Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 05:39 PM
InukSean

Question Is this a fair price???

I am in the market for a SVX and I just test drove one tonight and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is a fair price that is being asked.

It is a 1995 Ls AWD(I believe it is an Ls), it is not an Lsi.

It is Dark Green with Grey cloth/leather interior. The body was in great shape with only 2 minor inperfections. One of the lenses on the front left blinker was cracked real good. But just the plastic. And the kick plate on the inside step of the driver's side door was mostly snapped off. Intact, but the clips underneath were all broken. Also, there is no sunroof. (But I don't really care about that)

Mechanically, the car started right up and I couldn't detect any obvious problematic sounds. The car has 108,000 miles. The tires will need replacing soon (and an alignment) and I think a brake job will also be needed soon.

The car had some awesome pickup and handled exceptionally well and the heat controls worked well. It has a 6-cd changer in the trunk as well.

The price being asked was $4,750.

This was just a casual look at the car and I want to ask the folowing things the next time I talk to her or see the car. The VIN# and the Transmission serial # (is this necessary in a 95?)

I know the dealership that it was originally bought at and I wonder if I can give them the VIN# and they can give me a repair history on the vehicle. Is that possible?

I know I'm jumping al over the place, but I have been interested in this car for years now and I think it's about time I just buy one and I want to make sure I'm getting a fair value.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Is this a fair price???

Quote:
Originally posted by InukSean
I am in the market for a SVX and I just test drove one tonight and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is a fair price that is being asked.

It is a 1995 Ls AWD(I believe it is an Ls), it is not an Lsi.

It is Dark Green with Grey cloth/leather interior. The body was in great shape with only 2 minor inperfections. One of the lenses on the front left blinker was cracked real good. But just the plastic. And the kick plate on the inside step of the driver's side door was mostly snapped off. Intact, but the clips underneath were all broken. Also, there is no sunroof. (But I don't really care about that)

Mechanically, the car started right up and I couldn't detect any obvious problematic sounds. The car has 108,000 miles. The tires will need replacing soon (and an alignment) and I think a brake job will also be needed soon.

The car had some awesome pickup and handled exceptionally well and the heat controls worked well. It has a 6-cd changer in the trunk as well.

The price being asked was $4,750.

This was just a casual look at the car and I want to ask the folowing things the next time I talk to her or see the car. The VIN# and the Transmission serial # (is this necessary in a 95?)

I know the dealership that it was originally bought at and I wonder if I can give them the VIN# and they can give me a repair history on the vehicle. Is that possible?

I know I'm jumping al over the place, but I have been interested in this car for years now and I think it's about time I just buy one and I want to make sure I'm getting a fair value.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you're talking about an L awd. As far as the price, if It's operating correctly, that sounds like a great deal. I bought my green 95 L AWD for 7000 with 91,000 miles on it, and it had a lot of problems when i bought it. Good luck!

-Mike
Old 02-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
With around 100k miles and price below 5k you can usually only get a '92. If a mechanic checks it out and it is ok I'd go for it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:57 PM
InukSean

That's another question I have.

How do I get a mechanic to check it out???

DO I flat out ask her to let me take the car for a day???

The dealer that I want to look at it is near my work, which is 30 minutes away from where she lives.

How do I go about doing that?
Old 02-12-2002, 06:07 PM
InukSean

That's another question I have.

How do I get a mechanic to check it out???

DO I flat out ask her to let me take the car for a day???

The dealer that I want to look at it is near my work, which is 30 minutes away from where she lives.

How do I go about doing that?
Old 02-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If she wants to sell it she should have no problem with you taking it to a reputable mechanic. If she is worried about leaving the car alone (I would be) then schedule it at a convenient time for her to come along.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:13 PM
InukSean

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
If she wants to sell it she should have no problem with you taking it to a reputable mechanic. If she is worried about leaving the car alone (I would be) then schedule it at a convenient time for her to come along.
Sounds like a good answer to me.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Inuk

That sounds like a good price. I bought my 95 L AWD, with 47,000 for $11,500. It had one small ding below the left rear light, otherwise body and interior in really good shape. It came with the stock radio/CD stack.

According to the Kelly Blue Book for my ZIP code, a 95 L AWD with 108,000 should retail for $9,180. Your ZIP code may yield a somewhat different result, and you would want to adjust for the tires. Even so, $9,000 would be a fair price. You seem to be making out like a bandit, assuming no big hidden mechanical problem. If your dealer is honest, they shouldn't mind you having it checked. They might want you to leave some kind of surety, though.

Go to www.kbb.com, and run it through their retail pricing page, to find a price for your location.

If the little clips that hold the door plate into the sill are still there, and you have the plate itself, repairing it is no big deal. Are the clips still stuck in the door sill?
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:58 PM
InukSean

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Inuk

According to the Kelly Blue Book for my ZIP code, a 95 L AWD with 108,000 should retail for $9,180. Your ZIP code may yield a somewhat different result, and you would want to adjust for the tires. Even so, $9,000 would be a fair price. You seem to be making out like a bandit, assuming no big hidden mechanical problem. If your dealer is honest, they shouldn't mind you having it checked. They might want you to leave some kind of surety, though.

I would be willing to leave her some money as security as I get the car inspected. That's a good idea, thanks!

Quote:
Go to www.kbb.com, and run it through their retail pricing page, to find a price for your location.
I checked kbb and I got a value of a little over $7,000. Can't understand why it would be less where I live. I live in just about the costliest place on earth.

Quote:
If the little clips that hold the door plate into the sill are still there, and you have the plate itself, repairing it is no big deal. Are the clips still stuck in the door sill?

The clips are stuck in the sill and broken off of the bottom of the plate.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:10 PM

What is your ZIP code? I don't understand the difference either. Make sure you're looking at the retail value, not the private party value. The $7000 sounds more like a private party sale, not what you would expect to pay a dealer.

To fix the door plate:

Carefuly pull the clips out of the door sill. You might want to keep them in order, though it's not crucial.

Using some needle nose pliers, persuade the clips to let go of the the plastic tab that has broken off.

Buy some of the cream colored plastic repair epoxy. Mix a bit, and glue the tabs back in place on the sill. Let cure throughly, then push the clips back on the tabs. Reinstall.

I rebuilt mine a few thousand miles ago - so far, so good.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:17 PM
InukSean

Quote:
What is your ZIP code? I don't understand the difference either. Make sure you're looking at the retail value, not the private party value. The $7000 sounds more like a private party sale, not what you would expect to pay a dealer.

You were right. The dealer price is $9,685. But don't I want to know the private party price?? I AM buying it from a private party.

Quote:
To fix the door plate:

Carefuly pull the clips out of the door sill. You might want to keep them in order, though it's not crucial.

Using some needle nose pliers, persuade the clips to let go of the the plastic tab that has broken off.

Buy some of the cream colored plastic repair epoxy. Mix a bit, and glue the tabs back in place on the sill. Let cure throughly, then push the clips back on the tabs. Reinstall.

I rebuilt mine a few thousand miles ago - so far, so good.
Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2002, 07:24 PM

Apologies - my misunderstanding. I though you were getting it from a dealer. Either way, it sounds like a good deal. 95s seem to be less prone to transmission problems than earlier models, but wheel bearings still go. Be sure to have the rears checked carefully.
I replaced the right rear not too long ago.

Cleo is a green 95 L AWD; she currently has about 89,000 miles. So far, the bearing and a visor replacement have been the only maintenance costs. New tires are on order, and one of these years, I will have to do a paint job. But other than that, she's great.

Green SVXes rock!

Old 02-12-2002, 07:30 PM
InukSean

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
... and a visor replacement have been the only maintenance costs.

Green SVXes rock!
That's pretty funny if you mean what I think you mean. The driver's side visor on this car is also very loose. Is that a known problem??? How hard can that be to fix?
Old 02-12-2002, 07:40 PM

The visors don't so much rock, as just flop. I just meant that they're great cars.

Yes, drooping visors are a common problem. I just posted a thread on how I fixed mine. If you do a search on visors, you'll find a fair amount of discussion about various fixes. New ones are about $150.00 a shot.

Good luck on your car.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
If it is cloth interior with leather trim, it's a SVX - L. I own one. I would say the price is great. I would actually wonder why it is that great even. But sometimes, it's a steal. I would be concerned about the tranny. If you could bring it to a dealer and make a check on that. Apart from that, it looks great

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!