Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 AM

help with power steering

hey guys i'm new to the board and new to the whole svx thing.
just got my first svx 94 canary yellow. i'm loving this beast. so much fun to drive.

anyways. i have been doing alotta work on this car since i've got it. including modifying a legacy rad to fit cuz i couldn't source an svx rad.

but one thing that mystifies me is my power steering. when i first got it the steering was very stiff. (probably cuz it was sitting for a while and needed to work things out like many things on this car) then i took out most of the fluid and replaced it with lucas powersteering fluid. which helped quite a bit. but now when i first start the car and it's cold the steering would be on/off as i turn the wheel. and this would go away once the car is at normal operating temps.

also another problem i notice is at low speeds the steering wheel shakes left/right just a few cm.

thanx

[M]i[K]E[¥]
Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanerush View Post
just got my first svx 94 canary yellow. i'm loving this beast. so much fun to drive.

anyways. i have been doing alotta work on this car since i've got it. including modifying a legacy rad to fit cuz i couldn't source an svx rad.

but one thing that mystifies me is my power steering. when i first got it the steering was very stiff. (probably cuz it was sitting for a while and needed to work things out like many things on this car) then i took out most of the fluid and replaced it with lucas powersteering fluid. which helped quite a bit. but now when i first start the car and it's cold the steering would be on/off as i turn the wheel. and this would go away once the car is at normal operating temps.

also another problem i notice is at low speeds the steering wheel shakes left/right just a few cm.

thanx

[M]i[K]E[¥]
Mikey

You need to check some things to see what your problem may be.

First, in the US and probably Canada there were two types of power steering; one type is called rev sensitive, it is on cheaper models. With this type at parking speeds the steering will lighten for more revs.
The other type is more expensive, on the dearer models. It is called speed sensitive. With this type it should have full power [light steering] at parking and low speeds and as speeds rise the steering should stiffen up.

You need to know which type you have, they behave differently at parking speeds.

In the case of both types you are not meant to use power steering fluid. You are supposed to use ATF, Dexron II, this is written on the reservoir cap and that's what should be in there. Change the fluid.

Next, search the How-To folders till you find the O ring fix. This is cheap and easy, and stops your power steering pump cavitating from air bubbles. Part of what you describe could be this.

Steering shake at low speeds could be wheel balance or bent wheels. Fix the two things above first, then see if the shake is still there. If it is, then try getting your wheels balanced to see if one is bent.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

[M]i[K]E[¥]
Was it yellow from the factory Mikey? These are extremely rare.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 AM

i read up on the 2 types of steering when i got the car. but how do i check which one do i have? just realized what u said about the wheel bent. one of my wheel is bent badly. so that could be the problem. some reason i was trying to think of something a lot more complicated. like on my geo tracker it was doing the same thing in 4wd mode and it ended up being the cv axle.

the car didn't come in yellow from what i could tell i think it was originally green. the yellow's kinda fading i'm gonna do a complete paintjob in the spring.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
i read up on the 2 types of steering when i got the car. but how do i check which one do i have? just realized what u said about the wheel bent. one of my wheel is bent badly. so that could be the problem. some reason i was trying to think of something a lot more complicated. like on my geo tracker it was doing the same thing in 4wd mode and it ended up being the cv axle.

the car didn't come in yellow from what i could tell i think it was originally green. the yellow's kinda fading i'm gonna do a complete paintjob in the spring.
In a way you don't need to know which type it is, if the O ring fix stops the pump from cavitating, it won't matter which type. I was just wondering how from your description the steering was stiff.

You will need to know from the documentation which model you have to find out. They are not the same here in Ireland/England. So far as I know, if your car is top of the range [usually leather] as in LSi or LS-L model, you will likely have the better steering. If your car is bottom of the range, you possibly have the cheaper type. Check the detail here, it probably applies to Canadian models also.

You should also fix the bent wheel. Try salvage yards or check the Parts For Sale here on the Network for a better wheel. Keeping the bent one on could kill your wheel bearing, more expense.

I like the yellow ones, they are more light hearted.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

thanx

[M]i[K]E[¥]

The shaking sounds and other problems sound like the O-Ring needs to be replaced. The hard to turn wheel, and wheel shaking just to mention a couple will usually be taken care of when that is replaced. You can find out how to do it in the How-To Documents. The power steering uses transmission fluid and not power steering fluid. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872