SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:35 PM
alacrity024

omg you guys.. this is too weird..

my father worked for ladder company 3 in cambridge, mass. for a few years. he broke his back in a fire (a hunk of 4x4 fell on him) and ever since then, he's been living in alaska.. i heard from him the other day and apparently he's been driving around in a black wrx.

by the way, i am offended at everything on planet earth.

-adam
Old 10-23-2003, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i beilive it, the svx has somemassiv top end, to be delt with. i raced a wrx top end wise with its pretty BOV sounds and took it,

i guess one of the perks of owning a svx . nice top end
Old 10-23-2003, 09:19 AM
bthomas

believable? Somewhat.. However that stuff about the power light not coming on when he jammed the gas makes me not believe it.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Forget the stupid power light thing already! That is where you came into this arguement flailing your sword and it's not that great a defense. I know you just were grasping for straws because every post by Nick you have to attack. For what reason, I don't know, maybe you are justified, I haven't read them all. But I just read Rob's poll before this and so I know where you are all coming from and what sides you are on.

I'm just gathering from the context that Nick seems to post a lot of controversial stuff. I don't have time to read it all, but sounds like a lot of it might be misinformed, maybe even made up. I would hope that those that know for sure he is wrong are trying to correct him in a constructive way. Or if you can't do that, just ignore him and the posts will quickly fade into the archives and won't hurt anybody.

As for this particular post, yes, I have heard more reputable members in the past (before most of your time here) state that it is quite feasible for an SVX to beat a WRX at top end. It has been proposed in the past that the SVX can beat just about any car on the road from 60mph on. Maybe not, but certainly a WRX is possible. And as for the powerlight. I'm not sure if Nick knows how power mode works or not, there are so many myths out there about it as it is. So whatever he was trying to do, who cares, the fact that he didn't get the power light on is of little consequence. It has been posted a hundred times over the years that it is a little tricky to get that light on sometimes, and I'm sure it depends on the car too. I know on my particular car, it is maybe 50% of the time I can get into power mode, even if I try to do the exact procedure you have mentioned. And in my car at least, power mode isn't really necessary highway speeds to get some serious passing acceleration - light or no light, 100+mph sneaks up on you really quick!

So you all can have your little arguements and whatever, but it is just making you all look bad to those of us that have been here for years and somehow managed to have a thriving community without these kinds of conflicts. I just wanted to state that this particular thread was one where the argueing was totally unjustified, like I said it was grasping at straws. We have pages of arugeing and threats here because a guy's stupid power light didn't come on. And no, I'm not defending Nick here either, he jumped right in with the threats when he was questioned. Although I'm not sure that he ever would have got that way if everyone had just left him alone to his mostly innocent stories, and diplomatically corrected him if the claims got beyond innocent and needed correcting for the good of others (like if he proposed a dangerous mod or something).

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
this is one of the reasons i post so much. i am actually quite misinformed on a lot of things and i like to get [honest] feedback.

i never lie, but some of the things i say that may or may not be true, i totally believe in.
then theres things i know that happened that i have to brag about.
all in all if im never provoked my ugly face wont show, but i have a history of taking serious offense to peoples opinions if they contradict my beliefs.
ill try to keep that demon at bay.

edit: i just closed the other thread. if there is nothing else i will close this one in a little while.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 10-23-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I almost hate to add to this thread given that it's become a controversy... but some things I might add;

1. The power light varies from car to car. In my 95, I rarely saw it... in my 94 I saw it all the time... I've still yet to see it in my 96 despite mashing the gas frequently.

2. Power light... it's a light... uses a lightbulb... these CAN burn out you know.

3. The SVX has a lot of top end power... more than a lot of cars on the road. As far as beating most other cars... no. However, a WRX is tuned for mid range torque... the wastgate on the turbo is set wrong for high-end. Of course, if it WAS set for high end the car would be a dog off the line. HOWEVER... if the WRX has a 5-speed and is driven by a good driver who can keep it effectively in the midrange at high speed... good luck keeping up with it. An automatic WRX is NOT a problem for the SVX from about 50 and up.

4. I do not condone road racing of any kind. It's VERY unsafe, especially with idiot drivers like you find in almost every state (I learned to drive in Europe where the quality of driving is MUCH higher and the standards to pass a test are very strict). All it takes is for one "self-proclaimed-defender-of-the-public-good" to pull out in front of you because you're "... driving dangerously..." and it's all over. I've seen it... experienced it... and when I did a brief stint as en EMT helped cut people out of the results... when there was enough left to rescue/recover.

NikFu... I take a lot of what you post with a pinch of salt... but will happily eat my hat if you prove the naysayers wrong.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
this is one of the reasons i post so much. i am actually quite misinformed on a lot of things and i like to get [honest] feedback.

i never lie, but some of the things i say that may or may not be true, i totally believe in.
then theres things i know that happened that i have to brag about.
all in all if im never provoked my ugly face wont show, but i have a history of taking serious offense to peoples opinions if they contradict my beliefs.
ill try to keep that demon at bay.

edit: i just closed the other thread. if there is nothing else i will close this one in a little while.
Admitting that you're misinformed on a number of issues is a very adult thing to do, Nik. I, for one, appreciate that. And you'll find that there's a great deal of experience and expertise on this board from which to draw on.

But you need to extend that to your 'defense of your beliefs.' I understand that you may 'believe' things, but given contradictory evidence, an examination of those 'beliefs' is in order.

The best example I can give is the fuel additive issue in another thread. Given some evidence that you were incorrect about it, you actually said (and I'm paraphrasing), 'I don't care about the evidence, this is what it says on the bottle and I believe it.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

my father lost an arm, i take alot of offense to comments like that.
I would too, if I new what it was all about. I don't, so I won't.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:52 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i dont know why he said that, i just hate hearing stuff like that, and then jokes on TV of people pretending to get their hands chopped off...they really make angered...
phil
Old 10-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

I would too, if I new what it was all about. I don't, so I won't.

Harvey.
For those that didn't get it, I think he was just referring to an American pop-culture reference. There was an American Television show back in the 50's or 60's I believe called "The Fugitive" in which the main character was framed for murder. The actual killer was a man with only one arm, but no one believed him when he said "It wasn't me, it was the one-armed man!" During the course of the show, the fugitive (he was a fugitive because he escaped his wrongful imprisonment) went around trying to clear his name by finding the one armed man, in the meantime helping out those in need he came across. There was also a movie based on this premise with the same title in the early 1990's starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. Anyway, that is where it comes from, as time goes on I guess the reference will become more and more obscure and people that don't know the source could take offense to it, or just plain not understand it.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
i dont know why he said that, i just hate hearing stuff like that, and then jokes on TV of people pretending to get their hands chopped off...they really make angered...
phil
Hey Phil, you were posting this as I wrote my previous post (not sure why I wrote that, I definitely am not in the mood to defend what's his name, but I knew where he was coming from when he wrote it).

I always wondered if there was any outcry to "The Fugitive" by the amputee community, especially when the new version (the Harrison Ford movie) came out in the politically correct 90's. You know, since the killer was a one armed guy with a prosthetic arm. I mean, it worked into the story well because it gave Richard Kimball a little lead into how to find the killer and stuff, but... hmmmmmmm

Old 10-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Admitting that you're misinformed on a number of issues is a very adult thing to do, Nik. I, for one, appreciate that. And you'll find that there's a great deal of experience and expertise on this board from which to draw on.

But you need to extend that to your 'defense of your beliefs.' I understand that you may 'believe' things, but given contradictory evidence, an examination of those 'beliefs' is in order.

The best example I can give is the fuel additive issue in another thread. Given some evidence that you were incorrect about it, you actually said (and I'm paraphrasing), 'I don't care about the evidence, this is what it says on the bottle and I believe it.'
i have no other way of explaining why my mileage skyrocketed after using the booster. maybe we just have really crappy fuel up here and the stuff cleaned it up. fact is nobody can say for sure.

and from here on out im not going into anymore of my beliefs. it causes trouble.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx

4. I do not condone road racing of any kind. It's VERY unsafe, especially with idiot drivers like you find in almost every state (I learned to drive in Europe where the quality of driving is MUCH higher and the standards to pass a test are very strict).

NikFu... I take a lot of what you post with a pinch of salt... but will happily eat my hat if you prove the naysayers wrong.
id take something like that more seriously, but in this place i feel i need to hone my skill. i almost got involved in at least 6 accidents the other day from people just not paying attention, people driving ludicrously fast in high density areas, and people not paying attention to people driving fast in these areas.

i wish people with non-perf cars and slow reactions wouldnt go above the speed limit. nothing i can do. i can only keep myself from hitting other people.

for the record i only "race" on highways, when i feel i have ample room for braking. this by no means justifies breaking the law, but im not trying to die.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

For those that didn't get it, I think he was just referring to an American pop-culture reference. There was an American Television show back in the 50's or 60's I believe called "The Fugitive" in which the main character was framed for murder. The actual killer was a man with only one arm, but no one believed him when he said "It wasn't me, it was the one-armed man!" During the course of the show, the fugitive (he was a fugitive because he escaped his wrongful imprisonment) went around trying to clear his name by finding the one armed man, in the meantime helping out those in need he came across. There was also a movie based on this premise with the same title in the early 1990's starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. Anyway, that is where it comes from, as time goes on I guess the reference will become more and more obscure and people that don't know the source could take offense to it, or just plain not understand it.
Well I got away with it then and I'll get away with it again.

They'll never get me.

Harvey.
ps going away for a couple of weeks, see yers.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:21 PM
ChrisR

I have a few questions. bthomas How old are you?

What is a power light? I feel like the stupidest person in the world for not seeing my power light go on. I've never seen one before (I have a `92, so maybe it came in later years? ).
Closed Thread