Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Re: Burned Headlight Socket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Technically speaking, not at all correct. The higher the wattage the less the internal resistance of the bulb. Refer Mr. Ohm.
Not true at all... wattage does not determine the internal resistance of the bulb, so put a hold on the bow for svxfiles!

Mr Ohm got it right! In a fixed voltage situation, the internal resistance of the bulb determines the wattage, not the opposite as you stated, Trevor.

Increasing the voltage, which is not a part of this equation because we have a fixed voltage sourse, would increase the wattage but not necessary proportionally to the voltage increase, because of the composition of the filament in the lamp.

A bad connection that causes heat on a contact, actually will add resistance to the then-series circuit, thereby reducing the power which is measured in watts.

Trevor, you should also know these facts.

Keith
Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
"Only the stupid would replace the bulb for no reason"??
Keith please, to assist you with your reading, I again record my statement, i.e. "Only the stupid would replace the bulb for no reason."

Quote:
Trevor, if the socket is damaged from the heat generated from lack of pressure, or any other reason, the heated metal contact on the bulb has also been compromised...
It is not a fact that the bulb will necessarily be “compromised”. I do not agree with you in your conclusion that members other than yourself are stupid. Any damage to the bulb metal base, contacts or whatever, being of any significance or consequence, will be perfectly obvious to anyone with normal intelligence.

Quote:
Simply replacing the socket and putting it back on a heat damaged bulb would result in a problem down the road.

You, of course, have to already know this.
I do not “have to”, it is an obvious fact that I do know, as do other members who have the intelligence to detect and not refit a faulty bulb.

Quote:
It is mind boggling how you continually keep pushing a point for the sake of a debate when you have to know that the opposite is correct. Keith
Damn it man, it is truly mind boggling that you now have the stupid audacity to even include an emblem confirming and emphasising your continuous nasty sarcasm.

My post is only mind boggling to the boggled.

I continue with this debate to ensure that no member becomes badly advised. Anyone confused and requiring confirmation as to the actual situation prevailing here, should use the facilities provided and peruse Keith’s never ending string of pointless, futile, texts, posted for no other reason than self promotion.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Sorry Trevor, I was mistaken...

You really don't know

Keith
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not true at all... wattage does not determine the internal resistance of the bulb, so put a hold on the bow for svxfiles!

Mr Ohm got it right! In a fixed voltage situation, the internal resistance of the bulb determines the wattage, not the opposite as you stated, Trevor.
As svxfiles has now acknowledged, he was clearly referring to the specified wattage as is applied by a manufacturer in relation to their product. The definitive text, ---”They are listed as 55 watt bulbs and the Silver Stars have 65 watts, as I remember.” makes this absolutely clear.

Quote:
Increasing the voltage, which is not a part of this equation because we have a fixed voltage sourse, would increase the wattage but not necessary proportionally to the voltage increase, because of the composition of the filament in the lamp.
Keith your argument is in no way applicable, is simply a side step and what is more contains further errors. Others are able to read and assimilate and you are sadly illustrating senility.

We, you, nor anyone else involved with an SVX "has a fixed voltage sourse" (N.B. source). Try 12 - 14+ volts. Or is it that you are on a sauce?

For the information of others who may be interested. At start up, a cold incandescent lamp exhibits an abnormally low resistance. Therefore there is a substantial inrush current at switch on, and this must be taken into account when considering the switching components involved. The bulb specification indicates the wattage (normal current consumption), when the lamp is operating and energised at whatever is the nominated voltage, 14 volts being usual in automotive applications. Operating normally, the bulb filament has maximum resistance and current is at a minimum value.

Keith claims that I copy and paste the information I post. He is wrong and I hereby claim copyrights. N.B.--- ©. Howsat!

Quote:
A bad connection that causes heat on a contact, actually will add resistance to the then-series circuit, thereby reducing the power which is measured in watts.
The power within the circuit was in no way refereed to or involved in the situation or reference raised by svxfiles. The subject clearly involves specified bulb wattage.

Quote:
Trevor, you should also know these facts. Keith
Again the never ending stupid sarcasm. Keith, please take care, you are pissing into the wind when trying to teach and electrical engineer his business.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-09-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

I did purchase an HID kit with lower wattage bulbs and ballasts. I have two questions still.

1. Where would I find the ground to check if the connection is good

2. I havent been able to find a headlight socket as of yet, does anyone know specifically where to find one?

Im really just hoping that the jacked up bulb is causing this, but that doesnt explain how it happened in the first place (unless I didnt notice it when i bought the car 2 years ago)

The rest of the posts are basically greek to me. I only lasted through one semester of electrical engineering

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
I did purchase an HID kit with lower wattage bulbs and ballasts. I have two questions still.

1. Where would I find the ground to check if the connection is good

2. I havent been able to find a headlight socket as of yet, does anyone know specifically where to find one?

Im really just hoping that the jacked up bulb is causing this, but that doesnt explain how it happened in the first place (unless I didnt notice it when i bought the car 2 years ago)

The rest of the posts are basically greek to me. I only lasted through one semester of electrical engineering
1. Forget the ground connection as this is not involved.

2. Over and out on this one. Someone please come to the rescue.

3. All through the problem appears to have been caused by a bad socket. However the higher wattage bulb will not have helped the situation. Replace the bad with new and you should be good to go. If you have to use a used socket, read what I have said about contact problems and check it carefully as advised. Obviously, check that the bulb you use is not damaged and making bad contact. No more than common sense is involved.

The cause in the first place, would most likely have been a faulty socket making bad contact. The contact sprig pressure is likely to have deteriorated and the problem got worse over a period of time.(The socket was probably no Bloody good way back and got itself properly stuffed as it got older.)

P.S. --- I have taken the extra time to again read your original post wherein you say,---- "When I changed the socket as they are silverstars and one of the prongs of the bulb was a lil messed up but I didnt think that would cause this to happen would it?"

Yes it most certainly could be a likely cause. The bulb may have been fitted by a butcher. Please read and understand what I have detailed regarding contact pressure.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-09-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: P.S. Added
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Thanks Trevor,

I suppose that I will have to do some shopping around for the socket. Ill have the new light kit here this week; and I will update my results after I change it all out.

I appreciate the Help

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Advance Auto Parts sells a two pack for about $12.00
Dorman part #84793
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Advance Auto Parts sells a two pack for about $12.00
Dorman part #84793
Now you did it svxfiles!

You've got Trevor going again. First he said only a fool would change a bulb that wasn't bad... at the very least, one that wasn't bad in his definition of bad.

Now you are suggesting that we buy a socket 2 pack?? That will most assuredly bring on additional wrath from Trevor.

Lots of time and words have been wasted on this post, mostly for someone to try to, without success, impress everyone with the perpetrator's vast knowledge. It has been fun, but not very fruitful... a 6 word solution. Count them... replace the socket and the bulb.

Keith
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I would ask when's the wedding but you guys are way past the honeymoon.....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
No, no, Way Past Tense!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,