Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Coolhand

Talking Newie & I want to buy an SVX ASAP !!

Hi guys,and a big thanks to JamSvx for all the advice he has already lent me....
Well as you can see from the topic,I want an SVX,and I want it now !! No,I'm not impulsive,I have waited 10 years for the prices to become resonable in my language...and now is the time,so anybody out there with knowledge of a decent one for sale,under $15000 let me know.I have driven one recently going for 10K and other than it being a Jap import it was a marvellous experience ! I've been warned away from these grey imports...and so have had to temper my enthusiasm to buy too soon.I am going to look at another which is a locally imported model,also a 92,but with full service history...the owner is currently considering my offer. Lets hope i find one soon,and if anybody knows of any Melbourne based owners,please let me know. Cheers to all.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi and welcome!

Don't worry...we will you tearing up the streets of Melbourne in an SVX in no time!!

A great bunch of people on here and invaluable knowledge throughout!

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Welcome Luke!

[Just guessing ]

Hope you find a car real soon.

Small word of advice. James is knowledgeable, so stay close to him on any decisions. Be careful about buying the first car you find. Do not "fall in love" with it until you have had it thoroughly checked out mechanically, particularly the gearbox.

The SVX is basically very strong and very well built. However it is a complex car, so if the previous owner/s were uncaring, unloving or lax with the servicing, it can build up to some expensive problems. James will advise you the same, buy the best you can get. Preferably one owner, full service history, low miles if possible.

With the flat six mill, these cars have been described as Subaru's Porsche. Well, nobody in their right mind would buy a Porsche without full and correct service history, or a Ferrari either. Same applies here in principle because of the complexity, although in fairness to the car it does not need the huge service bills a Ferrari would build up.

Great to see another respondent, and don't be afraid to ask advice, this is a big forum, someone, somewhere here will know the answer.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-19-2003, 07:46 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

I s'pose you don't mind me calling you Luke either. Welcome, but unfortunately there are not many around at the moment. I keep my eyes open and search the car sale sites but its pretty lean pickins out there. Certainly will let you know if I see one. Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site. This is your best resourse for answers that you may need. Hope you find a great SVX real soon. They are a great car.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-19-2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe!

On pure mechanical matters I would recommend Joe, Harvey and *lists about 500 other members including our US friends* but from our little 'list', we keep an eye on car movements, sale prices and the like.

There is a green 1996 up here that may be a good buy at $15,000 subject to the transmission being checked...k's are about 114,000 and service is slighty patchy over the last 20,000km but it may have all been remedied (long story but can tell you via phone etc).

Seller bought it for around that money, tried to make about $10,000 - failed (surprisingly!) and has been dropping price ever since.

Good luck with the silver one though - let us know how it goes

Cheers

James

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Coolhand

Smile

Thanks all for the warm welcome,I received a call this morning from a fellow in NSW(via Jamsvx) who has a black and silver 92 and has recently done the trans,replaced the radiator due to a hairline crack,replaced the rear wheel bearings,done the timing belts etc....102,000 klms..so far sounds very good with about 60,000 Less than the blk&Silver one down here in Melb I was checking out...looks like I'll have to fly up to check it out,he's in Daley's Point,near Woy Woy...if any of you guys are in the area..wink,wink..any possibility of taking a squiz on my behalf ??!! Might save me the drama,at least to sight the vehicle first hand.Let me know guys,thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:52 PM

Lightbulb Grabs megaphone.....so how about a cruise to Woy Woy??

Lets try and save you the flight and try and get a run up to Woy Woy organised!

Only up the road from Sydney, we can come back the Old Pacific Highway, meet up with Countess and hopefully Kienan (ex Targa car) and Chris (yellow SVX) will be able to meet us there.

Anyone in for this? If not, I can go and take photos, drive it etc.

Cheers

James

Old 06-19-2003, 10:47 PM

Registered SVX
Do not know why you guys are so against imports from Japan. You call them " grey " for some reason. They are staple diet over here and very, very good value for money, provided you buy from a reputable dealer which means a guarantee is included. Your prices appear to be well above ours.

My SVX is an import and had close to 100k on it when I purchased it over 3 yrs ago. I have all the original service data and K's recorded were genuine. Nothing had been replaced on the car and it was as good as new and still is.

I have had two faults to attend to. The O ring and now a windscreen washer nozzle. $20 would cover the lot with some to spare. I would never ever touch a car which had been " repaired " by who knows who. It appears to me that major faults occur after cars have been messed with but Subaru always cop the flak.

All of this is not I appreciate of any help but may be of interest.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Coolhand

Re: Grabs megaphone.....so how about a cruise to Woy Woy??

Thanks for the offer James,I can't state how appreciative I would be of you taking the time to check it out for me,short of that if you give me the go ahead,dinner and drinks will be on me before I drive it back down to Melb !!!!...I am yet to hear back from the local guy on my offer,but the one in Woy Woy you put me onto has significantly less klms on it and the owner seemed far more open to negotiation anyway,he already agreed to my offer,which I said was based on his description of the car,but still open to further discussion upon firsthand sighting/driving of the car.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:56 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

James, let me know via the site when you might take a run up to Woy Woy to look at that car. I may just come for a drive if I have the time. Mark.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
A bit out of the Way Way

Quote:
Originally posted by Coolhand
Thanks all for the warm welcome,I received a call this morning from a fellow in NSW(via Jamsvx) who has a black and silver 92 and has recently done the trans,replaced the radiator due to a hairline crack,replaced the rear wheel bearings,done the timing belts etc....102,000 klms..so far sounds very good with about 60,000 Less than the blk&Silver one down here in Melb I was checking out...looks like I'll have to fly up to check it out,he's in Daley's Point,near Woy Woy...if any of you guys are in the area..wink,wink..any possibility of taking a squiz on my behalf ??!! Might save me the drama,at least to sight the vehicle first hand.Let me know guys,thanks.
Coolhand

That one sounds good, and worth checking out.

If the boys from Sydney cruise up there and it looks OK to them, you could always get an engineer to run a basics check on it. Do you guys have the AA or the RAC down there to perform these checks?

Best of luck with it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-21-2003, 02:30 AM

Hey

Mark, I'll keep everyone in the loop about a Woy Woy run.

Joe, we have an NRMA inspection service which is good for a general overview and a 'third pair of eyes' - if we can get a few SVX'ers then we should be able to cover all bases what with our familiarity with the car.

I know that Blake, who assisted me, is very knowledgable and should be able to identify any mechanical issues - many hands make new SVX owner!

Trevor, with the grey imports, they too are very popular over here (Skylines especially) however with the SVX, the thing is that with an Australian delivered one it is hard enough to try and chase down a history but with an SVX import, the almost complete absence of a service history (and one that can be chased) not to mention that the ones that I know of here are 4WS (zero aftermarket knowledge of them come servicing time!) and the fact that the OZ delivered ones came with a sunroof standard make, considering the prices are about the same, an OZ delivered one a 'safer' choice.

Cheers

James

Old 06-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Coolhand

Thanks guys,btw James,whats the story with the green SVX you're talking about ?I prefer that colour if given a choice !
I had alook at the silver grey one down here,well it was o.k,but firstly the colour scheme is one of the least inspiring of the choices Subaru offered,but this one was sooo filthy,the car probably "could" look quite alright with an extensive detail,in and out.If I were the owner I wouldn't even think of showing a prospective buyer my car in that state !!It really didn't compare to the Jap import I drove,which sold for 10K.Although this one probably drove as well and has full history from the one owner.It just felt very neglected from the cleanliness aspect,although the owner made a point of his very routine servicing at the same workshop since it was purchased.He also recently had the misfortune of cracking his windscreen care of a stray stone,what that costs to replace I'd like to know.And finally I'd like to know what various interior trims were offered locally.The Jap import I looked at had really nice grey leather and suede front and rear seats.This one was all black leather....what have you guys here got ?
Old 06-22-2003, 01:09 AM

There was a green one advertied (QOM-114) a few weeks ago.

There is also now another green one, SVX-000, that was advertised in yesterdays Sydney Morning Herald - asking price is a bit high for the k's though!

Australia only ever got a black leather interior - Japan got beige, black, grey and also that two-tone that you described. I think the US also got the same range.

The triple toneis not my favourite BUT the middle colour (silver, not the lower half grey) was available as a full body colour - looks brilliant!! If I ended up getting a triple tone I was going to respray the roof and lower body part so it became an overall silver

James

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: