Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
mtbikerco

tranny resister

hi there,
I have heard a lot about removing the tranny resistor located behind the battery and am getting a lot of do it and a lot of dont do it. I am just wondering what exactly it does, pros and cons of removing it or just any ideas you might have on it.

cheers
Old 01-18-2004, 09:31 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I never got the chance to do this, but from what I gather it forces fill line pressure into every shift... Makes the shifts quick and hard, eliminates slippage that causes heat... Not quite sure about the pros and cons...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
deruvian

When I removed the resistor on my SVX, I definitely noticed some pros and cons...

When accelerating at speeds of 30 - 35 mph and above, the shifting is very quick and definitely a little hard. The *typical* SVX tranny shifts nice and smooth with the resistor plugged in, but removing it eliminates the smoothness by forcing full line pressure, and thereby forcing quicker shifting. This makes for less wear and tear on the tranny, and definitely a little less heat buildup.

However, at cruising speeds below 30 - 35 mph, the tranny hunts for gears a lot. This sort of creates continuous and unnecessary shifting, which is also very quick and pretty hard (just like above). It seems to hunt a little bit less when the gear selector is in "D" rather than "3".

The "controlled" smooth shifting with the resistor plugged in isn't technically healthy for your transmission, but my guess is that the continuous gear-hunting isn't entirely healthy for your transmission either.

Take your pick... But I would ultimately install the Smallcar stage 1 shift kit if I were you. It is a very simple install, doesn't cost much, and will give you the pros of both the resistor being plugged and unplugged... on the fly.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:41 AM
mtbikerco

cheers

cheers for the info, i will go ahead and invest in the shift kit.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
The Molinator

smallcar.com shift kit

GET IT! It works great!

P.S. Install wires in kit as shown in my locker photo for correct function. Others have installed it incorrectly.
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
mtbikerco

big enough picture

bloody hell mate! That is one huge picture. I run on dialup here and that thing took forever! but thank you for posting it. you dont have photoshop or similar product to reduce that betty a tad?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
The Molinator

POSTER/not photo!

I have to admit that I'm computer challenged! It took about 10 minutes to load from my photos (each photo!). Sorry, I don't know how to shrink/size the photos??? Is that here on this site, or do I do that before loading to locker? You better not get involved with me on second thought, I'll probably take you down if you try to help>> I'm a little slow!

Hope the photo helps (others have hooked to the wrong lugs!).

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!