How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Unhappy Sound from my Wheel!!Never heard anything like it! Help

ok.. ill try and keep it simple. the noise is from the LF wheel area. Its a speed sensitive sound (about once a revolution) that sounds like a quack or to be real "REHHHHHH" and when i get up to speed its a constant sort of high pith whistle, almost like a belt squeal or bird in my wheel. it goes away COMPLETELY when i hit a slight left bank turn. or when i turn right. its there all the time when im going straight. the slightest change in steering will make the sound come and go but its always there when im straight.
i put the car up in the air and spun the wheel... nothing
i knew i needed brakes.. rotors are done. a little wavy, but theres lots of pad. and no pulsation unless braking from 120-130kph. i serviced the brakes anyways. calipers free. sanded off the rust lip on the rotors just to eliminate,, lubed everything, clean hub, etc.. nothing is rubbing anywhere.. backing plate is ok. cv chafts look ok, no bearing play. i checked it all. i cant get the sound to duplicate on a hoist.
it was raining after this mini service and the sound was gone. i thought great. well it stopped raining and it came back with a vengance. i got to a parking lot and was rolling it around in neutral at the wheel with my hands and the noise was right there!! lets say in the brake, wheel bearing, and cv joint "bubble". for the life of me.. i could not pin point the sound. its sounds just how i descbribed, and i have big spoked 18" wheels. i can see and touch everything while the noise is happening and im cluless. its loud!! Oh.. and the sound DOES NOT goo away when i brake.. only when i turn, but comes back when i turn too much or not enough.. what the hell is it..
Final question.. anyone ever heard of brakes making any sort of sound like this?? even with warped rotors? keepp in mind no pulsation 100kph or less. and braking makes no diference to the sound anyway.
if it matters i have a 5speed. please throw any ideas at me.
really sorry for the essay.. i just tried to be as descriptive as possible.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Sound from my Wheel!!Never heard anything like it! Help

Might be good to mention you have aftermarket brakes. Are the slides properly cleaned and greased? From what I have heard dust shields are useless, might want to pull them for good measure.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Registered SVX

Sounds like pads are vibrating . They make a small piece that goes behind the pad to stop it.

Last edited by Conn SVX; 05-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM

My son has my old SVX and is using my account here to post his question. He does not have the Movit brakes on it, OEM on his car and my new 1996 SVX, sold the Movit's.

I asked him to let me hear the noise this morning, believe it or not, it would not make the noise for me? He swears the noise was loud enough to hear a block away.

He's off to buy new rotors and pads and cross his fingers and hope it is the problem, there is just nothing else that makes sense that could be causing this noise.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Maybe the caliper was sticking.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.