Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-26-2002, 12:58 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtc
Too bad you didn't knock on wood. Yes you paid a good price for the car. The bad news...all the money you saved from not buying one with lower miles, you will now spend that money fixing things, and believe me, you WILL be fixing things. Parts are somewhat expensive and with 150,000 miles you better hope the transmission has been replaced in the past 50,000 miles .. Like paying for a new engine? How about wheel bearings and cv axles. I hope so because these things will probably need to happen. If I were you , I would take it to a mechanic and have as much of the car looked over as possible. This should be the first thing you should do. Things in particular are spark plugs, timing belt, and go somewhere where they will test your alternator and starter for free. My starter just went out from out of the blue. Good luck though.
Egad! Dude. A chill is in order here.

Fixing things? How many cars with 150K miles have you had. Of course he's going to be fixing things once in a while. At least he didn t get a GM or something.

At 3.3L and only 230 hp these engines are barely breathing hard. Solid as a sledge hammer if you do routine maintenance. Transmission? If you do have to replace it (and there are folks out there with 100+K who haven't), upgrade a couple of years if you can. I have heard of newer trannies going out, but not nearly as often as the '92's.

Basically, if you treat it like any other car that you'd like to last forever, oil changes once in a while and stuff, you'll be one happy camper.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 02-26-2002, 01:01 PM
SVXtc

What I am trying to do is tell him things to keep a look out for and what to have checked since it is a new car with 150k miles on it, that's all.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:34 PM
InukSean

Check out this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=2758

I got a great deal also. $4,400 for a Green 1995L with the only found problem (by a highly respected Subaru dealer) being a leaking valve cover gasket. Otherwise, the car is in excellent mechanical/cosmetic shape.

I picked it up Sunday, had it detailed yesterday and will have the valve cover fixed on Thursday.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by InukSean
Check out this thread:

I got a great deal also. $4,400 for a Green 1995L with the only found problem (by a highly respected Subaru dealer) being a leaking valve cover gasket. Otherwise, the car is in excellent mechanical/cosmetic shape.

I picked it up Sunday, had it detailed yesterday and will have the valve cover fixed on Thursday.
That's super!!! Another New Joisian!! Check out the Reading III thread -- wanna join 40 of your closest friends for a get together?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-26-2002, 01:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtc
What I am trying to do is tell him things to keep a look out for and what to have checked since it is a new car with 150k miles on it, that's all.
Okay, that's fair - but telling him he's gonna need to buy a new engine is not. I have heard of only a couple SVX engine replacements, and those seemed to be pretty special cases.

Some people have had reliability issues with their SVXs, but I think that's due to the way the cars were treated. Every SVX I've seen that has been treated well has served its owners well.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Okay, that's fair - but telling him he's gonna need to buy a new engine is not. I have heard of only a couple SVX engine replacements, and those seemed to be pretty special cases.
I agree. It's usually due the the fault of an owner or a bad mechanic that leads to the death of the EG33 engine. These engines have a reputation for being bullet proof. sheesh!

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Lowered SVX

his only real worry should be the tranny.

the tranny is the biggest problem because it is so expensive to repair. basically immediately go out and slap on an aftermarket tranny cooler and you will be sitting pretty. if you get the occassional bearing or warped rotor...big deal. price you pay for a heavy awd sports car. in my book the price is not too shabby!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-26-2002, 06:15 PM
"high" in Colorado

Smile SVX find update....

Hey gang...SVXTc has valid points! However....owning Subies for the past 15 years, and researching the SVX before I decided to look for one, I was pretty much aware of the shortcomings and knew what to look for. I bought the car from a 56 year old woman who, shall we say, was" full of religon". A stack of reciepts for all the maintenance and repair work came with it (mostly from Flatirons Subaru in Boulder).

I have known Mike at Wings Stuff in Denver for years, and took it down there monday so they could go over it and tell me exactly what I have. The only prolems found- rear wheel bearings (which I suspected when I took my test drive), and leaky valve cover gaskets (imagine that!). We replaced the wheel bearings, serviced the tranny and the differential. On the way home I stopped by Merrill Axel and Wheel in Lakewood and had all four balanced, and a alignment.

Brakes with new rotors 8k ago, battery (770CCA) 3 mos. ago, new alternator (Subaru) 2 mos. ago, timing belts at 106k...and the list goes on....

Bottom Line- I'm still smiling!!

One annoying thing...an erratic fuel guage! Can you guys give me some insight on what seems to be a common problem??? Thanks in advance....

The meet in Indiana sounds great and I plan to attend. I sent Larry a email for info..

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions!

Tom
Old 02-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: SVX find update....

[One annoying thing...an erratic fuel guage! Can you guys give me some insight on what seems to be a common problem??? Thanks in advance....

Erratic? When pegged on empty, you've got a quarter tank of fuel left.
All SVXes have this feature at no extra charge. Check Beav's "heavy float" theory for details.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I was just thinking about that. Maybe a couple brass carburetor floats would do the trick. I'll have to do some 'creative' digging...

Beav
Old 02-27-2002, 04:26 AM
ironsvx

congatulations on your find. I am pearlie with envy. My son has had a 92 since Christmas and so far we are only dealing with annoyances. Slight leak of ATF and therefore some smoking. But nonetheless we all love the car.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by InukSean
Check out this thread:

Congratulations on your SVX. Which dealer did you get it from?
Old 02-27-2002, 08:16 AM
InukSean

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Congratulations on your SVX. Which dealer did you get it from?
Bought it from a private party. Had it checked out at Liberty Subaru in Oradell.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Thank U RUUJ

I bought my 92 pearlie in Dec of 2001 sight unseen on ebay because I fell in love with the idea of a "sports car for under 6000.00" I stumbled onto the yahoo site and larryiii pointed me here for a little more Tech minded and organized format. I started to panic everytime I heard a noise or felt the road bump a little after reading some of the horror stories. Then I started to do a little math, and the numbers were telling me that more people with the car were probabily driving like "normal" people and not having the all of the problems that were being reported here. I've got some minor problems with the car, mostly cosmetic now that I think about it, but the tranny seems to be fine (after a fluid change) and the ride is smooth on a good road. I love the pick-up and the handling. And after your post. I feel better again.

Thank you!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Lowered SVX

it is easy to freak yourself out......

you will learn to take it easy while still paying attention to the car. the only think i still get freaked out about is tranny related or leaking fluid related stuff. everything is just routine.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"