How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
A Fake Vision

water pump

the people at subaru told me that i need a new water pump. how can i determine this for myself? i think it is only the thermostat that needs replacing because the temp gauge goes all the way to the top then within a couple seconds goes back the running temp. any comments?

thanks
dave
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

u ever had any overheating issues?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
A Fake Vision

Thumbs down

nope. never had any issues involving overheating. its funny how the problems started after my service at the dealer... but i never have overheating issues at all.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM
RobSVX

Is there fluid coming from the 'weep' hole...if there is one ?
Most have a drilled hole, below the shaft and to the pulley and before the seal. It lets you know the seal is leaky.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 PM
red95svx

Doing a water pump at your mileage isn't a bad idea, even if you don't really need it. I once bought an SVX for cheap money after the owner had his water pump seize on the highway causing the timing belt to break apart and wreak havoc on the timing covers and several cam gears. The car only had 89,000 miles on it. Long story short, some parts are better off being replaced before they go bad.

Dave
Old 12-02-2004, 08:01 PM

<<i think it is only the thermostat that needs replacing because the temp gauge goes all the way to the top then within a couple seconds goes back the running temp.>>

you mean it goes all the way into the red?

<<its funny how the problems started after my service at the dealer... but i never have overheating issues at all.>>

what type of service did you have done?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:50 AM
A Fake Vision

yup all the way to the top then back to normal. i just had my 97,500 mile service done to the car. i getting the pump tested this weekend by my mechanic. trust him alot more than the dealership those guys told some lady that she had exhaust bearings... geez
Old 12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by A Fake Vision
yup all the way to the top then back to normal. i just had my 97,500 mile service done to the car. i getting the pump tested this weekend by my mechanic. trust him alot more than the dealership those guys told some lady that she had exhaust bearings... geez
are you serious??? thats just fing pathetic... its bad enough that most dealers charge an arm and leg (and a kidney too in some cases) and then some lie about work being done that isn't... but to just freakin make stuff up?? thats horrible. I'd bring it up with the manager or owner...

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Technically the SVX does have an exhaust bearing.
The 'donut gasket' as everyone seems to call it connecting the center pipe and muffler is actually a bearing. Look it up if you don't believe me.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-03-2004, 12:25 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
The 'donut gasket' as everyone seems to call it connecting the center pipe and muffler is actually a bearing. Look it up if you don't believe me.

You are correct. My Subaru catalogue calls it a "Seal Bearing". This is probably what he overheard.....

Dave
Old 12-04-2004, 02:07 PM
A Fake Vision

not about an svx.. i think it was an old loyale wagon
Old 12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
there you have to go making me look like an ass.. lol i've NEVER heard of that EVER in my life... and if a dealer told me that i would have seriously laughed at them... learn somethin every daay... so why is it a "bearing"??

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Once the engine cools to normal temperature does it stay there?

If so then I would believe a sticky thermostat.

To be safe I would check for evidence of a cracked/warped head or bad headgasket. (eg. hydrocarbons in the antifreeze)

A bad waterpump will cause the engine to overheat and stay that way. I suppose the pump could be siezing and the timing belt is slipping over the pulley but I don't know of that happening to anyone here before. (that is without a total failure)
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
3 months ago I had a little problem concerning overheating, when I was going an uphill the temperature was very normal. arrived to my destination, parked my car and made a little visit (1 hour or so). when i was going back, my car had the CHECK ENGINE light on for the very first time in my life!!!, and the car started chacking.... quickly I pulled over. and watched my car's dash to see the temperature at 3/4. i turned the car off and pumped up the hood, grabbed a water gallon and emptied it on the radiator and let the hood open for 20 mins. then i started the car back, temperature was normal and no other symptoms occurred. I knew it was the termostat. after two days, I freaked out especially that my engine had 55000 miles on it, so I pulled out the engine from the car and changed everything known as "plastic" and cooling related from the engine

1- thermostat
2- water pump
3- gaskets (even though it was still new)
4- oil pump
5- timing belt
6- gasket rocker covers
7- spark plugs
8- oil sealing
9- fuel filter
10- K&N filter
11- oil change + filter (castrol 10W-60 + subaru filter)
12- a plastic cover located behing the flywheel of the engine, replaced it with a metal assembly + sealings
13- all the water and fuel hoses
14- distilled water + antifreeze.

a nice $450 as a total (including $60 labor) just to be on the safe side of the issue.

my engine is back as good as new, very well being take care of but never underestimate any problem that occurr !!!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Thats all you had to pay for all that sh*t?! Wow you are really lucky in that case.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network