How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Blackbir2001

Climate Control code 15

My aircon is not working. On a hot day, it only blows cool air and not cold air. I have run the diagnostics and come up with a code 15 which suggests the refrigerant temperature sensor is open circuited. But I am also concerned that I may be low on refrigerant. Would this be an alternative? If the problem is the refrigerant temperature sensor, can I replace it without draining the aircon system? Any idea of a part number? The car is a JDM in the UK.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Dave,

Here's what the service manual suggests about checking the sensor:

1) Remove glove box
2) Disconnect connector BM2. This is a 14 pin connector located at the bottom of the blower motor.
3) Turn ignition switch on
4) Measure the resistance between pins 11(Green/White) and 13(Brown/White) on the outer connector. There's a graph in the book showing resistances in K Ohms at various temperatures, but I guess you just need to check whether it is open circuit or not.
5) If the sensor resistance is OK, check the voltage between pins 11(Green/Black) and 13(Yellow/Blue) on the inner connector. Should be approx 5v DC.

In order to replace the sensor, it looks like you have to remove and dismantle the cooling unit, which does require draining the system. Maybe there's another way to do it, I can't tell from the book.

Your car being pre-94 will have R12 gas (freon) which is now banned. I had mine replaced with an "R12 drop in replacement" called RS24. It's cheaper than having the system converted to run on the newer R134 gas but I had to do a bit of ringing around to find an aircon dealer who stocked the stuff.

Good Luck,

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Blackbir2001

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your input. I have been debating with myself whether or not to keep the SVX given a few other problems I have. But, I have won that debate and have decided I will keep it. I am now going to start ringing around for someone who has RS24 and will have the whole system sorted in the hopes that the code 15 is actually caused by a lack of coolant. The last time I followed the checks as per your note, there didn't appear to be a problem with the temperature sensor. Who did yours? Do you have a phone number? How much did it cost?
On another note, I still have the original radio and CD fit on the floor in my study. That is the radio, the CD changer controller and the CD itself (from the boot). They all appear to work. Are they of any use to you? No charge (given the help you have provided me in the past) except for postage.
Dave
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Air con scans.

Phil and Dave, I think our Aust. Air is the same as the JDM unit. If so, I have some scans in my locker, of replacing the Refige temp sersor, etc. Have a look here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au|35851
Cheers,
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbir2001
Hi Phil,
Thanks for your input. I have been debating with myself whether or not to keep the SVX given a few other problems I have. But, I have won that debate and have decided I will keep it. I am now going to start ringing around for someone who has RS24 and will have the whole system sorted in the hopes that the code 15 is actually caused by a lack of coolant. The last time I followed the checks as per your note, there didn't appear to be a problem with the temperature sensor. Who did yours? Do you have a phone number? How much did it cost?
H.M. Air Cooling
10 Wycombe Industrial Mall, West End St., High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 2QY
01494 459858
Cost £100 to drain and refill. They will probably remember me because my car dumped all its power steering fluid on their forecourt and had to be taken away on a trailer.
Quote:
On another note, I still have the original radio and CD fit on the floor in my study. That is the radio, the CD changer controller and the CD itself (from the boot). They all appear to work. Are they of any use to you? No charge (given the help you have provided me in the past) except for postage.
Dave
Wow! Really? I'll definitely take you up on that.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 05-28-2006, 02:54 AM
Blackbir2001

Harvey, thanks for the information. I have taken a look at the pages, but it doesn't actually show how to replace the refrigerant temperature sensor, just how to check out the various voltages etc. Do you have the relevant pages from the workshop manual? I am particularly keen to know if the sensor can be replaced without having to 'drain' the air con system.
Dave
Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Blackbir2001

Phil, Where exactly in Bucks are you? Can you let me have your address and a phone number then I can contact you to see if there's a better way of getting the audio stuff to you. Are you ever down in Winchester?
Dave
Dave.Thomas@onetel.net
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Phil, Where exactly in Bucks are you? Can you let me have your address and a phone number then I can contact you to see if there's a better way of getting the audio stuff to you. Are you ever down in Winchester?
Dave
Dave.Thomas@onetel.net
Dave,
I've sent you an email.
Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 06-17-2006, 03:36 AM
Blackbir2001

Drat

Phil,
I've recently upgraded my computer and I have lost a few emails, including yours! I occasionally (once every two weeks) have to travel up to work near Heathrow. So, I could drop the units off. Beer's fine!
Dave
Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Climate Control code 15

Did you guys find a way to replace the sensor without having to drain the refrigerant?