SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 02:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
OT Legacy

My wife's '90 Legacy has some issues. It hesitates from a stop once in awhile and sometimes it hesitates while moving at freeway speeds. Like it'll just not accellerate when you tell it to.

Now my wife tells me that the cruise control doesn't really work very well.

I suspect a faulty throttle position sensor. If I get concurring opinions here, I'll get one and replace it. Is this something I can just remove and replace, or is delicate calibration required?

Other details:

I have replaced the fuel filter, the plugs are fine, the air filter is fine, there are no vacuum leaks any more and I have thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.

Anyway, I have heard plenty of suggestions that a bad TPS will also cause transmission problems. Her 2-3 upshift is scary (has been for the year we've owned the car), so hopefully (if it hasn't permanently damaged the clutches) a replacement TPS will help.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-01-2002 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:44 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: OT Legacy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
My wife's '90 Legacy has some issues. It hesitates from a stop once in awhile and sometimes it hesitates while moving at freeway speeds. Like it'll just not accellerate when you tell it to.
That describes the problem with my X to a tee. I had a chat with my local trusty mechanic who's been fixing my cars for the past 9 or 10 years, and he's baffled by my problem as well.

His suggestion? TPS or MAF Sensor. Though both usually will cough up a code, there are times when it won't.

So, anyone with a spare MAF Sensor for the SVX they want to part with?

VK
Old 07-02-2002, 04:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

How about a slavage yard? Is the 90 Legacy the same as the 91?
Old 07-02-2002, 08:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
How about a slavage yard? Is the 90 Legacy the same as the 91?
Dunno - the TPS is an inexpensive enough part to replace that I'll most likely just buy a new one.

I didn't think of the MAF. Crap, I hop it's not that - those suckers are expensive, right?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM
The Road Less Traveled

MAF? Well, the SVX one is $2xx, dunno about the Legacy. From a wrecker, it probably will be <$100.

Does anyone know whether the SVX MAF is interchangeable with any other Subaru's?

There's a guy on eBay selling ones for an SVX. I e-mailed him, and he says he's got 6, and can sell me one at $50USD, but the problem is that he won't ship anything except UPS, and the brokerage charges (not duties, just brokerage) will be almost that much if I got him to ship it to Canada. In comparision, Canada Post collects a measly $5CDN.

Anyone willing to receive a shipment for me and I'll pick it up at the meet? I'll prepay the seller, all you have to do is receive it.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Dunno - the TPS is an inexpensive enough part to replace that I'll most likely just buy a new one.

I didn't think of the MAF. Crap, I hop it's not that - those suckers are expensive, right?
Old 07-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Be happy to!

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
MAF? Well, the SVX one is $2xx, dunno about the Legacy. From a wrecker, it probably will be <$100.

Does anyone know whether the SVX MAF is interchangeable with any other Subaru's?

There's a guy on eBay selling ones for an SVX. I e-mailed him, and he says he's got 6, and can sell me one at $50USD, but the problem is that he won't ship anything except UPS, and the brokerage charges (not duties, just brokerage) will be almost that much if I got him to ship it to Canada. In comparision, Canada Post collects a measly $5CDN.

Anyone willing to receive a shipment for me and I'll pick it up at the meet? I'll prepay the seller, all you have to do is receive it.

VK

If you'd lie to have it shipped to me I'd be happy to bring it along for you. If you're comfortable with this let me know and I'll PM you my details.

Todd
Old 07-02-2002, 12:33 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Be happy to!

Yeah, that'll work. Great! Thx!

I'm going to check with the seller first to see if this arrangement's OK. If it is, I'll PM you.

Thx.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

If you'd lie to have it shipped to me I'd be happy to bring it along for you. If you're comfortable with this let me know and I'll PM you my details.

Todd