but it's got some little things wrong with it. any of you know what to do with a speaker when it rattles--kinda like a choppy buzzing--when music is on?? kinda sounds like the wiring is not so great...but i was just wondering if any have had a similar problem. needs new tires...front pads...needs a tranny flush...new tranny filter...atf cooler...i get them to knock from 700-1000 off, i'll be happy
You might want to check the speaker itself for wear due to age. My friend's svx had both front door speakers almost totally deteriated. We just replaced the speakers with my old stock ones, and it sounded fine after that.

-Mike