IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-17-2003, 03:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Noice!

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Good job Nick. Sounds like you had a blast .
Thanks - I did have a blast. For next season, the Justy's getting some 13-inch wheels (allowed under the rules for stock-category cars with 12-inch wheels) and some decent tires. I'm not sure which tires are legal for the class, and I'm not sure yet how much I really want to spend. Once I figure those two things out, I'll keep those wheels and tires just for autocrossing and commute on the 12s.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Let me know when you're ready Nick

I've got a connection for deeply discounted Hoosier racing tires

Todd
Old 11-17-2003, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Let me know when you're ready Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I've got a connection for deeply discounted Hoosier racing tires

Todd
Hoosier doesn't seem to make anything in a 13 narrow enough for my car - or at least Tire Rack doesn't sell them. The widest rim I can have is a 13x5, and I don't think a 225 would fit on those very well.

I'm not sure whether or not an 'autocross' tire (like Hoosier's A3S03 or 'Autocrosser') is legal to use in a stock class. The rules, as stated by the SCCA, confuse me. I know that certain classes restrict tire type - like STS and STX, but I don't know about stock classes. I don't want to spend $600 on tires only to find out that I'm about to be killed in a street prepared class.

But I will absolutely let you know if I can make use of such tires - thanks, Todd.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: Re: Let me know when you're ready Nick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
[B]

I know that certain classes restrict tire type - like STS and STX, but I don't know about stock classes.

I can't claim to know what turns Justys into "barely legal Type R" machines, but Harry Newman runs racing tires on his '97 SVX & stays within in the limits of G stock.

Ron (wondering how a Justy would do on four donuts).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:11 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Let me know when you're ready Nick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Mummert
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I know that certain classes restrict tire type - like STS and STX, but I don't know about stock classes.

I can't claim to know what turns Justys into "barely legal Type R" machines, but Harry Newman runs racing tires on his '97 SVX & stays within in the limits of G stock.

Ron (wondering how a Justy would do on four donuts).
G-Stock has got to be a hard category for the SVX to be competitive in. There were a couple G-Stock cars at the autocross this weekend - a Celica Tubo All-Trac and a new VW GTi. They were fast. I imagine that they were both considerably lighter and also not tied down to an automatic.

Well, that's a start. I'm sorry, but sometimes I have a hard time remembering who's who - what's Harry's handle here? I'll ask him about the tires. Thanks!

Nick (thinking that, instead of donuts, he should maybe bake some giant Cheerios...)

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: Re: Re: Re: Let me know when you're ready Nick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
[B]

G-Stock has got to be a hard category for the SVX to be competitive in. There were a couple G-Stock cars at the autocross this weekend - a Celica Tubo All-Trac and a new VW GTi. They were fast. I imagine that they were both considerably lighter and also not tied down to an automatic.

Well, that's a start. I'm sorry, but sometimes I have a hard time remembering who's who - what's Harry's handle here? I'll ask him about the tires. Thanks!

Harry is newsvx. He IS competetive in G stock. In my opinion, an automatic is an advantage in autocross. Miss ONE shift with a manual tranny, & you've lost the race.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:29 AM

Registered SVX
I forgot to mention one of the best parts of the weekend. I got my drag-racing friend (with whom I also worked at Outrage in MI) to bring his daily-driver Impulse RS. He was very hesitant, and worried he'd break his car. He wavered back and forth until I found the line that convinced him:

'Hey,' I said, 'you're not having a bachelor party, and you're getting married in a week. This is your bachelor party.'

'You know what? You're right - I'll go.'

He and I walked the course together Saturday morning. At one point, he said, 'I dont know, man - this looks like it takes skill.' He was definitely worried about hitting stuff and looking like an ass.

Standing over a cone, he said sadly, 'poor little guys, <sniff>, they never stood a chance.'

He did a fine job and in the end beat me by about a second. He's in G-stock Novice with that Impulse, but we were still comparing times.

I knew he had a good time, but I didn't know he was hooked. Yesterday he came to my office and said, 'okay, so next year we're going hard-core. What are we doing to prepare during the off-season?'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-20-2003, 08:43 AM

Registered SVX
Okay, I added photos from the autocross to my locker. Sorry that they're a little dark - it was a really gloomy day and neither of the two people using the camera knew how to, so I think they took them all with a flash. :rolleye: Ah, well...

The Impulse belongs to the aforementioned friend I brow-beat into going. He now seems to be a converted autocrosser. He'll still drag the Mustang, but I think he'll tweak the Impulse for autocrossing. That's good, because a turbo AWD car shouldn't be confined to a strip, for crying out loud!

Edit: All of the cones you see knocked over are pointers. So don't think I knocked 'em over - because I didn't hit a single cone all weekend.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Too bad my Justy is not in auto-x condition. I need a new engine head (or possibly head gasket) and a new 2nd gear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: