Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX
A friend of mine told me about a video of taking dents out. Get a hairdryer or heat gun and heat up the dent, then use a can of compressed air and blow it on it and it will pop right out. I haven't tried it yet but if she told me then it's gotta work
Remember to hold the compressed air can upside down. It's actually CO2, and by holding upside down it will spray liquid CO2, which is at around -109 degrees F is my memory serves right.

Here's a Youtube video of that trick in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=miNykNl-0NM

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Remember to hold the compressed air can upside down. It's actually CO2, and by holding upside down it will spray liquid CO2, which is at around -109 degrees F is my memory serves right.

Here's a Youtube video of that trick in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=miNykNl-0NM

Yep, that's it. I forgot to add hold it upside down before
Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Now...Im not sure if this is the same thing or not, but every sunroof roof Ive seen has had some sort of distortion right where the rear corner of the sunroof is, on the narrow strip of roof itself. Its best described as a slight change in curvature.
now, it seems this curvature change is directly over where the additional bracing for the sunroof is. my guess is the distortion is caused by the straight brace being attached to the compound-curved roof, or it could possibly be as simple as heat distortion from being in the sun

But, I have my roof covered in barbed wire, just in case I'm wrong
I have those exact same corner "distortions" on all three SVXs. I can only assume that they are from driving with the sunroof open at highway speeds or other body stresses.

However, I do not have any of the dimples that are being discussed in this thread.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I have those exact same corner "distortions" on all three SVXs. I can only assume that they are from driving with the sunroof open at highway speeds or other body stresses.

However, I do not have any of the dimples that are being discussed in this thread.

Doug
Lucky Bugger!!

The reason I brought it up Doug, I've only noticed it on my two English cars. I had no dimples on my JDM Claret.
[1 Japanese driver, 1 diminutive Irish driver]

Maybe Rojo is right. I'm 5'6" as well, I only have to flop in and fall out of the car.

I strongly suspect my theory of the dimples on the door edge is correct. They are put there by big, heavy people with strong hands.

The SVX is so low to the ground that it is not easy to get your legs under you to lever out of the car.

Maybe we could post up a poll? See how many people have dimples on the roof? Or have them check now and find they are actually there on the roof, but they had not noticed them before?

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
I think you would have to be half ape to be able to reach up and hold or press the roof while exiting/entering. I'm 5'4, so obviously have no issues with getting in/out of the car.
And I have tried the trick with the hair dryer and CO2. It works ok, but may take several attempts to remove the dent completely. And it doesnt work on all of them. It may depend on how long they have been there, some metal has a memory and takes a little more persuasive remedies (BFH).