Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM

rear struts

hi guys, im in desperate need of rear struts so if anybody has so for sale please pm me.

joe
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: rear struts

$124.00 new from http://www.subarupartsforyou.com, shipped from CT.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

a pair or each ?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Registered SVX

I too am looking for some rear struts.
I went looking up part numbers and I keep seeing 2 different priced struts.
Can someone please explain why there are 2 different struts listed. There is a $100 difference in list price.

From 1stsubaruparts.com

Strut, From 10/92 Left
PT840593 STRUT CP R LH
List Price : $169.95
Your Price : $122.36

Strut, From 10/92 Right
PT840593 STRUT CP R RH
List Price : $169.95
Your Price : $122.36

----------------

Strut, To 9/92 Left
PT840593 STRUT CP
List Price : $254.47
Your Price : $183.22

Strut, To 9/92 Right
PT840593 STRUT CP
List Price : $254.47
Your Price : $183.22

I have a 92.
So whats with this "To 9/92", "from 10/92"?
Do early 92's take different struts!?

(92 LSL, that is $124 each + shipping from subarupartsforyou)

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 07-26-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX

I just ran through the price to completely replace the rear struts on one of my threads. here is the list from subaruparts.com to completly replace both rear struts:

The part listed as Strut complete is only the part numbered 1/2 in the pic above.
(I chose the "To 9/92 struts", the more expensive ones for this list, because I have no idea why they are different.)

So $1000 to completely replace both rear struts with all new parts. I have been advised that if going this route, I might as well just do the koni inserts...

Here is my thread if you are bored: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54979

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 07-26-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Good god, for the last time. DO NOT BUY REAR STRUTS from SUBARU. They are absolutely useless and will fail due to the seal leaking from sitting. Do a search and then don't waste your money. You're actually better off buying used ones.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Registered SVX

Well benebob that is the first time I heard anyone say that.
Please link me to the thread that you speak of, because when I search for "rear Struts" no one offered up that little tidbit of information.

If the replacement struts from Subaru are no good, how are we supposed to replace our struts?

I for one will not install a used strut, I mean how will I know they would be any better than 18 year old ones I m running now.

So basically what you saying is there is no direct replacement strut available for the SVX. I can either have an old used strut, or a modified Koni.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Please link me to the thread that you speak of, because when I search for "rear Struts" no one offered up that little tidbit of information.

If the replacement struts from Subaru are no good, how are we supposed to replace our struts?

I for one will not install a used strut, I mean how will I know they would be any better than 18 year old ones I m running now.

So basically what you saying is there is no direct replacement strut available for the SVX. I can either have an old used strut, or a modified Koni.
The problem with "new" struts from Subaru is that they have been sitting on warehouse shelves for at least a decade and the seals have gone to crap in that time, meaning when the pressures change in the strut, they will fail. Yes, you get a 1 year warranty, but that is from the original purchase... Someone here replaced their struts with "new" to have them fail about 3 months later, then again 5 months later and again about 6 months later just outside the 1 year warranty. The first 2 times they were swapped for "new" ones again but the last time it was out of the 1 year warranty period so he was basically SOL and ended up putting Koni's on in the end... So in summary, go with ground control and be done...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post

Do a search and you will "read" all about it. I replaced mine. Drove 500 miles, replaced both again, drove another 1000 miles and boom they were gone yet again. Only this time it was a month out of warranty. I'm definately not the only one. Some have ones that last longer but you are honestly better off finding some good used ones then putting new OEM struts on. It is like playing russian roulette with 1 bullet with a 6 shooter instead on a 3 shooter. Oh yeah, and labor isn't covered under warranty either. I did the work myself and replacing the rears are much more of a PITA then the fronts.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Do a search and you will "read" all about it. I replaced mine. Drove 500 miles, replaced both again, drove another 1000 miles and boom they were gone yet again. Only this time it was a month out of warranty. I'm definately not the only one. Some have ones that last longer but you are honestly better off finding some good used ones then putting new OEM struts on. It is like playing russian roulette with 1 bullet with a 6 shooter instead on a 3 shooter. Oh yeah, and labor isn't covered under warranty either. I did the work myself and replacing the rears are much more of a PITA then the fronts.
I think Tim was another one...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I should have heeded the advise. My new Subaru OEM replacement strut failed in 2 days. Replacement for replacement failed in 1 month.
I didn't get them from Subaruparts.com but I believe they will no longer sell you struts.

Gene

Last edited by bwb3; 10-11-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Sorry to hear that Gene, insert I told you so here.LOL. I just hate seeing someone get burned on 'em. Problem is your running out of time as Subaru will only honor the warranty for a year from the original sale date, however, at least in PA that a place has 3x to fix the car right before it becomes a lemon law. Maybe you should have your Subaru stealership put a set in, toast them 2 more times in a 30 day period and force Subaru to buy back the car. Might get them thinking about running a new batch and getting rid of their old stock.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Subarupartsforyou.com only has a 14 day return policy but it was really the pain of redoing the install 3 times that has me kicking myself. Did get the install down to 45 minutes that last time. My friend has a shop with lift.
On the positive side, I now have 2 new cores for the Koni conversion.
Gene