How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Bypass Air Control Solenoid

If someone could tell me if the solenoid underneath the manifold is the bypass-aircontrol solenoid that would be greatly appreciated. I've cleaned the original and now bought a replacement that had the exact same resistance of the stock one. Im still throwing a code 24. I don't know if this is just the wrong solenoid or what, but all the wiring seems to be fine and in tact. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated the car hasn't ran right for A VERY LONG time at this point. I greatly appreciate any and all help. I've also got a TPS code coming up now, so ill check the resistance on that and get back to ya.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-fast-svx
If someone could tell me if the solenoid underneath the manifold is the bypass-aircontrol solenoid that would be greatly appreciated. I've cleaned the original and now bought a replacement that had the exact same resistance of the stock one. Im still throwing a code 24. I don't know if this is just the wrong solenoid or what, but all the wiring seems to be fine and in tact. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated the car hasn't ran right for A VERY LONG time at this point. I greatly appreciate any and all help. I've also got a TPS code coming up now, so ill check the resistance on that and get back to ya.
Yes that is the one, it controls the idle speed. The usually trouble is the unit gets stuck up with goo, so it can't respond to set the idle. Give it a wash out to free it up. When you fit it back, it will take the ECU a few start/stop cycles to get back to the right setting.

Harvey.

I just saw you said "under the manifold". The one under the left side of the manifold is the Auxiliary air valve, that gives the fast idle on a cold start up. The Idle air is under the Throttle body.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 08-10-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM

YEa i should of been a little clearer than that i was talking about the one under the throttlebodies. But i checked the resistance at school today of the new(used) one and it was at 10.5ohms. Spec from shopkey came up as 9ohms. From what ive learned so far this could be enough to cause a problem correct? would that problem be this severe? Its like the power kicks in at 3500 -4000rpms. I appreciate any and all help.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I've seen a lot of SVXi with the black plastis airbox that attaches to the throttle body installed wrong, with the rubber stack to the throttle body out of place allowing unmetered air into the engine. And the small hoses under the intake manifold, behind the alternator, going to the IRIS check valve dry, baked, and disconected, or that check valve broken in two, or cracked.
I've also seen the thin black hose on the right rear of the intake manifold that goes to the fuel pressure regulator split, or so dried out as to make them worthless.
It couldn't hurt to check those...

Unless the engine is really hot.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-12-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:26 PM

ok ill check those lines again but i have no idea how you could possibly put the intake track back on the wrong way. Thanks for the ideas i hope they are able to help me track the problem down...