How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Re: Tires: Cooper Avalanche X-treme or Other?

Thanks for the feedback Crazy_Pilot Any recommendations for a good (not too expensive) winter specific tire that isn't a blizzak?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Tough call, you kind of get what you pay for. If you can find them, either Cooper's WeatherMaster ST/2, or Firestone Winterforce. I have a set of each on the family's other cars and haven't been dissappointed. I'm going to be driving my first set of Michelin X-Ice in a couple weeks, so we'll see if paying the most really gets you the best.

Note: If you've heard the big Ford Explorer/Firestone tires horror story mess and are scared of Firestone because of it, don't be. The whole deal was Ford's fault. For some reason they set the recommended tire pressure for the Explorer to 26 PSI. Give it a few months, people don't check their tires, go down to 20 PSI, get on the highway, tires flex excessively, overheat, and presto, catastophic tire failure.

For what it's worth I buy almost all my tires online, usually from tirerack.com.

Possible size options:

205/55/16

215/55/16

225/50/16

Cheapest option is General Altimax in the 215/55/16 size, $75 each on closeout.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Hmm, looks like the General Altimax Arctics got good reviews, surprising for such an inexpensive tire. Do you recommend General Tires?

as a side note:

...anyone want some 225/50/16 Kumho Ecstas with very low miles??? They were great in the summer, just horrible for any snow or ice. I have another set of Summer tires so I won't need them after getting my winters on.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Looks like the General Altimax Arctics are the exact same tire as the Gislaved NordFrost 3 tires...same mold, even made in the same factory out of the same compound
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I haven't tried General snow tires, but I have their high end summer tires on my STi wheels. Noisy and mushy sidewalls, but otherwise good grip, great in the rain.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Re: Tires: Firestone winterforce

Since owning an SVX (Jan 2005) I went through two sets of Yokohama and one set of Kumhos. Yokohama get noisy with time and blew out on me twice and the Kumhos wore out quickly. I'm trying Hankook tires next year. During the winter, I drive on Firestone winterforce snow tires. This is my third year with them and they are very, very good!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Well, since no one really seems to have these Avalanches :P I don't think I'll go with them. I may try the Generals if I don't get the used WS-50 Blizzaks...thanks for all your help!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Kis, If you go to www.tirerack.com you will find a wide selection of winter tires to "look" st. Many have reviews from owners and TireRack does tests of tires as well. I recently put Mitchlim ICE winter tires on my wifes FWD Ford Focus and to me they feel better than the all season Bridgestones I took off for the winter. Once you look at what they carry and the tests and reviews you can either buy from them or go to your local guy. At least you will have an idea what the tire should cost. I add about $25.00 for mounting and balancing to the price from TireRack. My local guy,Belle Tire, beat TireRacks price by $5.00 a tire and that included mounting and balancing. Some times the good guys win. Remember, spring will come! Take care, BOBB
P/S Some SVX owners put winter tires on steel wheels, and you can buy tires already mounted and balanced from TireRack. "B"
Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for your help everyone I found some Blizzak MZ01s with 90% tread cheap and picked them up last night. I'l update with how they turn out next week...they should be comparable to the WS-50 Blizzaks.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
i had a honda with Kumhos, and drove on ice once with them. Worst handling tire on ICE i ever driven. thats 20 years of snow and ice driving. It was horrible. Kumhos SUCK. and the tread was near new. just really horrid.
I have Kumho 795 A/S tires on my 2.5RS and they work excellent. Never been stuck, never spun, and I can pass big 4WD trucks on the freeway in snowstorms. I drive them hard, and they still have really good tread after 3 years. But you cant find those anymore. Now they have the Solus, but they are probably good too.