SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
Ok, it was code:
P0145 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
Holy cow, I pulled that same code this week for the first time on my SVX as well.

From hanging with Tom (Svxfiles) today and talking to him about the code, the O2 sensor at fault is the third one (behind the transmission). Per Tom, this 3rd O2 sensor isn't used by the ECU to change the afr, but to monitor how efficiently the first two O2 sensors are working (for emissions).

The code is basically saying that it is taking a longer time than specified for your O2 sensor to take a reading. This is probably an indication of age, but could also mean that there's a bunch of crud coating it.

Tom used an appropriate sized wrench and undid the third O2 sensor, cleaned it off with throttle body cleaner, let it air for a while and popped it back in. I'll see if I get the code again. If so, then I'll just get a new O2 sensor later on in the Spring...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
If I read you right, this means that there is the chance that if you pull this same code again that one of your primary O2 sensors is "going away"? By this, I mean that it appears that the 3rd O2 sensor is there to just monitor the job the two primary O2 sensors are doing, which means that either it has gone bad or it is still good and one of the primary O2 sensors is actually on its way out.
Note: I noticed in a picture in your axle replacement thread that the leads coming out of your primary O2 sensors are different - thus leading me to believe that at least one of them has been replaced at one point in time.
-Bill
p.s. did you or Tom happen to measure the resistance on the O2 sensors while you had the car up on the lift?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Chike,
If I read you right, this means that there is the chance that if you pull this same code again that one of your primary O2 sensors is "going away"? By this, I mean that it appears that the 3rd O2 sensor is there to just monitor the job the two primary O2 sensors are doing, which means that either it has gone bad or it is still good and one of the primary O2 sensors is actually on its way out.
Note: I noticed in a picture in your axle replacement thread that the leads coming out of your primary O2 sensors are different - thus leading me to believe that at least one of them has been replaced at one point in time.
-Bill
p.s. did you or Tom happen to measure the resistance on the O2 sensors while you had the car up on the lift?
Bill,

I'm not sure if pulling this code indicates a problem with one of the front two O2 sensors, as they would trip a code on their own. It just seems like something is up with the third O2 sensor that's causing it to take a longer time to get a reading.

Both of my primary O2 sensors were replaced by the dealership I bought the car from last April. I got the receipts for the replacement when I bought the car. As far as I know, they're the same, but one of the 'sheaths' that covers the wires doesn't stay down over the lower wires like the other one...

We didn't measure the resistance of my O2 sensors, btw...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Ah, the old "sheath pretending to be insulation" trick!
Given that the dealership replaced both of the primaries for you, I'm with you on the 3rd sensor just acting up on you. Hope cleaning it up does the trick!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Re: bad o2 sensor = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
Holy cow, I pulled that same code this week for the first time on my SVX as well.

From hanging with Tom (Svxfiles) today and talking to him about the code, the O2 sensor at fault is the third one (behind the transmission). Per Tom, this 3rd O2 sensor isn't used by the ECU to change the afr, but to monitor how efficiently the first two O2 sensors are working (for emissions).

The code is basically saying that it is taking a longer time than specified for your O2 sensor to take a reading. This is probably an indication of age, but could also mean that there's a bunch of crud coating it.

Tom used an appropriate sized wrench and undid the third O2 sensor, cleaned it off with throttle body cleaner, let it air for a while and popped it back in. I'll see if I get the code again. If so, then I'll just get a new O2 sensor later on in the Spring...

-Chike
Old school bump!
Pulled this code today from my SVX:
P0145 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 3)

I did recently have 3 spots on my exhaust system leaking from welds when this code was active. They have since been repaired. I just reset the computer about 10 minutes ago. Will consider removing this O2 sensor, cleaning and re-installing rather than replacing. Just bumping as a reference so I can find this thread easier.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX

i've been dealing with this code for about a year now. i replaced the front (right)sensor and the rear as well. tried the battery disconnect clear routine.didn't work. tried taking the harness from the rear sensor to the block off and cleaned it.didn't work. tried cleaning the tip of the sensor. didn't work. both sensors are bosch oe fit btw. sure would like to know what the problem is. i'm getting tired of erasing the cel every time it comes on
Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX

Have had my SVX for less than a week and it keeps throwing this code as well. Tried the cleaning repair but no luck. I guess a r/r is next unless someone can suggest something else to try first.

Thanks.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)