SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Transmission insurance

Hello,
I am a new member to your website, and a proud new owner of a Pearl 1992 SVX, LS model, ~55K miles with the factory spoiler. Just acquired the car 2 weeks ago, all original other than new tires just prior to my purchase. Always garaged, washed regularly, all synthetic fluids for the last couple years. Only changes are a SIRIUS Satellite radio and a deep 3M tint. Car is immaculate. I bought it from the original owner. My questions for the SVXperienced are regarding the transmission, I would like to insure its driveability, therefore transmission cooler and smallcar.com shift kit, correct? Car performs beautifully, planning many road trips this summer. Next changes will be upgrading the factory brakes, and the 60,000 mile tune. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BIRD
Old 06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

get a cooler with a 15,000 GVW rating or higher.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
First of all welcome to the site.

I would recommend getting a tranny cooler as well. Summit racing has been a reliable source of coolers for many owners. I would also recommend bypassing the stock cooler (in the radiator) for the early SVX's have a screen filter in the radiator that can clog up and cause the tranny to overheat. If the radiator has already been replaced then this would not be an issue.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
You didn't happen to drive it to Napa did you?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
First of all welcome to the site.

I would recommend getting a tranny cooler as well. Summit racing has been a reliable source of coolers for many owners. I would also recommend bypassing the stock cooler (in the radiator) for the early SVX's have a screen filter in the radiator that can clog up and cause the tranny to overheat. If the radiator has already been replaced then this would not be an issue.
Hi BIRD,
If you're going to bypass the radiator you should look into the "PWR"? radiator or upgrade to a newer one at least. The older the radiators get the more likely they are to crack. You'll have to do a search on the aftermarket rad. here or let someone else fill you in on the details, I just went with a newer OEM rad.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The PWR rad is worth the money. I would highly suggest using this rad with an aux cooler with a fan in the fenderwell. Check the aluminum rad thread in the tech forum

Tom
Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I will invest in a tranny cooler soon. As far as the radiator goes, everything on the car is original other than tires and radio. Looking at VIN #'s, and talking to my Subaru mechanic, my 92 SVX LS had the transmission oil filter kit added. No trips to Napa on the SVX yet, but a planned Walla Walla trip for some wine tasting is in the works. First trip to Central Oregon is tomorrow, see what she can do. BIRD
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRD
Hello,
I am a new member to your website, and a proud new owner of a Pearl 1992 SVX, LS model, ~55K miles with the factory spoiler. ~~~~ snip

how many miles without the spoiler...???

Sorry could resist....
Welcome to the site....and again...forgive me....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM

Original owner's son added Subaru spoiler from Motorsports Warehouse at 38K miles, currently at 55K miles. BIRD
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Also add an aftermarket ATF spin-on filter adapter. This is as important as adding the cooler. The OEM radiator on the '92 SVX has a screen at the ATF entrance. Over time, the screen gets clogged with debris from the tranny, and ATF flow is reduced. Like clogging your arteries. So, put the spin-on filter before the radiator. And you might want to reverse flush the ATF portion of the radiator while your at it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRD
Original owner's son added Subaru spoiler from Motorsports Warehouse at 38K miles, currently at 55K miles. BIRD
I was joking
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .