Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Overcharging alternator

My 92 teal is having some weird issues. I get the christmas tree lights like the alternator was going bad, so I checked my voltage at the battery and at the alternator. I am showing 17.9v in both places... Here is where it gets interesting. When I hit the brakes, the lights go off like nothing ever happened but once I hit the gas again and get the rpms up, the lgihts on the dahs come right back up. Well, it doesn't look like I am losing charge, but it is over charging the system.. I figured the voltage regulator is shot and I ordered a new alt from a local pep boys... Anyone else have some insight??

Tom
Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
All those cars, engines and parts sitting around and no extra Alts??????
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
My 92 teal is having some weird issues. I get the christmas tree lights like the alternator was going bad, so I checked my voltage at the battery and at the alternator. I am showing 17.9v in both places... Here is where it gets interesting. When I hit the brakes, the lights go off like nothing ever happened but once I hit the gas again and get the rpms up, the lgihts on the dahs come right back up. Well, it doesn't look like I am losing charge, but it is over charging the system.. I figured the voltage regulator is shot and I ordered a new alt from a local pep boys... Anyone else have some insight??

Tom
Greetings Tom,

The dash indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights.

It could be that your voltmeter is reading spikes on the line, a scope would give you the answer.

A voltage regulator fault could also be the problem. One way or the other you are probably up for an alternator rebuild.

N.B. But on second thoughts you should check the second wire that goes to the alternator for an open circuit. This provides a direct sensing circuit from the battery to the voltage regulator, so that any voltage drop does not cause an error. (Those pushing the "upgrade?" should take note.)

Disconnected from the alternator, you should read battery voltage, 12 volts min. at the alt. end. You will appreciate that if this circuit is open, the charge voltage could go high.

Best of luck with it, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I had this issue as a result of a loose battery cable but it sounds, as Trevor said, like the wire(s) going to the alternator.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Keep in mind: When you check the wire going into the Alternator from the ignition, one side of the connector will have a voltage reading but the other side will not (until you turn the ignition key, then you will also have a voltage reading).

Last edited by dannmarr; 01-04-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
All those cars, engines and parts sitting around and no extra Alts??????
don't give him ideas, my car's there right now!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Brian, it never crossed my mind... I have my silver to drive when the teally is down and out... I picked up a new alt today, and it has fixed the problem... I guess it was the regulator because I checked all of the connections and they were fine... Thanks guys, this is another case closed

Tom