How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-30-2002, 11:29 AM
deligeds

Very impressive

The conversion looks great, Brian. Thanks for the pioneering work. I'll be very interested to see your updates on performance and durability in the months to come.

Without a doubt, a reliable manual conversion is an extemely tempting prospect. I'm especially interested in the possibility of a WRX STi 6-speed conversion. I was at the dealership this week getting a rear wheel bearing replaced (again), and while I was there I had a lengthy chat with a salesman re: the future of the WRX. He indicated that Subaru was scheduled to start shipping a 280-300 hp STi to the States in 2003 or 2004. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I wonder if they're planning to include the 6-speed in the US version?

And what about the low gearing and differential ratio issue? I checked out the speed/rpm calculator that alex_umn posted a while back (http://www.maitreg.com/Cars/tools/sp...B1=Recalculate). Anyone have an idea of how accurate this is? Would it be feasible to decrease the front ratio if 3.90 does indeed result in excessive rpms at highway speeds?

I'm not entirely closed the idea of a Legacy/Impreza 5-speed, but I'm running with a wet nitrous kit and don't want to be closed to the possibility of forced induction in the future. I'm afraid that our stock hp is already a stretch for a legacy tranny.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:07 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Very impressive

Quote:
Originally posted by deligeds
Without a doubt, a reliable manual conversion is an extemely tempting prospect. I'm especially interested in the possibility of a WRX STi 6-speed conversion. I was at the dealership this week getting a rear wheel bearing replaced (again), and while I was there I had a lengthy chat with a salesman re: the future of the WRX. He indicated that Subaru was scheduled to start shipping a 280-300 hp STi to the States in 2003 or 2004. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I wonder if they're planning to include the 6-speed in the US version?

That is true. They are trying to bring in the STi - 6spd version pending if the emissions pass. Mitsubishi is also bringing the Lancer EVO as well.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:30 PM

cost?

Did I miss the cost of the conversion or wasn't it listed? thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 09:09 PM
ehyde111

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Steel

I will eventually have a kit to sell and I would like to work with shops that can do a good job on the installations. I'm working towards that on our Vanagon conversions as VW has discontinued selling engines for the Van and customers have been coming from 7 states for the 4 and 6 cylinder conversions.
What you've done with the SVX is nothing short of amazing. When you do begin to market the 5speed kit, I'll be sure to be one of the first in line.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:04 PM
One teal and One yellow

Talking performance?

brian, have you really tested the exact 0-60? 1/4"? what's the maximum spd now for the 5 spd conversion? at 3 rpm under fifth gear, what mph can you get? i knew that you said the reverse light, cruise seemed all work. so how about the AWD system? it's working as the same system as 90/10 to 50/50 when necessary or all the time 50/50 now???

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-30-2002, 11:15 PM
One teal and One yellow

Talking cost??

i kind of knew and read how much for the conversion you said.
i think for the money plus the shipping and etc, i can exactly have the tranny rebuilt for 2 or 2.5 times!!!

brian, how much confidence do you have on the 5spd conversion? what do you think and how long it would last? so with the 5 spd set-up, we don't need any cooler(s) or the very good fully syn ATF now, right?

SVX is a sport and very luxurious car. I won't mind driving it with auto even I knew that I love stick-shift. I don't want to be so busy in a sport/very luxury car during the heavy traffic jams. I won't mind shifting a lot if it's in a pure sport car.

If $$$ there, have 2nd SVX, when it toasts, I might like one to have a 6 speed AWD, should be much better max spd and better mpg for highway driving, right??

Old 01-30-2002, 11:19 PM
One teal and One yellow

Question 5 spd's mpg???

oops, forgot to ask, also forgot to ask huck long time ago:

how're you guys' 5 spd gas mileage performances(city/highway)? should be 2-3mpg more under same circumstances, right??

Old 01-31-2002, 03:31 PM

Very nice website Brian, Great Job!
Q: In your 5-speed conversion, what donor car(s) are your parts from(Model/ Year)? and do you have a list of all necessary parts needed to complete this job?

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------