How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX
Possible TQ Lockup issue

My 92 has a 4.44 in it out of a 98 or 99 Forester, Its been an awesome trans since day 1 of installing. I used my original TQ from the stock 3.54 in it and used the stock 92 TCU.

The issue only occurs when manually in 3rd. at around 45-60 I can feel the Lockup working I think. it feels like the trans shifts down like a 1/4 of a gear? (I know that sounds weird, but thats about the only way to explain it) if similar speed is kept it will kick in and out of this "1/4" gear. Its annoying as hell and I'm trying to figure out why I'm noticing it SOO much with the 4.44 and I honestly dont remember it ever doing so with the 3.54.

Is this TQ Lockup occuring? and if so, is there any way to operate the lockup via toggle switch? For most of my daily driving its in town so I prefer to keep my car in 3rd rather than put it in drive and have it shift constantly from 3/4/3/4/3/4/3/4/3/4. Does Power mode stop the lockup from occuring? I've been meaning to do the power switch mod thing so if power does disable lockup i think my problem will be solved once I do the mod..

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Re: Possible TQ Lockup issue

power mode cause the torque converter to lock up, that why, they put a switch in to stop the tq from locking up for better gas mileage.
the opposite what you want to happen. but give it a try.

Last edited by kjoyes; 05-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Registered SVX

It still does it in Power mode. I have mine rigged with the A6 to A4 wire mod so my manual button is now my power mode.

I'm wondering if changed to a newer style TQ if that would help?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
power mode cause the torque converter to lock up, that why, they put a switch in to stop the tq from locking up for better gas mileage.
the opposite what you want to happen. but give it a try.
I think you're confused. The power mode mod prevents the TCU from locking up the torque converter. Torque converter lockup improves gas mileage.

So it what you're experiencing "slipping"? Or something else?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX

I do not think the SVX TCU is supposed to lock the TC in third under any circumstances.

Tapani
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 AM

Registered SVX

no its not slipping. Def not slippage at all. Car still outpulls most of the cars on the road here.

its literally a half shift between 2 and 3. If I leave it locked in 3rd and accelerate to 1/2 throttle it will run through the gears 1 to 2 to 3 and then it does this weird half shift down. Its almost like it downshifted slightly, but its NOT second gear. I guess the only real way to explain it, is it almost feels like a 5 speed automatic. That weird shift down from third and then back up.

I'm wondering if its a 4.44 thing cuz I've never felt it in any legacies with 3.9 or 4.11's in it

I'm gonna grab the tcu out of the 95 @ my shop and see if it still acts up with that computer in it. It could be a software problem or something with the early SVX's.. mine was made in 04/91, maybe they did a software upgrade on the tcu later on in 91?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
I'm wondering if its a 4.44 thing
Mine did not do anything like what you are describing.

If the revs rise and then fall under constant acceleration in third what else could it be than slip?

Are you travelling at a speed low enough to allow for a down shift to second? Maybe your TPS gives a bad signal (full throttle) and the tranny almost tries to down shift but then decides against it? A faul in the valve body?

Tapani
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Registered SVX

I can promise you 110%, its not slipping. The fact that it only does it in 3rd gear (with the shifter in 3rd) When it occurs its with constant pressure on the throttle (not like I was driving at 35% throttle and then floored it for a second causing it to down shift)

Its one of those things I guess someone has to drive it to feel it to understand what I'm talking about. I wish I had a scanner or the adaptor and the software to hook my laptop up to the ECU/TCU.

Its about time for a tranny service, so I'll throw a new filter in there and clean fluid, change the TCU and then see if that takes car of it.

If it was a TPS Issue, it the problem would happen in every gear, not just in 3rd. A solenoid must be opening when it shouldnt....ffs I honestly have no clue, Automatic transmissions were something that just never interested me. Now I'm regretting not taking a few classes about trannys
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX

This is an interesting issue...

In a third to second shift the high clutch will release and the band apply "simultaniously"..... If something goes wrong it will feel like a flare .... (high clutch slip). Maybe your line pressure fluctuates enough to release the high clutch just enough?

If your revs do increase and decrease the only other thing which will result in this would be the stator one way clutch slipping and grabbing within the TC... and the revs should be below "coupling speed" of the TC (what ever that is in an SVX / Legacy, depending on where your TC is from) when that happens.

Beats me

Tapani
Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

when it happens it lasts maybe 2 seconds, shift to 2 shift to 3, slight downshift, back to 3, shift to 4. I'm gonna get a line pressure gauge and a long enough hose that I can run the gauge out the back of my hood so I can watch the pressures when its happening.

There is a guy in my town who is an automatic guru, I think its time to hunt him down and have him ride with me.