Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2005, 02:10 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

To end this sad episode of a simple question gone wrong i will say that i notice no difference what soever in miles to the gallon. I never have with the air conditioning either. Actually since purchasing chike's K&N air filter i get 20 more miles to a full tank of gas....bumping it from 180 miles city driving to 200!!!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-03-2005, 04:37 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
i notice no difference what soever in miles to the gallon. >snip< from 180 miles city driving to 200!!!
Ouch. You should get your car looked at. There's a reason you won't notice any difference in MPG with those sad numbers. Are your oxygen sensors working?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by maroon menace
this has got to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I have read to date.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The book is 75 cents used. I suggest you check it out and read up. How many books have you written about getting better mpg and reducing wear on your engine???

Quote:
Start your car, leave the heat on and get warm the difference is minimal. pay a few extra cents for your comfort. and be confortable knowing that absolutely NO harm is done to your engine in any way.
I quote from the book listed above:

"Years ago it was considered a good practice to let the car idle a few minutes after cold engine starts. Today, the opposite is true. After you start you car get moving immeadiatly. An engine in proper condition should need no more than 15 seconds of idling before it's ready to go. And engine under road load conditions will warm faster and lubricate more efficiently tahn one that is idling. Use slow speeds for hte first mile or two, then increase to crusing as the engine graduallly warms. Economy improves with distance traveled. Remembe to take it easy that first mile or two, because that's when gas consumption is at it's peak."

"Long periods of cold idling to warm an engine has proven to be one of the most presistent and difficult to break driving habits. It SEEMS logical: get the engine nice and warm befor eyou put it to work, a warm engine is more efficient and runs better than a cold one...
True, we want a warm engine, but letting it sit and idle is no the best way to warm it. A cold engine car sitting and idling use an inordanite amount of fuel compared to a warm engine. Most of the fuel in this time is wasted, and nary a drop is used to actually move the car. You get zero mpg during the warm up. Coupled with this fuel waste is hte fact that an idling car does not lubricate it self as effectively as one that is in gear and moving. This speeds up engine wear.
A car that is in gear and moving will warm faster, lubricate better, use less fuel, and realize less wear than one that sits and idles. Contrary to what many drivers believe, idling- especially cold idling- is one of the most severe of all modes of engine operation."

Here are a few links if you'd like to become enlightened:

http://www.ottawariverinstitute.ca/W...03/wwPleaseDon'tIdle.htm

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...lem.cfm?attr=8

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56047

http://yarchive.net/car/warmup.html

Before we get any more comments on how stupid my position is, I suggest you read up on the issues. Excessive idling is bad for your engine, and is very wasteful. Turning on your heater before the engine warms up slows down the warming process, which does the same thing.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
back off Clarence, your slip is showing yet again .
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
back off Clarence, your slip is showing yet again .
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Good carma, bad carma

To the uninitiated this is a stupid argument.

But it's only stupid if you don't like arguing.

I drive my car like a rally driver, or like a little old lady. I get 20-22 mpg on a tankful whichever. So the engine management systems even things out, whether I want to be stupid or frugal.

It is really silly to quote a book on frugal driving in relation to warming up a car by idling. Such books will give you statistics on how your car will be 30% less efficient with the sunroof or the driver's window open at 60mph.

BS.

The reality for an SVX driver is as above. 20-22 mpg even if you drag the dog for p-ing on the sandwiches.

If you are in a really cold place, and you often let the car warm up by idling, make sure you use a thin oil in winter that is fully synthetic. This will help by lubricating the cylinders earlier, heating up quicker and combating the rich fuel mix that a cold start produces.

Otherwise, NO, as Darren says, it will do no harm to the car.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
justiceSVX

Re: Good carma, bad carma

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Such books will give you statistics on how your car will be 30% less efficient with the sunroof or the driver's window open at 60mph.

BS.

The reality for an SVX driver is as above. 20-22 mpg even if you drag the dog for p-ing on the sandwiches.
I recieved 29.6 mpg with my windows up and sunroof closed AC off on an extended trip. Not too shabby.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Good carma, bad carma

Quote:
Originally posted by justiceSVX

I recieved 29.6 mpg with my windows up and sunroof closed AC off on an extended trip. Not too shabby.
That is absolutely excellent considering your gallons are smaller than ours.

I never got any better than 27 mpg, but I always use AC and our petrol here is rubbish. No premium available.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-04-2005, 09:02 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by justiceSVX

Ouch. You should get your car looked at. There's a reason you won't notice any difference in MPG with those sad numbers. Are your oxygen sensors working?
Its actually at a quarter tank left with 200 on the clock which has never happened before. I could go a long way and be safe. I dont know why the mileage went up but hey im happy

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network