SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
DSM tuning ideas

So i'm finally getting serious about building up the 93 eclipse GSX you see in my signature. I've been on some other forums and have been doing a lot of research, and just wanted to also post on here to get some ideas...

for now i'm limiting the budget at $2k. my plans for the car are for the next couple years build it up with that $2k, such that its a great track car for the money. Then after college, i'll either keep it and put more money into it, or sell it and try to make at least $4k out of it. I'm going to be rebuilding the motor due to the high mileage (155K) but i don't think i'll be upgrading the internals, just bearings, seals t-belt and the like.

I would like to know some of your thoughts on parts out there for dsms.
I'm thinking that i'll just custom make the exhaust, 3" all the way back (i need something thats non restrictive but brings sound levels WAY down.. i was thinking maybe a resonator before the muffler?

Right now i'm kinda just putting together a plan of attack. Anyone have experience with different turbos on a dsm? Think i'm just going to go with a evo3 16g... even though the garrets are better turbos you end up spending more on modifications to install them

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Hey, saw your post on tuners yesterday..

What I would do is rebuild the engine using 1g rods and 2g pistons. The 1g rods hold alot more boost, and the 2g pistons give you a little more compression for more torque. If you're going to go with a 16g, you have a few choices. You have the regular 16g, then you have an evo III 16g, and a big 16g. Which one you want depends on hp goal.

I personally prefer to have a quicker spooling turbo that will spool around 3k rpms instead of a huge monster that will spool at 4.5k since our redlines are at 7k.

Since I have a 2g I'll be going with a T28 killer as my upgrade.

Before you decide on which turbo you want, you'll have to figure out all that will be needed to replace to get everything ready for that bigger turbo. Front mount intercooler or side mount? What clutch? Fuel pump and injectors? Datalogger? Boost controller?

dsmtuners.com has ALOT of information on all these subjects.

Good luck with the DSM!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 11-18-2004, 09:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Oh, and when I state 1g rods, I mean from a 6 bolt motor

Also, you could get some head work done for pretty cheap.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Hey, saw your post on tuners yesterday..

What I would do is rebuild the engine using 1g rods and 2g pistons. The 1g rods hold alot more boost, and the 2g pistons give you a little more compression for more torque. If you're going to go with a 16g, you have a few choices. You have the regular 16g, then you have an evo III 16g, and a big 16g. Which one you want depends on hp goal.

I personally prefer to have a quicker spooling turbo that will spool around 3k rpms instead of a huge monster that will spool at 4.5k since our redlines are at 7k.

Since I have a 2g I'll be going with a T28 killer as my upgrade.

Before you decide on which turbo you want, you'll have to figure out all that will be needed to replace to get everything ready for that bigger turbo. Front mount intercooler or side mount? What clutch? Fuel pump and injectors? Datalogger? Boost controller?

dsmtuners.com has ALOT of information on all these subjects.

Good luck with the DSM!
I was originally thinking the evo3 16G.. however the full garret t3/t4 hybrid that "bolts up" looks like a pretty good option too. End goal is about 350 crank HP... however i'm not going to be able to get that with 2k.. so i'm just making sure all the parts i buy can handle at least that. (sucks.. 350 seems to be the cutoff point between 2 VERY different levels of modificaton)

Cheap manual boost controller. I think i'll go with an Ebay special FMIC (saw one for like 675$ for a full kit.. looked like what i want. stock clutch until i kill it then probably a cheaper ACT, walbro 255 LPH pump, and no idea what brand but 550 injectors. No data logger because i don't have the money, so i'll be very careful tuning with gauges and possibly borrowing a data logger from a friend occasionally... are all 2gs OBDII?

(ok.. something i still haven't figured out, what years have 6 bolts, and what years have 7 bolt engines... i thought just 1gs had 6, and 2gs had 7s.. but thats starting to not make sense)

Thanks for any help

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 11-18-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
if the engine is in good shape,, no need to tear it apart to rebuild it again just for 2g pistons and such, whene or if it does let loose then go for the nice engine goodies,,

as for mods for basics,, 3" turbo back //intake//MBC are the bare essentials . also crush your 1g bov to hold more boost

as for turbo set ups 14bs are pretty good u can get in the12s with it,, the next thing for less lag and good power is the 16g there cheap and good cfm flow aroun 550 cfm depending on size.

also a must is a 2g exhaust manifold and prot it out to 7cm for better flow

zeppelin i loved my t-28 from forced performance good turbo, verry little lag and flows just as much as a 16g

.also rember if u upgrade the turbo 16g wise,, injectors//pump and such are needed

and also a must on that list is a super AFC tuning or dsm translater and gm MAF conversion all helps out
Old 11-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Poor College Racer

The engine has 155K on it and hasn't exactly had perfect upkeep.... It still a strong motor, however... i think a rebuild with seals, orings, gaskets, (not sure about when the T-belt was replaced.. but i can find out) bearings will help get the most out of the engine. I do not think i'm going to buy ARP bolts though.. seem Way too expensive. But I'm thinking its probably going to come down to "open it up and see"

I'm thinking the 3 inch exhaust shouldn't be that hard to make myself (with a little help from friends and possibly a shop), i just can't do the mandrel bends... i just REALLY don't want to buy a pre-made one cause they mostly sound like crap.. and loud

whats the "how-to" on crushing a BOV?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-18-2004, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
do a compression check if it checks out,, its ok,, jesus ran in the 11s with 180k on his engine,

also do not,, i repeat do not make your own exhaust, ,, buy one already made,, a nice 3" downpip and any cat back long as it is 3" and do not have a muffler shop make it, u want manderal bent piping.

if u are dead set on making your atleast buy a nice dp.

u crush the cap of the BOV go to dsmFAQ should find something
Old 11-18-2004, 04:15 PM

Check out www.vfaq.com for lots of tech articles. Crushing the bov is covered under the intake menu.

The 6 bolt motors were years 90-92.5. The 7 bolt motors are 92.5-up. The way to tell is to look at the oil pan on the driver's side. The oil pan will sink into the motor on the 6 bolts, and bulge out slightly on the 7 bolts.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
also do not,, i repeat do not make your own exhaust, ,, buy one already made,, a nice 3" downpip and any cat back long as it is 3" and do not have a muffler shop make it, u want manderal bent piping.
If money is a factor on the exhaust, this place has a great deal on turbo back exhausts:

VRS

Or you can order the pieces separately from there as well.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
jesus ran in the 11s with 180k on his engine,

I never knew he was a drag racer!

Todd
Old 11-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yeah, he's doing more than just building hotrods now...maybe it's a mid-life crisis thing.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
do a compression check if it checks out,, its ok,, jesus ran in the 11s with 180k on his engine,

if u are dead set on making your atleast buy a nice dp.

u crush the cap of the BOV go to dsmFAQ should find something
I'm not dead set on making my own, I'm dead set on not spending a lot on it... its a 3 inch tube... I of course would make sure they're mandrel bends... heres my thing. i want it cheap, and quiet. and cheap bought systems are loud... and crappy sounding.

but wouldn't i be better off replacing somethings like the original headgasket thats currently in place, o-rings and the like? or would i just be wasting my time

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-18-2004, 11:00 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I say work on the Suspension, Brakes and exhaust for the time being... Get those worked out nicely then start getting into the Engine Ya always want something that can corner and stop atleast 2x as fast as ya are planning to accelerate

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Poor College Racer

Maybe if autocrossing... but i'm thinking more of just a fun car... to play with... and learn how to build it up... i'll doo suspension, i just have a limited budget.. and the stock turbo has 155k on it... on a normal car, i'd totally agree with you... but this is just gonna be a fun learning experiment right now

oh, and vfaq.com is awesome... quality info!!

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-19-2004, 12:23 AM
THAWA

tires, tires, tires. Spend the brunt of that money on tires