How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Smooth operator

Today in microbiology, the instructor mentioned that over this past summer every piece of computer hardware in the General Classroom Building (a building with lots of classrooms conviently named GCB) was stolen.

So I'm thinking to myself, it takes one smooth operator to lift (I think) 11 floors with at least 20 classrooms of equipment. She said it wasn't just the computers and monitors, whoever did this took the projectors off the ceilings as well. From looking at the ones they replaced the stolen ones with, it's not a small dvd player sized projector. It's the commercial grade suitcase sized ones.

She also said they stole a grand piano.....A FREAKING GRAND PIANO!!!!!

Hats off to the smooth operators that pulled that stunt off. That takes someone seriously hung to execute that burgulary.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
That's pretty incredible. How do you then move all that stuff? I mean, it's a big order.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
That's pretty incredible. How do you then move all that stuff? I mean, it's a big order.
I don't know. I do know that they did it during the day. I've installed those projectors before in one of our meeting rooms for my previous employer. I remember it was like 40-50lbs. Took at least 2 people to put it up cause you have to mount the bracket and tie it in.

The only thing that I could come up with was there was definitely more than 3 people working on this job. They must have looked like the techs there and acted like any normal tech would. What I don't get is that there's a few support centers around that troubleshoots wifi problems, network problems, etc. Why they didn't notice something was wrong when they started seeing people they don't know moving stuff is beyond me.

And a frigging grand piano.....What did they dress up like Norah Jones? Everyone knows piano gets onsite service.

The police station is right across the street too. They got cops in patrol cars, peddling bike cops, and cops on motorcycles. You would think they would inform the instructors that there will be a change in equipment so not to panic if their stuff is missing. Each room had at least 1 computer for the instructor. This had to have taken hours to complete.

I don't know mang. But they planned well.

A few weeks ago, someone brought me a box to look at. I noticed the King and Spalding tag on it...I like stamped inventory tracking. It was relatively new. The person apparently bought it a few months back from a used computer dealer. I used to know people who worked for that law firm, there's no way they just 'retired' that computer from their inventory. I bet some of those GSU boxes are floating around ebay and the ghetto.

Last edited by Noir; 09-21-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Hater

a highly trained team of crack-monkeys could pull off a caper like that.......

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
a highly trained team of crack-monkeys could pull off a caper like that.......

it's funny actually. i examined their method of 'securing' the new systems. they put in rack like housings to mount the rack mount computers in. big whoop, anyone with some portable tools could remove it. the new projectors are chained to a point on the ceiling. a chain cutter could easily remove that.

they put up announcements on every door stating that if suspicious activity is noticed, to call the cops. all doors should be locked after class. do you think the students or instructors do that? nope.

i'm with tigershark. we should barcode each student's wrist and setup scanners at every entrance to gain access.

there was a 20% tuition hike after this summer.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir

i'm with tigershark. we should barcode each student's wrist and setup scanners at every entrance to gain access.

The mark of the beast is upon us!!! (that was sarcasm people, simmer down now) Seriously, isn't that a bit extreme?

People (teachers, students, whoever) need to smarten up a bit to keep stuff like this from happening. We already have a means of checks and balances in place for this kind of thing. If people don't wisen up and lock stuff more securely then it will happen again, then tuition will rise again and this will keep happening until students stop coming because its not worth the money, and the school will go out of business. In order for them to survive they'll simply need to not be dumb. If they can't do that then they really don't need to be teaching anyone else I would think.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan
The mark of the beast is upon us!!! (that was sarcasm people, simmer down now) Seriously, isn't that a bit extreme?

People (teachers, students, whoever) need to smarten up a bit to keep stuff like this from happening. We already have a means of checks and balances in place for this kind of thing. If people don't wisen up and lock stuff more securely then it will happen again, then tuition will rise again and this will keep happening until students stop coming because its not worth the money, and the school will go out of business. In order for them to survive they'll simply need to not be dumb. If they can't do that then they really don't need to be teaching anyone else I would think.
we'd be able to police our peoples better with 'teh mark of teh beast'.

but as a security measure that would be awesome to protect equipment.

hahaha, students will stop coming because it's not worth the money.

that will neber happen. cause if you go to skool, then you will be guarnteed a jerb. if you don't get edjumacated, then you wil get no where in life. that's what i remember they were preaching back in teh day in elementary and high skool.

but what do i know? i'm a losAr without a future and without a jerb. that's why i'm trying to get edjumacated. i want to grow up to be like SVXtra!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Its teh Lupon III or the Fab Four!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: