Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2004, 07:36 PM
JackieBeans

Uh oh - Dash Board Lights Flickering. . .

Okay - a couple months ago I replaced the alternator in my '92 svx. no problem - issue fixed, but today I put my foot on the brakes and noticed that the battery light, brake light, and another "stop" light on the dash started to flicker. Not just flicker, but every time I put my foot on the brakes they flicker, when I hit the gas they flicker, when I turn, when the tranny shifts they flicker. My initial thought was that the alternator was going bad. But has anyone else had any similar issues? My second thought is a short in the electrical system or the transmission sterting to go kaploot. Need help - any input would be appreciated. . .
Old 05-09-2004, 08:31 PM
deruvian

Re: Uh oh - Dash Board Lights Flickering. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by JackieBeans
Okay - a couple months ago I replaced the alternator in my '92 svx. no problem - issue fixed, but today I put my foot on the brakes and noticed that the battery light, brake light, and another "stop" light on the dash started to flicker. Not just flicker, but every time I put my foot on the brakes they flicker, when I hit the gas they flicker, when I turn, when the tranny shifts they flicker. My initial thought was that the alternator was going bad. But has anyone else had any similar issues? My second thought is a short in the electrical system or the transmission sterting to go kaploot. Need help - any input would be appreciated. . .
I believe those are called ghost lights. I had that happen months ago. It was there one day, and gone the next. At the time, I had the popular wiring ground mod (perform a search for it here if you don't know what it is). I removed the wires for that mod, and never had the problem again.

You could try removing/adding the wire ground mod, depending on what you have now. I would highly suggest that you buy a voltmeter, though. They're pretty cheap — maybe $10 - 15. Test the voltage on your battery when the car is off. It should read 12 - 12.5 volts. Anything less, and your battery is probably bad. Test your battery with the car on, and it should read 14 - 14.5 volts from the alternator charging it. Anything less, and your alternator has a bad hookup, your alternator is shot, or maybe your battery and alternator are shot.

Something that someone just told me recently is that batteries and alternators often die as a pair. The battery starts to lose its juice, so the alternator has to work near its full capacity in order to keep the battery charged. Unfortunately, alternators can't work at full capacity for very long.

So, you replace your alternator, but it dies again soon because the battery is still losing juice.

Either that, or you replace your battery, and it dies again soon because the alternator is on its way out. Then you're back to square-one, cause your alternator is still on its way out.

Anyway, point being, you need to make sure your battery is ok before you do anymore driving on that new alternator. Even though it's new, it could die from trying to keep a bad battery charged.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:36 PM
deruvian

Check the belt tension for your alternator as well. Just push on the most spacious part of it with your finger. When pushing with moderate force, you should only have 0.25 - 0.5 inches of play.

Did you get a new belt when you got the new alternator? I would definitely suggest doing that as well. If you did, you should recheck the tension, as they tend to stretch a little.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:43 AM
JackieBeans

Thanks for the Input

Well guys, thanks for the input. . . I think I found out what it is though, the alternator took another dump on me this morning. I got up early this morning to check my belts, etc. Event tightened the belt just to be sure that wasn't it. The car started fin, but by the time I got to work the battery was dead as a door nail. So, I called the company I bought it from and they are overnighting me another one - no questions asked. I checked the voltage on the battery (as it is a pretty new battery of less than a year). But what can you do. Another svx story told. But again - I appreciate the input.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
deruvian

Re: Thanks for the Input

Quote:
Originally posted by JackieBeans
Well guys, thanks for the input. . . I think I found out what it is though, the alternator took another dump on me this morning. I got up early this morning to check my belts, etc. Event tightened the belt just to be sure that wasn't it. The car started fin, but by the time I got to work the battery was dead as a door nail. So, I called the company I bought it from and they are overnighting me another one - no questions asked. I checked the voltage on the battery (as it is a pretty new battery of less than a year). But what can you do. Another svx story told. But again - I appreciate the input.
I would still keep a very close eye on the battery voltage both when the car is off and running. Seriously.

Last edited by deruvian; 05-11-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:17 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Search under x-mas lights. Replace alternator.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:12 AM
JackieBeans

x-mas lights and more

Yeah, I think the official plan is to replace the alternator, battery and the poitive and negative lines from the battery to the ground and the starter. I'll bet they have never once been replaced and with 232,000 miles closing in - there's not a better time.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
JackieBeans

Alternator Replaced

That is what I love about the SVX - Alternator replacement from Fedex delivery - 1 day - actuall replacement time18 minutes from dead to engine startup. Love it. New battery - on the way . . . . .
Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

I have the same problem going on. I had my alternator checked while it was on the car and they said it was pulling 13.7 v. This is a low reading and I am assuming the voltage regulator in the alternator is bad. I took my ac belt off, put a new belt on the alternator, ran it around ten miles and the lights never came on once. Put new ac belt on, the ligts came back, even with good tension.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 AM

Registered SVX

If a diode in the rectifier bank is shot, alternating current can be induced on line and this will bypass blocking diodes within the fault light circuit. This type of fault is regularly missed, because there may be only a small reduction in the total output voltage. Switch the meter to an AC range and if any voltage is detected, the fault is disclosed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisjefferyl View Post
I have the same problem going on. I had my alternator checked while it was on the car and they said it was pulling 13.7 v. This is a low reading and I am assuming the voltage regulator in the alternator is bad. I took my ac belt off, put a new belt on the alternator, ran it around ten miles and the lights never came on once. Put new ac belt on, the ligts came back, even with good tension.
I would check the crank shaft pulley to see if it is separating at the rubber bond between the inner and outer sections.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

So I have still been driving on the same alternator, the lights on the dash still come on and go off sporadically. I have checked the voltage recently and alternator is charging and pulling about 14.5 v constant. With ac wide open, stereo blasting(with amp and subs), lights on bright, and cooling fans running, voltage only drops down to 13.5 but soon charges right back up to 14.5. Battery is showing good as well. Still cant seem to figure why all the lights illuminate?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
So I have still been driving on the same alternator, the lights on the dash still come on and go off sporadically. I have checked the voltage recently and alternator is charging and pulling about 14.5 v constant. With ac wide open, stereo blasting(with amp and subs), lights on bright, and cooling fans running, voltage only drops down to 13.5 but soon charges right back up to 14.5. Battery is showing good as well. Still cant seem to figure why all the lights illuminate?
Well the Alternator is changing OK, if is handling that load, and stops at 14.5Volts . Check the wires on the small plug, on the alternator for a good connection.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Refer post #10 for your answer. It would appear that a diode connection within the alternator is intermittent/sporadic.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

well, this is in response to alternator lights illuminating at random. Its been a little over a year and I just replaced the alternator. The other one didn't go out, I just came across Maniac Electric Motors, who does an awesome job with alternators by the way, and couldn't pass up the deal. http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com Anyhow, no more lights illuminating! The car actually seems to run better.