How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 PM

engine unresponsive initially

hi
the engine hesitates or it is unresponsive when is cold. it starts strong but when i press the accelerator pedal it stays unresponsive but then, seconds later it accelarates normally. few minutes later the engine is fine. the engine light is on indicating left knocking sensor... could this be the problem
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyvaly View Post
hi
the engine hesitates or it is unresponsive when is cold. it starts strong but when i press the accelerator pedal it stays unresponsive but then, seconds later it accelarates normally. few minutes later the engine is fine. the engine light is on indicating left knocking sensor... could this be the problem
It could well be. You are reporting an intermittent fault which is always difficult to be sure about.

The knock sensors a capable of retarding the ignition timing as is their normal function. This could be happening excessively at start up, to then come right. As a first option check the connections to the left knock sensor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It could well be. You are reporting an intermittent fault which is always difficult to be sure about.

The knock sensors a capable of retarding the ignition timing as is their normal function. This could be happening excessively at start up, to then come right. As a first option check the connections to the left knock sensor.
Trevor is right. If the sensor is bad or even better, disconnected, the ECU runs on a "limp" Map in which timing is significantly reduced due to the inability to monitor knock. It will also put a hurting on your fuel economy

Tom