Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2002, 07:43 PM
carpedick

Death of another SVX

Well, believe it or not,....well, check the pictures out first in my locker. But the insurance company actually deemed this a total loss. Unfortunate due to the fact that I had almost sold it. The only remotely mechanical problem with the accident, was the radiator, the car still would've run fine and driven home had the radiator not been punctured. Can you guys believe they totalled it?? They estimated the repairs at $10k. Insane
Old 03-04-2002, 07:50 PM
sith

Really sorry to hear that - I can't believe thats $10k in damage. I mean, all the body panels/bump would cost like $1k new from subaru-parts, figure in painting and a new radiator and all.. I still can't come near $10k. Wow. Were you ok in the accident? Doesn't look like the airbags went off...
Old 03-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
If they say $10,000 in damage, the car must not have a great salvage value to them. You should offer to buy it from the insurance co. Take the totaled value minus what they sell it too you for, buy my radiator (works fine, tranny cooler leaks) for a couple o bucks, a hood from someone who went to carbon fiber, a couple o fenders, light and about a grand at the frame shop and away you go!.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-04-2002, 08:39 PM
carpedick

no kidding, I was thinking about it. I'm gonna find out when it goes up for auction, and just head over there and see about buying it, but we'll see.

I was fine, I think the impact was maybe 20 mph, so was hardly anything major, so I still don't see why they thought it was soo bad, but who knows. I'll wait to see the report from the ins company.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by carpedick
no kidding, I was thinking about it. I'm gonna find out when it goes up for auction, and just head over there and see about buying it, but we'll see.

I was fine, I think the impact was maybe 20 mph, so was hardly anything major, so I still don't see why they thought it was soo bad, but who knows. I'll wait to see the report from the ins company.
Always hate to see the loss of an SVX, but always happy to see how well it protects the occupants. Glad you're okay, "Carpe." Hope you get it all sorted out.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's scary to see how little it takes to do so much $$$$ in damage! I nearly introduced my front bumper to a traffic light pole and I now believe that would have been the end of my car as well. Fortunately the bumper was saved but not the door. An estimated CA$6000+ to repair (USD$4000)

pics of the damage are in my locker
Old 03-06-2002, 07:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Oof. Looks like you rear-ended somebody hard. That's not fun - I've been there.

I'm sorry to hear that they totalled your car, but I'm also glad to hear nobody was hurt.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Lowered SVX

no way.....

there is no way that car should be totalled!! this is simply an insurance company unwilling to pay for a car. they can probably save money by paying you the blue book value. that really pisses me off. if my insurance company would not get away with that mess.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-06-2002, 11:55 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I too have a full insurance on my car. The only time any of my cars were considered totalled was when I was driving a '87 Prelude and a 18 wheeler hit my rear driver side 1/4 panel and they decided to buy the car out from me. Looking at the condition of the car, I bought the car back from them for 100 bucks and sold the car as is for 300 and kept the 1800 they gave me for the prelude and got a new car.

In the case of this SVX, the damage is not that bad and the car is fixable. If they don't want much, just buy the SVX back and work on it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:02 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sorry about your SVX, but I'm glad you're okay. You said you were only going 20? Wow!!
Hit a deer in mine last summer and I had to have been going about 40. All it did was crease my hood in a couple of spots. Guess I was lucky.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:34 PM
carpedick

Wasn't going 20, was a 20 mph impact. I was going about 50, probably 30 on impact, and he was probably rolling at 10, so the difference was how hard we hit, about 20.