How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM
red97

Stereo swap

The cd player in my 96 lsi starts skipping after about 30 min. of playing time. I am considering all my options.Anyone know if just the cd bottom din can be replaced with either a single or 6 disk unit by Subaru? Would it just plug into the back of the factory radio?There are some of these units on ebay listed under Subaru audio. There are also some single din "factory" radio/single disk units listed as buy it now items. These appear to be offered by an outfit called "Steal a deal electronics".Anyone have any experiance with these units? I would like any replacement to be as Subaru as possible. Any help would be apreciated.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Hater

get a WRX 6 disc in dash changer.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Green1995SVX

I have a 04 Baja Turbo 6 disc in dash headunit. The sound quality is incredible compared to the stock SVX unit.

Mike
Old 02-25-2004, 11:04 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The factory CD player does plug into the head unit as you guessed. Sounds like the WRX 6 cd in-dash changer is a direct swap.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:33 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

swap fairly easy, be careful when trying to pull din bottom out. Find the three screws on the bottom bracket. kind of hidden and hard to get to (for me). stereo flip up cover kind of gets in the way.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Superbeast

Dosn't the main head unit control and display the indash 6 disk unit? If so, it may fit and even plug in but you would have no way to control it.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
I have info on the cables

In my locker. It's great to have 6 whole cd's at my finger tips and the illumination and the antenna work the way they should. my 6 disk changer/cassette / receiver came from an 03 WRX off ebay for about 180.00

PM me for installation help
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Removing and replacing the SVX radio is very easy. Here's my web page with detailed instructions and many pictures...

SVX Audio Installation

The SVX's CD player is a separate, single-DIN sized module that plugs into the AM/FM/cassette unit.

The WRX radio is a combination AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD in one double-DIN sized housing. You can install one of these in an SVX, but you'll need to remove both your old AM/FM/cassette and old CD player. Several people here on the forums can tell you about the extra installation steps required (slight modifications to the SVX's radio mounting "cage" [bracket] and to a metal structural piece in the dash behind the radio).

I've only seen pictures, but the Baja radio appears to be an AM/FM/CD unit, still as one double-DIN sized housing.

So the WRX and Baja radios won't plug into the SVX factory AM/FM/cassette unit. If you want to replace just your CD player, you'll need to find another one from an SVX.

Mike (Green1995SVX)- Did you have to do any metal work on your Baja radio like what's necessary for the WRX radios?

Anyone- Does/did Subaru even sell a 6-CD single-DIN unit that can be added to the SVX AM/FM/cassette unit? (I don't think they do/did)

Also, note that the SVX uses a different power/speaker connector than any other Subaru. So if you want to replace your radio with one from another Subaru model, you will need to get wiring harnesses both for the SVX and for the new radio. Please see my post in the For Sale forum.

If the price of a replacement Subaru CD module or whole AM/FM/CD combo unit approaches $200, consider after-market. You can get more features (e.g., ability to play MP3 CD-Rs) for that much, and usually higher power too.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdc

Mike (Green1995SVX)- Did you have to do any metal work on your Baja radio like what's necessary for the WRX radios?
Yes, the exact same work is required.

Mike