How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2005, 11:01 AM
tooth

Just bought first SVX - maint help please

Well, I just bought my first SVX (Teal '92 with 67k). The previous owner has not completed the 60k service, so I have compiled a list of things to be done. I am looking for some advice on things I might have missed, hints, etc.

1 - Replace all belts and hoses including timing belt
2 - Oil/filter - is full synth Valvoline the best??
3 - Replace coolant - any advice here?
4 - Replace fuel filter
5 - Air filter - OEM or K&N
6 - Spark plugs - getting NGK
7 - Differential - anything?
8 - Transmission
- Installing ATF - using Perma-Cool
- Installing B&M cooler in series
- Changing fluid - any advice on brand or how to flush?
9- Brakes
- New Bradi slotted rotors front and rear
- Akebono Proact ceramic pads
- Valvoline synth fluid
10 - Bearings - inspect??? - any advice???
11 - Steering/Suspension - any advice???

That's about it - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Todd
Old 01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

If you're not doing it yourself you might as well replace all the front gaskets and water pump while you're getting the t-belt done. Parts aren't much and labor will be very cheap since everything else is out.

K&N filters are pretty much worthless on a street car for the price. Granted you can clean it but still $$$ go OEM or a good aftermarket brand.

Mobil 1 ATF. So long as it doesn't smell like burnt toast. Drain, drive a day or so and drain again. Probably overkill but it is the best verified independently for flash and fire points. Some people like others but I couldn't find any indie lab results verifying their claims. I'd also put a gauge in so you understand what temps your running.

Brake fluid- any decent brand (i.e. Castrol, etc) Dot 3 should do unless you're racing. Pretty simple. Most synth. have a tendancy to absorb more water over time so unless you're racing or plan on changing it anually I'd stick with normal fluid

Dif. Why not change the fluids up front and back. A $10 cost if you do it yourself.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Welcome, tooth...

I think you'd do well to spend some time perusing threads and how-tos here that relate to the specific items you mentioned, just to get a sense of the prevailing wisdom.

Congrats on the low-mileage '92. For a 60K service. I'd say your list has everything pretty much covered. Good luck.

dcb
Old 01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
tooth

Thanks for the replies - and yes, I have been doing a lot of reading on the boards here - what a great site!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Welcome!

Given that you've probably got the original radiator in the car, this means it has the infamous "screen" in it which has been pointed at as contributing to the collection of "junk" in the ATF flow and clogging - thus eliminating any cooling to the ATF (= toasted trans). This typed, you might want to consider installing the remote B&M cooler in place of the cooler in the radiator.
Does the car have its original trans in it?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
tooth

Yes, it is the original transmission - how do I avoid all the junk clogging the ATF??
Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
One teal and One yellow

Hi and Welcome,
Congrats on your purchase for the low miles '92!!

Did you get it in town? So you are at Morgantown?
Are you at WVU or working somewhere?

I'm located pretty closed to Morgantown. So if you would
like to meet or hang up sometimes, you can PM me your
cellphone or homephone.

Where are you going to get the "work" done? If you're
doing that at John Howard, they would charge you like
crazy.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM
tooth

Hey SSSVX - Thanks, I am pretty excited about the car. I have a local mechanic I trust to do the work. He lets me order any parts I want ... which is nice. I am actually getting ready to graduate with a professional degree in May, so I will probably be relocating somewhere a little warmer :-). Check your PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
SEA Sleeper

Welcome to the network and congradulations on your purchase. I've never seen a '92 w/ such low miles. I'm definately happy for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Given that you've probably got the original radiator in the car, this means it has the infamous "screen" in it which has been pointed at as contributing to the collection of "junk" in the ATF flow and clogging - thus eliminating any cooling to the ATF (= toasted trans). This typed, you might want to consider installing the remote B&M cooler in place of the cooler in the radiator.
-Bill
This is a very good point however bypassing the stock cooler does have an ill effect.

The ATF cooler portion of the radiator serves two purposes:
1) Reduce ATF temps
2) To help warm ATF in cold weather

During winter months you may have a hard time getting your ATF fluid warm and thus preventing the TC from locking as it needs to be a certain warm temp. I don't know what the temperature is specifically but I do know that bypassing the screen is not the best idea as far as AT longevity. I suggest you do install an auxilary cooler in series w/ the sotck ATF cooler.

Also, you may not know this but your SVX being a '92 most likely had a campaign filter added to your ATF lines just before the cooler. Many members have replaced this w/ the B&M Canister type for reasons of parts availability and ease of replacement (B&M takes less than 10 min to do the complete job; it's like an oil filter).

Lastly I would like to advise against power flushing your transmission as I experienced trans. failure less than 60 days after having one done on my SVX. Cost of a refurb. 4EAT from Subaru is nearly $4K. I suggest draining and replacing what you can drain from the ATF pan somewhat periodically.

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 01-17-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 AM
tooth

Thanks for the info Sleeper .... I have heard several things abouth how to flush or not flush the tranny.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 AM
One teal and One yellow

Have you got all the parts and ready for your mechanic to work on it?

Do you have other car? I actually saw a "new" 92 teal SVX parked somewhere in Morgantown. It's parked beside a black SUV under the roof. The SVX is located in between the five-point junctions and the new pizza shop. My SVX-sense told me that is you. And, I know the SVX is recently purchased as well. is that you?

PS: I don't speak out the street name and house number because I am afraid if you don't like it.

See ya around.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 AM
tooth

Yep, that's the one - still waiting for parts to get shipped to me. And yes, I love the car!!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
One teal and One yellow

I knew that my SVX-sense told me that was yours.....

Nice talking with you on the phone this evening.