How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Error Code 12

My 92 has an error code 12 , 1 long and 2 short flashes, the car will start, but this does identify a starting circuit issue, it will not reset, any ideas
The car was modded to a 5 speed and so this could be a cause!
Tks
C
Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Error Code 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbritsvx View Post
My 92 has an error code 12 , 1 long and 2 short flashes, the car will start, but this does identify a starting circuit issue, it will not reset, any ideas
The car was modded to a 5 speed and so this could be a cause!
Tks
C
Clive

On the face of it this could be simple, though worst case scenario would be a requirement for a new ECU!

However, in troubleshooting it is always better not to assume the worst, and to first check out the simplest and cheapest possible causes.

The WSM diagnoses a Code 12 as "Abnormal signal from the starter circuit"

As your car is actually starting, this more or less rules out a problem with the starter, the starter wiring or with the inhibitor switch on the gearbox. That's good news so far.

Now, the next suspect area is the wiring connecting your starter switch to the ECU, or possibly a problem with the ECU itself. Once again, we check out the simple things first.

There is only one wire connecting to position 10 of B61 which plugs into the ECU .[B61 is a 16 terminal plug, eight over eight, yeah?] To check that this is sending the correct voltage to the ECU, you turn the ignition to on, and you measure the voltage between terminal 10 and the body while cranking the starter. It is supposed to read in the 9-12Volts range.
[A very fine pinned voltmeter can read signals from the back of B61 while still plugged into the ECU. Use a decent meter if you can, OK?]

If it's outside this range you need to repair or replace the harness between the starter and the ECU.

If it is within range, and if there is not a problem with B61 terminals connecting properly to the ECU, then the nuclear option is a new ECU. It's much more likely you have a bad connection somewhere or a frayed wire or something.

Do you have access to the WSM? Would you like a scan of the Code 12 pages?

Best of luck with it.

Joe.

PS: Forgive my bad manners. You are very welcome on the Network.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the great info i will look tonight, no i do not have acceess to WSM , if avaialble please scan. Here is hoping a bad wire :-)
C.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbritsvx View Post
Thanks for the great info i will look tonight, no i do not have acceess to WSM , if avaialble please scan. Here is hoping a bad wire :-)
C.
It probably is that Clive, and I hope it is, though they can often be a bugger to track down.

Here are the scans for you:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1671&size=big&cat=

and

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1672&size=big&cat=

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanks Joe for the scans, but i should have asked this yesterday before i went home, "where is the B61 16 pin conector located" is it by the fuse box inside the car? There seems to be to metal cans, ideal location for the ecu! Both have 16 pin conectors 1 has yellow and the other black, or am i barking up the wrong tree :-)
Cheers
Also there may be more to this , i also have a 51 and a 52 maybe both related to the 5 speed swap (completed (badly)before i owned it) I guess i did not get the deal i thought i did
C
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Ah, that's a different story Clive. I know you mentioned the 5 speed swap, but you did not mention the other two codes.

Pin 10 is carrying 9-12 Volt signal to the ECU, and it expects to get a reading from the inhibitor switch. This switch is now gone from yours, so it is not now getting a signal on that pin.

The other two codes are similar, Code 51 the ECU expects to get a Neutral signal from the Inhibitor Switch, Code 52 it expects a Park signal from the Inhibitor switch. There is sure to be a get-around for this. Maybe feed the ECU some dummy voltages or something.

I've not done a 5-speed swap yet, so have no familiarity with it. Send a PM to Tomsvx or to Huck, there are quite a few who have converted and they will have fixed or be aware of this problem. These lads know the score.

Your doggy instincts are superb. You are not barking up the wrong tree. Box with yellow connectors is the ECU, black connectors is the TCU. They are nested together.

The ECU has a number of connectors, three if memory serves, no four I think. "There can be only one" rule applies, so B61 will be the only one with 16 pins. Pins 1 through 8 on top row under the retainer/clicker reading left to right as you look into the connector.

The bottom row follows same convention, pins 9 through 16 left to right.

Ask the guys above before you do any more. They know a heck of a lot more than I do.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 05-15-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks again for the help, i will contact the others once i have read the "simple 5 speed swap" notes, i may get a clue there.
Cheers
C