How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2004, 03:10 AM
quiquetupper

Transmission not shifting

Hi,I haven't posted in a while here,since I haven't had serious issues with my SVX,up till know.I have had my 92 Svx for almost 2 years and I do not use it very much,I rarely drive it in the city,most of the time I have used it for long trips.As everybody who owns a SVX knows,these cars run at low RPM,but when I was driving it a week ago I noticed the RPMs were over 3K and I was at 75 mph,It seemed to me something was wrong so I came back home and I parked it,because I thought may be a vacuum hose desconected or something else that it was not common to the normal drive of the car.Today I had the time to check it out and to see if I could find something wrong with the car.I did not find anything wrong When I test drove it the car is worst,it is not shifting at all,I could get to 5K RPMs and no shifting.I have heard it could be the brake band.Does anybody knows what it could be? And if it is the famous brake band how could I adjust it?
Beforehand Thank you very much,Enrique.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:26 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

The brake band sits on top pf the tranny right near the starter. It is the most annoying thing to do. Hard to get access to it and even harder to move. I think if you go to a dealer to get it done they do it for about 150 dollars.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=brake+band
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=12865

Those should help on brake band adjustment information.
It is a pain to get to, but once you do it the first time it is pretty easy actually.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 AM
quiquetupper

Brake Bamd Adjustment

Thanks all who have answered my post.I did try today with a 17 and a 7 mm wrenches,a flashlight and WD 40.It worked I was able to get to the nut and release it ,it was hard and then atonishly I was able to move the small square flat head bolt ,just with my fingers,but I thnk I tightened it too hard since my car is now doing the following:
a)First to second almost unperceptible
b)second to third ,there is a braking and then the engine revs up to 4500 RPMs and shifts.
c)There is no shifting from third to fourth,I can even get to six thousands RPMs and nothing.
Mi concerns now : Did I tighten it too far?How many turns should I do to release it now?
Unfortunately as it was so loose I did not control my fingers but I will give it a try again.early in the morning.
Thanks again .
Old 10-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Enrique

Sounds like you have it too tight.

Check the info here:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EATFWD.pdf

on the correct adjustment.

Be careful of loosening too much. If you do, the nut falls inside the case, the tranny will have to be taken out and stripped to fix.

Also check you have enough tranny oil inside. Insufficient oil can also affect shifting.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl