IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 AM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSVX
Today I installed the Starter Relay Bypass mod........
I forgot to mention that when I did the mod yesterday I also added a fuse in the +12V lead to protect the wiring. Harvey mentioned this in an earlier post 5 years ago when this mod was being discussed. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...47&postcount=9

When I installed the relay I used the 12V connection on the starter and added a 30A fuse using a Radio Shack inline fuse holder p/n 270-1234 ($2.49). It uses the standard blade fuses and comes with 10Ga pigtails that were long enough to reach from the 12V starter terminal to the relay that I mounted on the firewall.

Again, thanks for everyone's help!

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 04-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Y'all (with the exception of Trevor) have missed the point entirely! Jumpin' Jaheesus! Y'all waste more dang time and ink pursuing bs alternatives.

There isn't one, single, magic bullet to kill the problem(s) because there isn't one, single problem. My problem is/was different than some others so my temporary work-around won't solve all issues. HOWEVER, my instructions to perform voltage drop tests are spot on and the absolute correct way to diagnose an electrical fault. PERIOD. Unless the fault is intermittent a voltage drop test is DEAD ACCURATE and extremely simple.

This "until someone figures out what the real problem is" mentality is exactly what parts stores prey on. Yeah, they'll hook up a scanner for free and tell you, say... "Code P0401, insufficient EGR flow" then sell you an egr valve for $85.00. After you replace it and the light comes back on they tell you "Oh, well" (it's not our money. You got what you paid for.) The problem could be anything, including a plugged egr tube that doesn't require any parts to correct.

If the person I referred to wishes to verify my diagnostic claim I'll leave to him to do so. He'd had a intermittent no-start problem like a lot of us. He'd hit the key 3-40 times before he could start it. Less than two minutes with a voltmeter and I found his voltage drop within an inch of the battery terminal. Maybe two minutes later it was fixed.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Registered SVX
Fault Finding

Jumpin' Jaheesus! Y'all waste more dang time and ink pursuing bs alternatives.

There isn't one, single, magic bullet to kill the problem(s) because there isn't one, single problem. My problem is/was different than some others so my temporary work-around won't solve all issues. HOWEVER, my instructions to perform voltage drop tests are spot on and the absolute correct way to diagnose an electrical fault. PERIOD. Unless the fault is intermittent a voltage drop test is DEAD ACCURATE and extremely simple.

.[/QUOTE]

Above are words from THE EXPERT.

When will they ever learn ????????????

You have my sympathy Beav. What is more you should receive special thanks for wasting so much "ink" !!!!

The one that gets my goat is the alleged alternator "Upgrade". Increases of two volts are talked about by throwing extra copper at what must be an existing fault. If there is a significant voltage drop, there must be untoward resistance somewhere and you Beav, have clearly advised how to find it. The proper fix is to correct the fault not add band aids. In the event that a high output alternator has been fitted, voltage drop should be carefully checked and exact points of loss identified for exact corrective measures.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-23-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Para. added
Old 04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]When will they ever learn ???????????? by Trevor[QUOTE]
Can you please tell me what are YOU trying to prove????
That you are smarter and we are idiots??????
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=dannmarr][QUOTE]When will they ever learn ???????????? by Trevor
Quote:
Can you please tell me what are YOU trying to prove????
That you are smarter and we are idiots??????
I have stated nothing in respect of myself. What I do say is, take notice of good advice from an expert i.e. Beav, when it is given. Yes, if you like, I believe he has proven himself to be smarter than you.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Yeah, he gave very sound advice. Troubleshoot before jumping into to the fire. You can't argue with pure logic.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-24-2006, 07:12 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I am talking about you (Trevor)not Beav. You have put in your two cents about this already, why are you continuously repeating what Beav has said? Yes his advise is accurate, but why don't you let the others decide what they want to do about their problem? This is a forum not a debate. If we want to use a band aid, who are you to interfere? I like this forum because advice is given and you take it or leave it. No one should be judged on their decision. Don't you agree? Your comments would have been acceptable if you did not put others down.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I am talking about you (Trevor)not Beav. You have put in your two cents about this already, why are you continuously repeating what Beav has said? Yes his advise is accurate, but why don't you let the others decide what they want to do about their problem? This is a forum not a debate. If we want to use a band aid, who are you to interfere? I like this forum because advice is given and you take it or leave it. No one should be judged on their decision. Don't you agree? Your comments would have been acceptable if you did not put others down.
I would prefer to address you personally, but you have not afforded me that courtesy.

My aside i.e. “will they ever learn”, was the result of frustration, I apologise to all who may have a thin skin.

The thread has become completely confusing. Beav was trying to be of maximum assistance by straightening out the issue.

My intention was the same, by backing him up and getting things back on track. In point of fact to end the confusing DEBATE which HAD arisen. Think otherwise if you wish. That is your prerogative.

The important issue here is that a difficult intermittent problem, together with the way it was fixed, using a slave relay, as posted some time ago by Beav, has been and still is taken out of context. But many do not appear to have taken this in and the effect keeps recurring, with negative results. After this further explanation, with respect I repeat, when will they ever learn.

Sincerely, Trevor. *<(

Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Well I spent 15 minutes turning the key last night in the parking lot and....nothing...I was a bit irritated. So pardon my inexperience with circuitry but could you tell me where to place the test probes and what I'm looking for on the volt meter again? I disconnected the starter...I was ready to try to remove it, but I'm having a hell of a time reaching the bolts with a wrench...I'd rather find the electrical fault first at this point. Am I touching positive battery terminal to the terminal on the starter with the rubber boot or which connection? Trevor or Beav, your assistance please would be much appreciated.
Also how would I check the ignition switch since alot of others have replaced this and it was their problem.

Thanks much.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Matt the fastest why to find out if it is a problem with the Netrul/Park switch is to hold the key in the starter position to crank the car then while holding move the gear stick between netural/Park. If the problem is the gear selector as soon as you move the gear shift the car will start. Ikke had exactly the same problem and now he can start the car by this method till he gets the part to fix it properly. He had also purchased a brand new starter which made no difference and the local deal was not able to help him.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:26 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I tried to start in Park and in Neutral...nothing happened...are you saying start the car as I'm moving the gear selector from P to N or N to P??
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM

Matt hold the key on to crank the car and move the gear stick at the same time. If the Park/Neturel switch is faulty the the car will start when you find the right position for the lever. Remember move the gear stick at the "Same" time as you hold the key in the crank engine position.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

I hope this helps:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...017#post444017
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Thanks to Beav It certainly should do. Check in particular for voltage drop on the solenoid control circuit, which Beav has shown as a violet/putple wire.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 AM
Not as old as Randy

BTW, no reason to sweat over matching a relay to the system. Instead of removing the solenoid trigger wire from the solenoid and placing it on the relay trigger terminal, just install a jumper from the solenoid trigger terminal to the relay instead. The relay gets triggered, the OE circuit remains intact and 12vdc is assured at the solenoid. Simple.