How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Electrical problems??

So I have an Optima Battery on my 92 and this weekend I tried to start my car and the battery was completely dead... Its not the first time I kill my optima but usually because I left a light on or something...

So I took it to autozone and they fully charged it... dropped it back on the SVX and it barely turned on the lights... no crank of course... I tought it was an electrical problem in the car (since its an optima) so I dropped the vette's battery on the SVX and it worked fine... but wait.

I was driving at night and all the lights on the dashboard and headlights were like blinking.. like the alternator wasnt charging the battery enough and the battery was starting to die, even the stereo was shutting down every 10 seconds... So I pulled over and turned the car off, but then I started it back and it started great, the battery was fine... So I drove back home with the blinking lights, I made it but it was like the car was almost dying on me when I was parking it... Took the battery off, placed it back on the Vette and the vette started just fine....

So Im thinking, I might have an electrical problem that actually damaged my Optima Battery??? I mean those Optimas are really a Die Hard battery and it looks like its gone.... Im sad cuz Im not really good at wiring and electrical issues...

Any clues???

thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
SVXless

Re: Electrical problems??

Battery isn't the problem. The battery isn't what powers the car while you're driving, the alternator does. It sounds like a bad alternator to me. The car's not starting and it's dying/lights are going crazy while driving. You might want to go back to Auto Zone and have them test the alternator because it sounds as if it's on its last leg.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe62890 View Post
Battery isn't the problem. The battery isn't what powers the car while you're driving, the alternator does. It sounds like a bad alternator to me. The car's not starting and it's dying/lights are going crazy while driving. You might want to go back to Auto Zone and have them test the alternator because it sounds as if it's on its last leg.

Well that's a good answer!! I had the alternator rebuilt not even a year ago, but Im deffinetly going to check it.

What I can't explain is why the Optima Battery died?? Its probably two years old....

Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z View Post
Well that's a good answer!! I had the alternator rebuilt not even a year ago, but Im deffinetly going to check it.

What I can't explain is why the Optima Battery died?? Its probably two years old....

Thanks
I purchased a Red Top and after 2 years it went bad. I was chasing everything but that. Came home from vacation and the SVX was dead. Charged the battery and 2 or 3 weeks later dead again. This went on for a month or 2 where i would need to charge the battery ever so often. Finally took the car to the Stealer because i don't know beans about electrical parts and they diagnosed that the battery was bad. I figured the Optima was suppose to be the greatest thing since, whatever, the good thing was that the battery has a full exchange warranty the first 3 years. A new Optima was installed about 8 months ago and no problems since. Trust me i was chasing everything except the battery even unhooked the lights for the sun visors. My .02 is for as much as they cost i shouldn't have had any issues from that battery. The next time i'll go with what ever the "Battery Store" has at the top of their list.............
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM
SVXless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z View Post

Thanks
If the alternator was rebuilt substandard than the life of it could already be up. I'm not sure what the price is on a new/rebuilt alternator but I would look into getting a new one or a rebuilt one that has a warranty. Also make sure to get your alternator you have now tested just to make sure it's the culprit. Batteries, from what I've heard, can only be run dead and recharged so many times before they will no longer hold a charge. A lingering alternator problem can place strain on the battery and if it's not properly charged while the car is running it can diminish the life of the battery. I'd get the alternator tested and also the new battery tested.

Last edited by joe62890; 06-17-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Chances are you are going to be replacing the alternator. You might be wise to just get one with the lifetime guarantee. Getting an existing one "rebuilt" could mean no more than getting one existing problem resolved and a little paint on it.

Taking it and getting it "tested" is not always a sure fire thing because these alternators can be erratic... could even show charging during the testing and after back on the car...sometimes not.

What are the chances that the alternator is bad? 99% to 1% that it isn't.

Good luck with the project.

Keith
Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Chances are you are going to be replacing the alternator. You might be wise to just get one with the lifetime guarantee. Getting an existing one "rebuilt" could mean no more than getting one existing problem resolved and a little paint on it.

Taking it and getting it "tested" is not always a sure fire thing because these alternators can be erratic... could even show charging during the testing and after back on the car...sometimes not.

What are the chances that the alternator is bad? 99% to 1% that it isn't.

Good luck with the project.

Keith
Yeah, it sounds like Im going to need a new alternator... I wonder if I can upgrade it and get a bigger capacity alternator... I run a couple amplifiers for my sound system and I'll install a carputer any time soon... I even tought of using two batteries at some point....

Are there any alternator upgrades available for the SVX?? Or a brand new one would be good enough???

I wonder if those misfiring problems I had were caused by the alternator too....
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Wink Re: Electrical problems??

I just had a similiar issue with my ride...the alternator is an EASY repair...the best thing to do is shop online, find the best price with the best warranty, and most Checker's will price match...I just got mine for $92...it took maybe 5minutes to remove the old alt and about 7 minutes to replace...legitimate 2 bolts on top of the cover and 2 bolts holding the alt to the car....much better than the $600 quote I got from the local dealer...and my new alt has a LIFETIME warranty and 2 years Roadside.

The other thing that I noticed...and this is weird, but my AC is now blowing ICE COLD...I did recharge it 2 weeks ago but it never really got cold...strange but true that a new alternator fixed some of the quirks of my old ride.

Good Luck!

-Grizz
94 LS Black
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrizz View Post
I just had a similiar issue with my ride...the alternator is an EASY repair...the best thing to do is shop online, find the best price with the best warranty, and most Checker's will price match...I just got mine for $92...it took maybe 5minutes to remove the old alt and about 7 minutes to replace...legitimate 2 bolts on top of the cover and 2 bolts holding the alt to the car....much better than the $600 quote I got from the local dealer...and my new alt has a LIFETIME warranty and 2 years Roadside.

The other thing that I noticed...and this is weird, but my AC is now blowing ICE COLD...I did recharge it 2 weeks ago but it never really got cold...strange but true that a new alternator fixed some of the quirks of my old ride.

Good Luck!

-Grizz
94 LS Black

I agree, the A/C wasnt blowing as cold as it used too since this thing started.. my guess is the electromagnet from the compressor doesnt get that much power to keep the A/C clutch completely stuck with the rotor...

$92 for a brand new alternator?? You serious?? So you just printed a quote online and took it to Checkers??? Last time I had the alternator fixed it was close to $250 for a new one and the subaru stealership bringed me a power steering pump instead of the alternator... then they got me a wrong bolt for the alternator adjustment (wich I broke while taking the alternator out, lol)

Im going to take your word on that, Ill buy it this weekend.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Smile Re: Electrical problems??

I called first and told them that I found one online with a similiar warranty to thiers and they told me that they could beat the price...it is normally like $151 and then an additional $45 or so for the core...they told me to bring in the websheet that I had found to match the price...when I went in they did not even ask for it...so I was charged:

06/16/2008 CHECKER #442300044230 G 06/12CHECKER $140.82

for the alt and then refunded:

06/16/2008 CHECKER #442300044230 G 06/12CHECKER $47.86

for the core...

I pulled the above from my bank statement as I figured someone would call BS. I would scan the receipt but I can't find it!!! I found the core return though.

here is the link...and it is an exact fit!

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...ype=11&PTSet=A