How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2002, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
whats wrong

alright well the automatic seatbelt no longer moves forward when the door opens...it used to take a few times of turning the car on and off or leaving it running wiht the door open and it would everntually move but now it doesnt move and hasnt moved for months...i also notice that the safety belt warning light flashes all the time even when the belts are connected lap and shoulder...any ideas as to what this might be???a loose wire perhaps i was thinking???any ideas are truly appreciated
Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 PM
AbdominalSnoman

Please help him, because I have the exact same problem though not as bad. Mine only occurs when it has been raining for a while. What I have to do is open the door before I turn off the car, or if I forget, all I have to do is to put the key back in and turn it to on and it would open immediately.

I was thinking that this might be a problem with the ignition. I have problems with my car picking a random time to completely drain the battery in about 12 hours time. This is with 3 different batteries and a known to be good alternator. I went to Subaru in Greenville, SC and the guy said that it would probably be the ignition being worn. (my 92 has about 120,000 miles so it might be time for this to happen) He said something to the effect of not all of the connections in the ignition work perfectly anymore and that the car may be draining power by thinking it was on. A few days ago I found out that occasionally my radio doesn't turn off my amp and sends out a dc signal to it causing it to extend my speakers a slight bit bit outward. I hope that this instead is the cause of the battery problems. I just wanted to bring this up because I was told that the ignition can get worn and cause strange problems that may relate to the seat belt thing.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
reasons why I hate the auto belt. I think all SVXes do that. My previous SVX did that as well.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Kolombian013X

Nope I got a 94. No auto seatbelt.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:09 PM

be careful...

mine did the same thing as you were describing if you didnt open the door before you shut the car off...forget it you had to try various things to get it to work...after many months of that it finally died...does anyone know if its possible to mount a manual seatbelt in its place like from the svx's that arent cursed with this damn thing???
Old 12-09-2002, 11:00 PM
AbdominalSnoman

i'm pretty lucky then I guess. Mine has stayed exactly the same for about the last 2 years.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:53 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
94.5 + came with manual seat belts. You can switch them. It's not that hard.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:38 PM

any idea

of where i would go to find a manual seatbelt from a 94 and up???maybe ebay???ill check but it seems like it might be too unique of an item to find in ebay...any other ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated..thanks again
Old 12-10-2002, 07:48 PM

I am of little help here, but mine does this after I have driven in a light mist with the window partly down. after a day to dry out it works fine again. I seem to remember older threads that somehow this mechanism is subject to wet and/or humid conditions (which should come as no surprise to you that FLA has this in abundance). maybe it just needs a cleaning to be fixed although I admit I've not tried to clean mine yet.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:42 PM
$VX

Mine works great. >knocks on wood<