Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Macintosh junkies needed!

I'm thinking that it is time to get myself a nice little powerbook, something that can run photoshop fairly quickly, but still cost me well under $1000, so I'm looking used but not sure just what to look for since I havn't spent my life burried in macs in a few years
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I heard Apple is in the process of dropping Motorola, and is revamping with Intel CPU's. Supposedly, these systems are to hit the retailers by 3rd quarter of this year??

It might be advantageous to wait a few months, and get an even better deal on a used system.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-18-2006, 10:24 PM
<<<Alcyone

Adobe has announced they won't be updating their programs for the new Intel CPU's until sometime in 2007. Until then, Photoshop will run faster on the 'old' Motorola based Macs.

Good luck, scour the web for non-biased reviews before you buy!

Dan
Old 02-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I'm thinking that it is time to get myself a nice little powerbook, something that can run photoshop fairly quickly, but still cost me well under $1000, so I'm looking used but not sure just what to look for since I havn't spent my life burried in macs in a few years
email chicaboon. i'm sure he could help ya out.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:45 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
You can also look at the iBook G4. It has the same processor as a G$ power book, just a tad slower. My GFs dad is a computer teacher and he has both an iBook and Powerbook. The only reason he went with the powerbook was for the dual layer DVD Burner. But if you look into an iBook a 15" should run you around 1400 or even less if you or someone you know is in College or the Military and they'll let you use your discount (I paid around 1200 for my iBook and Airport Wireless router).

I've had my iBook G4 for about a year now, and it's been the best computer I've ever used.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
$1000 will only get you the economy line of Apple laptops... the iBook. These are not particularly speedy machines, and the screen resolution is not very high. They will run Photoshop tolerably fast, but not very fast.

To complicate things, Apple is about half way through its transition to Intel cpu-based macs. The high end Powerbooks (now called MacBook Pro) now have Intel CPUs. The lower price Apple laptops have not yet made the Intel transition, but its expected that they will make the transition in the next couple months. The high end powerbooks are out of your price range. With the transition to Intel cpus, Apple has embedded an on-the-fly compiler into its OS that it allows Intel macs to run software written for PPC macs. Even with the more powerful Intel cpus, PPC software generally runs more slowly on the Intel macs than on PPC macs.

I'd say that if you want a $1000 mac that will run Photoshop at a decent pace now, buy an iBook G4 now while they are still available. If you want something that will work better down the road, wait a few months and get an Intel-based iBook.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 02-19-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

I'm looking forward to this transaction for two main reasons. The first being I was an early adoptor, meaning I started on Apple Systems in the early 80's, and the second being that I'm under the presumption that OSX is a superior Operating system. I really want one of the new systems as soon as I can afford one.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-19-2006, 02:17 AM
Good morning!

Thanks

I really am looking used...I have nothing againts Intel, in fact my neighbor, Andy Grove, started it percs of living in CA, but I want to pick up something a couple years old that still does a bang up job on photoshop, I might have a tower for home and a laptop for "other" but right now I'm looking for a used powerbook
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I have a titanium powerbook G4 it's about 3 years old. No complaints really, asside from a broken super drive. It's still rather fast even with a full hard drive. Used ones are pretty cheap, you might even consider buying one with a broken screen and one with a bum disk drive and combining.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Thanks

I really am looking used...I have nothing againts Intel, in fact my neighbor, Andy Grove, started it percs of living in CA, but I want to pick up something a couple years old that still does a bang up job on photoshop, I might have a tower for home and a laptop for "other" but right now I'm looking for a used powerbook
If you are looking for used, just keep an eye out for a used Powerbook G4 on eBay, Craig's list, etc. The last ones before the transition to Intel cpus had 1.7 GHz G4 processors (I think). Mine at work is about a year old, and it has a 1.5 GHz G4 processor. For Photoshop work, I'd think that you'd want one with a 15" screen or 17" screen (they also made one with a 12" screen). Compared to the new Apple and WinTel desktop machines, the Powerbook G4s are a bit slow, but they are fine if you aren't used to something faster. I use one as my daily driver at work, and its fine.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Good morning!

I have an old (8 years?) supermach 21" display that still kicks arse, after looking at the prices for the high end powerbook I might do better with a tower and a midrange used 15-17" laptop, how does the speed of a 1ghz laptop compare with a 1ghz tower? It seems that it is easier to find a used tower with photoshop than a laptop, and my current photoshop is anchient, almost oozing crude oil...
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
sans SVX

A 1 GHz powerbook will be slower than a 1 GHz tower. Maybe 60-80% the speed of a tower. At least that's what if feels like.

Visit my locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: