How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Phil & Belha

B&M Cooler installation

Just bought a cooler, B&M 70264 as recommended by Level 10. It's about the same length and width as the favourite 70268, but twice as thick. I haven't decided where to mount it yet, since I don't think it will fit in front of the condenser. But I'll take the bumper off at the weekend and have a better look.

Any thoughts on the best way up to mount it? I couldn't find it in the instructions, although I found a link to some instructions for a 70270 cooler which said it could be mounted in any convenient orientation.

My first thought was to mount it with the inlet and outlet downwards so that it can be drained and flushed without removal.

But then I thought that it will be easier to bleed the air out if the pipes are facing upwards. Plus there's less chance of silt building up around the inlet and outlet pipes.

Then I thought about mounting it on it's side with the inlet and outlet pipes facing sideways. I'd use the lower pipe as the inlet and the upper as the outlet. I think this is my favourite. Easy to bleed, easy to drain and since the vanes will be vertical, maybe gravity will help pull any silt down to the bottom rather than settling in them.

What do you think?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

mount it inbetwen the rad and ac condensor. easy fit.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Phil & Belha

It's one and a half inches thick. Is there really that much room between the condenser and the radiator?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:40 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Nope. That's why most people go with the 70268. Another place to put it is in front of the a/c condensor, but I don't know that there's room there either. The only place it will for sure fit is the driver's side fender well.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:46 AM

How many GVW is it b3lha?

Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Phil & Belha

Thanks for the advice.

The cooler is 24000gvw. I was originally planning to buy the 70268, but decided on the bigger one after taking advice from Level 10.

I'll have a look at the fender well and see if it looks promising. Which orientation do you think is best?

Quote:
Email from me to Level 10

Do you think it is worthwhile to install an aftermarket transmission cooler and filter? If so, is there a particular one you would recommend? Would you install it in series/parallel/instead of the stock cooler?
It has been suggested to me to take the output pipe from the transmission, through a filter, then the aftermarket cooler (air/oil), then the stock cooler (water/oil), then back to the transmission.
Is this a sensible course of action?
Quote:
Reply from Level 10 to me

The cooler must be rated at 24,000 gvw.I don't recommend a filter.The best way to run cooler is from stock cooler to the 24,000 gvw cooler to the rear coolerline on gearbox.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:46 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

I'll have a look at the fender well and see if it looks promising. Which orientation do you think is best?

Depends on how you are going to route the airflow. If you pull off the inner fender cover, you'll see that there is an opening between the fender area and the radiator inlet area. Check out SVXRide's locker as an example. The SVX is designed to encourage some airflow into the fenderwell from this passage. I have no idea how much actually gets through though. What some people have done to force more airflow is to cut open the fender cover just in front of the wheel. There is a section that sticks out into the airstream and can force air into the fenderwell. If you go with the fenderwell mounting, keep in mind that in stop-and-go traffic there is going to be little means to force air over the cooler. If you find that the cooler is ineffective in stop-and-go traffic, then I recommend installing onto the cooler an electric fan with a thermostat.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I don't know why some people mount their ATF cooler in between their condensers and radiators. Who ever thought it was a good idea to put it between two other heat sinks?

Phil, even if the cooler you bought is so much thicker, I think it should fit where I put mine - out in front of the condenser. Pull the entire bumper, beam and all, off and you've got great access. Affix the cooler temporarily and you can slide the bumper back on to make sure it'll all fit.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-05-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I don't know why some people mount their ATF cooler in between their condensers and radiators. Who ever thought it was a good idea to put it between two other heat sinks?

Lot of people have done it with no problems. Me included. Its a nice easy fit.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93

Lot of people have done it with no problems. Me included. Its a nice easy fit.
What I wonder is why people decide to put it there in the first place. Again, you're putting it between two heat sources instead of out in front of both of them. I know we have no test data to rely upon, but I'm really curious why people arrived at that decision.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

..., but I'm really curious why people arrived at that decision.
Probably because its easy. Most of the bumper mounting screws on my car are rusted in place. Behind the a/c condensor is definitely not the best place, but its better than nothing. It worked well for me except when the temps got above 95F, and then it still ok except for going up long steep grades.

Visit my locker

Old 11-06-2004, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Probably because its easy.
That was exactly my theory - the perception that it was easier.

I found that removing my entire bumper assembly was really, really easy. My guess is that many people never even try removing the bumper. I know some shops don't - my mom took her SVX to a shop and asked them to install a cooler where I put mine and they told her flat out 'it won't fit.'

Phil, I think Mychailo's words are reason enough to try fitting the cooler in front of the radiator and condenser. If it doesn't fit there, you may have to go all the way to the right-hand side of the radiator - if I remember, the condenser doesn't cover the whole radiator. You might have more space there.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Phil & Belha

I had a look at it yesterday. I didn't remove the bumper, but it was quite obvious that this cooler was much too big to fit anywhere behind the bumper.

Only place it would fit is in the fenderwell.

It's very clean in the fenderwell, so I don't think much air passes through there. I'll cut a little duct and maybe add a fan for novelty value.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Chicken & egg

I put mine in between. It's the 19000 lbs GVW model.

Putting it between two rads has the advantage that the cold oil gets to heat up quicker in cold weather.

There is the disadvantage that it is meant to lose heat, yet you are placing it between two heat sinks, also trying to lose heat.

To this I say two things;

One, the cooler's rated at 19000, the car weighs about 3400. So if it only worked a theoretical 20% in that location, it should cool sufficiently. Plus you are putting it in as an auxiliary cooler, the OEM one is still working away.

Two, putting it behind the AC condenser, when the AC is on, so will the AC cooler fan. This will force extra air across the metal cooler channels, and the AC is usually running when the weather is hot. So assisted cooling effect there when needed.

I had this choice to make when I put mine in place. The choice was between

{a}putting it in the sandwich where it would be less efficient[even though the cooler's capability is way more than required] or
{b}put it in front of the AC condenser, where it would definitely reduce the ability of the AC to cool the car by sending hot air back across the AC condenser.

As they put it in The Piano, "I chose life". I need to keep my as well you know

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl