Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Question Need confirmation - rack issues and Duty solenoid C

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Weather was awesome in the midwest so I finally got a chance to stick the svx on the rack for an in depth look.

1. Trying to figure out where the heck is all that ATF coming from. It's possible that the return hoses are older and slightly seeping/leaking. However, I opened up the two bellows/boot that cover the innder tie rod on the rack and found them full of oil. Interesting thing is that the driv side is totally wet on the outside but the pass side is totally dry on the outside.

Anyway, I guess the inner seal is leaking, which is speweing out ATF. Interesting thing is that I have no power steering degradation. She turns as easily and smoothly as ever.

I normally don't rebuild things of this nature as they'll prolly leak in the future anyway. However, given that the rack is operating well, I was curious as to the possiblity of replacing the seals in question. I suspect that it won't be worth my time and simply have it rebuilt or replaced with a reman unit. What's your consensus on this one? Removing the rack is pretty simple, IMO. So far, I managed to remove everything except the outer tie rod ends. I'll do that tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to only pulled out one out of four exhaust studs! While I'm in there, I'll replace all cat converter gaskets/donuts for that stealth sound!
BTW, what type of rack do I have - electronic or engine speed?

2. I'm experiencing what I suspect is the center diff/viscous coupling a bit unhappy around turns. The car exhibits a "pushing" like feeling during tight turns (left or right). I bet, if I had snow on the road, then I wouldn't be making solid turns! To troubleshoot this, I stuck her in FWD using the fuse, and now she's great.

I presume that my viscous coupling needs some attention? Rather than rehash this all over, please point me to some specific threads that I need to look at, or perhaps some specific key words for the search function. Incidentally, I've never replaced the ATF on this car since I've owner her at 80k. She's got 100k right now. This is one of those things that scared the **** out of me so I've been avoiding the fluid change. However, she does have a tranny filter installed about four years ago. I've had her since '99. I'm planning to leave her in FWD until this issue is resolved. Will this be an issue long term?

Appreciate any insight into this matter. This board had been a valuable asset for me in the past. I've got a hoist so access to underneath isn't an issue for me.

Regards,

Ali
'92 SVX
Chicagoland.

ps if anyone in the area wanna stop by to look at this thing before I send it out for rebuild, please let me know. This maybe of benefit to others. I can post pics too.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 11-01-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
a piece of advice

I want to advise you of one thing, of course not for you only, but to all my fellow svx'ers, the thing making the engine last longer is cooling or heat resisting. if the car is driven in hot climates, oil change should be more frequent than cars driven in cool climates. always use the highest quality fluids in your car, either coolants or oil. for example i use Castrol 10W-60 for the engine, etc... their change frequency should be done according to driving conditions and weather conditions..., i have done a system in my car which cools the brakes, the engine, the radiator, the exhaust,etc.... cooling is the basis of power gain, fuel consumption and long last.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 AM

Good advice, duely noted!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
thanks, think smart, always !!!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:23 AM

I'm finding a decent price range for reman steering rack in the local area. Believe it or not, Autozone has one for $252/$318 depending on if the one I have has a solenoid or not.

This leads to me to my next question: what is the solenoid that I'm looking for? I assume this has to do with speed vs engine rpm sensitive unit? Anyone care to tell me what type is in a '92 LS-L vehicle?

Regarding my second point, car being pushed around corners- I'm assuming it's the duty solenoid C that maybe havng issues? Does my '95 Legacy have the same p/n for this solenoid as my '92 SVX?

Thanks guys.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Viscous coupling exists only in the rear differential. T-case uses duty-cycle solenoid-controlled clutch pack.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 AM

Beav,

Thanks for the clarification, I realized that after finding a billion hits on TRansfer clutches and Solenoid "C"! Do Legacy '95 and my SVX share the same Solenoid C? Do my symptoms point to a possible failure of Duty Solenoid C in this case?

Also, can you clerify for me which type of rack I have?

Thanks.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You should have the speed sensitive rack.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Ran the VIN through subaruparts.com and they tell me that I have an electronic controlled rack (not engine rpm sensitive). I assume that's what you mean by "speed sensitive" rack?

Also, there's a wire coming out of the top of the unit so I'll guess that to be the "solenoid" that my local parts supplier is referring to.

Thanks.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-28-2004, 12:03 PM

Looking for oem p/n for Duty Solenoid "C"

Can someone tell me the oem p/n for the "duty solenoid C" for a '92 SVX and '95 Legacy Wagon awd?

The parts guy said that the manuals are calling these things Transfer Valves or something like that.

Thanks much.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Just a guess but could it be part #9 here:

Reference Link

Perhaps someone else can confirm.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the info.

Update on the rack:
It's out and tomorrow I'll be taking it to a local rebuilder who will do it for $125 and lifetime warranty. I'm skeptical but the price has me captured! The whole process of removal wasn't as bad as I thought originally. Removal of the left side axle was a bit sticky but she finally saw it my way!

While the rack is being rebuilt, waiting for parts from Subaruparts.com, I'll drop the tranny pan and check things out.

Good weekend.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E