Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Hitchhikin'

What are the key signs of impending tranny failure?

I ask because I have some strange symptoms, and I couldn't really match them up with anything I found by searching the forums. I just recently noticed a hesitation when I accelerate from a stop. It lasts about half a second to a second, and the main reason I noticed it is because I was getting screeching tires every time I hit the gas from a stop (I was getting to 2000 to 2500 rpm before the tranny got in gear). If I don't accelerate as hard as usual, I can still feel the surge while the engine is revving to about 1000 to 1500 before the car gets in gear. Also, I may be paranoid, but I think that the reverse gear has similar problems; the car used to move without me hitting the pedal, and now I have to gas it before going anywhere. In D, the car previously crept up a little, as all autos do, and it no longer does that. I had the line pressure resistor unplugged when I first felt it, but the car does this whether or not the resistor is plugged in. Now, I feel like a rookie stick driver, with a surge and a screech when the car first gets going, and no auto-box creeping when I'm not hitting the brakes at a stop.

Just wondering, does anybody have any guesses on what this could be? Could this be a sign that the tranny is going out? Or is it something else? If so, how much damage could it do if left untreated? I can deal with this if the tranny won't significantly suffer for this, but I doubt I could handle a the price of a new tranny right now.

Last edited by Red SVX 92; 07-17-2002 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It sounds as though you're not building enough pressure until the engine revs up. It could be a clogged screen or low on fluid.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Check the fluid level right away to make sure it's not just low. If it isn't, I would recommend having the screen cleaned out and possibly have the tranny flushed.

Last Tuesday, my car stopped getting in gear at all. I thought my tranny was done for, but I had the screen cleaned out and the external filter replaced. Plus the shop did a forward ATF flush. Now it's fine again.

I would recommend against any 'backflushing' - flushing against the fluid path.

You can read the first few posts in the 'Horrible noise' thread in this forum for the full set of my symptoms.

Get it taken care of right away. The slipping you're experiencing, as I understand it, is destructive.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Hitchhikin'

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll get it checked out ASAP. Just wondering, what screen specifically is this? I'm having a 120K service done for now; would anyone know if cleaning that screen is included or is extra major work, etc.?

BTW, I've been following your tranny debacle, Pockets,but just remained a silent bystander. Congrats on an easy fix, and hope the tranny's good for another 131K miles.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:29 PM
gcookaustin

If you are able to get a new screen fast, I would recommend that. Or order one to put on later. I don't think that cleaning the screen really gets all the gunk out.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 AM
SVXCAPE

I could be wrong but it sounds like it might be your brake band, it controls the rpms between shifting, if it is too loose it will cause the engine rpms to rise between shifts, and also cause a lag going into gear, I would try everything else, flushing, new filters, before i would try to mess with the brake band. hope that helped some......... http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/index.html go to this site and look under transmission faqs under increased rpms between shifts is trans failing, I dont think it is as easy to adjust as he makes it sound but could be....... Also go to the top of this page to svx links go to technical service bullitens then go to brake band adjustment,,, definately would not attempt if you are just a weekend mech........ hope I did not confuse you to much ................ have a nice one!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:56 AM
Hitchhikin'

Hmm... brake band... Beav, would you happen to know what the labor time charge would be for that? Also, what are the chances of that being the problem?

As for the external tranny filter, was that the result of a TSB, or does the car have it stock? Or is it a part of aftermarket tranny cooler kits? And what is that screen everyone keeps talking about?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:16 AM
Registered Abuser

If you have the tranny filter, it would be attached to your driver's side front tow hook. I think it was part of a kind of "campaign" for the 92's and 93's. Some of the cars were covered free, and others weren't for some reason. You can call your local dealer and give them your VIN and they will tell if it's free or not. If not, you can buy the filter kit for about $12 and install it yourself in no time. I bypassed my radiator cooler completely when I installed my filter and cooler. The screen is inside the tube that goes through the radiator. That screen has cost many SVX owners their trannys. Good luck to you.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims