Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
tranny question

will a 2001 legacy transmission fit a 94 svx without having to worry about matching gear ratios? will it bolt up?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:44 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Auto??? if so then I don't think so... almost all the Subaru Autl trannys that are with Boxer 4 engines have either 4.11 final or 4.44.... This dosen't mean that you wouldn't beable to put it in... Infact this means that if you did end up putting it in with someother work done you would have a car that turned out to be nearly a second quicker from 0-60mph!!!! 4.44 final makes for some fast acceleration!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:52 PM

It should bolt up, but you'll need a different TCU/TCM, you'll have to deal with a major mess with wiring harnesses and not sure if the new TCM will properly connect to the ECU. They've changed/added more sensors in the 4EAT version 2.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Come on, guys. You both missed the most important detail.

Whether or not the tranny will bolt up, I'm not entirely sure. My gut feeling is 'yes.' But you also need the rear end from the same car because the gear ratios in the front and rear diffs have to match. Since the front diff is housed in the transaxle, you need the rear diff to match it. If you don't, you'll destroy the transfer clutch in a matter of miles and you won't need the rear diff because your car will be FWD.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Maniac modifier

my car is fwd and i just need to remove the tail shaft.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
It should bolt up, but you'll need a different TCU/TCM, you'll have to deal with a major mess with wiring harnesses and not sure if the new TCM will properly connect to the ECU. They've changed/added more sensors in the 4EAT version 2.

is this true, the old sensor won't match up w/ the new ones?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Come on, guys. You both missed the most important detail.

Whether or not the tranny will bolt up, I'm not entirely sure. My gut feeling is 'yes.' But you also need the rear end from the same car because the gear ratios in the front and rear diffs have to match. Since the front diff is housed in the transaxle, you need the rear diff to match it. If you don't, you'll destroy the transfer clutch in a matter of miles and you won't need the rear diff because your car will be FWD.

There is another solution...

Radically diferent tire sizes!

And I have seen it done...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Maniac modifier

so if the sensors are going to be different could i just use the differencial gearbox off the new tranny, because my diff is toasted in the front and thats all i need.

Last edited by TomsSVX; 01-21-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
so if the sensors are going to be different could i just use the differencial gearbox off the new tranny, because my diff is toasted in the front and thats all i need.
That's a good question, and it's a type of mixing and matching that nobody here (as far as I know) has done.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
my car is fwd and i just need to remove the tail shaft.

Wait a sec... there was something about this a while back about someone that had a FWD SVX that he wanted to make a 5 speed... He ended up doing it, but I don't know what route he took... I know the tranny will bold up... The thing that I'd be a little sketchy on is weather or not the TCU will hook up to the SVX's ECU... That could be your problem....

First thing you have to do is findout if the TCU will hook up ok...
Next thing you have to do is find out what the Final Drive ratio is... Get the rear diff ftom that car and swap out the SVX's internal fot the other cars internals...
Then ya should be alright... I would say that that should be the only things that ya have to worry about really... Good luck

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:11 PM

www.subaru.com has tech info section, you can pay $20 and download all necessary parts of the manuals for the recent models (they promised to add SVX manuals but last time I checked they never did).

SVX TCU communication with ECU is very simple - the only signal TCU can send is "back off power, I'm changing gears".
Newer TCMs exchange much more information, including atmospheric pressure (to adjust shifts to compensate for loss of power at altitude) - you can't wire it directly to SVX ECU. You might be able to leave them disconnected from each other, but it will affects the shifts - you'll be getting full power during shifts, not good.

Whether you could use the old TCU and new tranny is also a good question. New tranny does not have a brake band, it has an extra clutch instead. It also has one more sensor (used to detect slippage and measure clutch engagement time). It might have more solenoids - I'm not sure. Brake band could affect your shifts quality, extra sensor is somewhat optional - existing TCU cannot learn tranny shift patterns and adjust for wear anyway.
An extra solenoid would be a showstopper...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Maniac modifier

i do not plan on using the whole transmission, i want to know whether or not the differencial can be removed and bolted into the svc diff. My diff gears and bearings are toasted and need replacing. Can anyone tell em the possible final drive ratios for the 01 legacy? Also if anyone wants an auto from a 01 legacy with 14k on it pm me it will be up for sale in 3 weeks.