Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 04:34 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Everybody says they want to "sleep like a baby".

Me, I'm half way there; I cry myself to sleep every night, curled up with a bottle,

I just don't wet the bed.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 03-05-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
TMI, Tom....TMI!!!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
...I just don't wet the bed.
Yes, you do......

It's just always on MY side.....

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 03-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

Bye bye bumper.

The new one will have two 4" diameter funnel intakes coming through the bumper converging into one larger intake through the stock filter box. This should increase the volume significantly.

The intake will pull through a cold air box built out of an insulated lunchbox with freeze packs inside, cleverly hiddden inside the fender well (I sure don't want to see it!). This will lower the intake temperature.

I'm also considering incorporating the old heater blower fan to assist in the ram effect.

27 days to go.
Bye bye E Prepared and welcome to the Modified world as far as SCCA rules go. If you haven't done it yet and are planning to do autoxs competatively with it (without major engine work) I wouldn't cut the bumper for the intake. The sad thing is you can remove the headlight and use the hole for ductwork but you can't touch the bumper according to SCCA rules.

Hey when you're thinking about a roll cage give Hocrest or myself a shout. We'll go in with ya as making two at the same time should definately help with cost!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:40 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

We stopped qualifying for E Prepared a long time ago. SCCA rules are NOT very favorable for the SVX, and especially the SV-reX.

That doesn't totally bother me. The car is set up to be competitive for GRM.

We ran SCCA autoX today. The class (E-mod) hurt our ranking according the the paxed times (which is how SCCA ranks). We ended up middle of the pack. We did, however, post actual times which were in the top 5 for the day (including a Silvia, a Skyline, several WRX's, BMW's, 2nd and 3rd gen MR2's, and a supercharged Miata).

GRM ranks only according to actual times.

Can't pull the headlight for GRM- gotta have working headlights.

We don't run SCCA with the SV-reX to be competitive. We run it to be better drivers.

After the beating we took today, however, on the paxed scores, we may be hunting for a Civic SI autocrosser.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 03-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
We stopped qualifying for E Prepared a long time ago. SCCA rules are NOT very favorable for the SVX, and especially the SV-reX.

What else did you do. From my understanding everything you've done to this point is within E prepared. The nitrous shouldn't be an issue provided it isn't working and probably wouldn't be an real benefit in most courses anyways.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:19 PM

The interior alone is a problem. No interior, chopped out door frames, etc. is a little beyond "prepared"

Long list, but that's a start.

Honestly, I know very little about the classes, except what others tell me. I've just been told it had to run mod.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 03-06-2005, 08:36 PM

OK, so you got me doing some homework reading my SCCA book.

The E-Prepared SCCA class is darned close. It appears to me that we basically meet everything except the minimum weight requirement.

The minimum weight requirement is 1.05 lbs. per cc of displacement.

With 3300 ccs, we'd have to weigh 3465 lbs. That's a problem, unless we have a driver exceeding 600 lbs.

Of course, that is a problem we could deal with.

I also looked hard at the cutting the bumper issue. I couldn't find any restriction on this. It says bumpers can be removed (17.2 G) except for integral bumpers (like the SVX), and it says, "Any opening used for ducting may not be relocated" (17.2 T). It doesn't say a new opening can't be added, only an existing one can not be relocated.

There is also a statement that says, "Only standard production ventilation openings on the specific recognized model are permitted". However, this is a reference to fenders (17.2 L).

I think the case could be argued. Do you disagree, or are you familiar with other info?

Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 AM

Its in there somewhere about cutting the bumper for ducting. I really don't think our bumpers are removable though as it messes with the form. I think they are talking about those older stlye chrome/non- formed bumpers as the wording is kinda funky on it. Will look for that later.

For the weight you have to then refer to the class appendix where it states the maximum minimum weight regardless of everything else is 2300lbs. Add 10% to that for AWD for a total of 2530.

Unless you did some stuff that you haven't talked about you'd still be Prepared. I think you may be confusing it with Street Prepared (that ricer class).
Old 03-07-2005, 05:25 PM

I'll bet I've asked 2 dozen people for help classifying this car, including the SCCA. None were very helpful, and I got pretty confused trying to figure it out myself, so we've been running wherever we got dumped. Even had to run F-mod once.

I think you hit it right with the E-prepared.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I'll bet I've asked 2 dozen people for help classifying this car, including the SCCA. None were very helpful, and I got pretty confused trying to figure it out myself, so we've been running wherever we got dumped. Even had to run F-mod once.

I think you hit it right with the E-prepared.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah it took me a bit to get it classed as well.
1. It is a Sedan (by SCCA's def) so it falls under Subaru's Not Otherwise Classified)
2. It can't compete nationally until it gets looked at about getting its own classification though.
3. It is the responsibility of the participant to class their own car. Most people just give ya the book and hope you're not in their class.

Check out our site below to see how our project is coming. Was doing more burnouts in the driveway today. I'm sure the neighbors just love me for that.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

3. It is the responsibility of the participant to class their own car. Most people just give ya the book and hope you're not in their class.

Boy that's for sure. There was a group of young kids running a fully modded WRX in the Novice D-Stock class this weekend. The driver clearly had major experience, and perhaps Panoz racing training. In spite of complaints, the SCCA staff didn't reclassify the car. We outran him, but he was given the first place trophy in the novice D-Stock class. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
2. It can't compete nationally until it gets looked at about getting its own classification though.
Optimist, eh?

Old 03-12-2005, 04:59 PM

A couple of Pics

I've got a couple of pics of the new paint scheme (Which looks incredibly cool! ), but darned if I can figure out how to post them on the new site. I guess we have to wait a little to get the lockers up and running again.

If I'm just kinda dumb, someone let me know how to do it. Otherwise, you'll just have to be patient!!

Old 03-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
I've got a couple of pics of the new paint scheme (Which looks incredibly cool! ), but darned if I can figure out how to post them on the new site. I guess we have to wait a little to get the lockers up and running again.

If I'm just kinda dumb, someone let me know how to do it. Otherwise, you'll just have to be patient!!
You can upload them as attachments. When typing up a new message, scroll down and click on a link that says "Manage Attachments". From there, you can upload 4-5 pics at a time.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)