How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Registered SVX
Car rolls in park

Ok, I've known for a while now that my LF cv axle was starting to go bad from a tear in the boot that I found too late. The other the day my GF had to use my Focus so I took the SVX that was outside in 40deg weather. As I got closer to work I noticed that the car had a oscillating pull to the right (it felt rotational) and got worse I sped up. Work 8, get out and start to drive home and the pull is bad with the car wobbling at speeds above 30. I slow down it kind goes away, I speed up the same, at cruise the wobble begins. So I take the long way home trying to find a spot where the car was kind of happy.

Get home and as I'm turning left (the only left on the whole trip,lol) in to my drive way I hear and feel a loud clunk and rattle( broken metal sounding), I'm assuming the axle just gave up the ghost, whew. I pull the parking brake and put it in park (incline) and notice that the car is rolling backwards. I pull the parking brake tighter and it stops. Get back turn the car over and drive up and down the drive way but the same scenario occurs.

My question is would the bad axle cause the car to not engage the park? the shifter is fine and didn't notice anything different in the morning till I heard and felt that loud clunk in the afternoon.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Re: Car rolls in park

Park can work fine, but if both front wheels do not have traction (and if one of the CV shafts is broken that side will not have traction) than the front differential will spin allowing the car to roll. Happened to me when I jacked up a front wheel to change a flat and the car started to roll on the slight incline.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Car rolls in park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Park can work fine, but if both front wheels do not have traction (and if one of the CV shafts is broken that side will not have traction) than the front differential will spin allowing the car to roll. Happened to me when I jacked up a front wheel to change a flat and the car started to roll on the slight incline.
Thanks, I had a feeling it was something like that. Time to order some parts