SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
speedo gear question-please help!

How can you tell the difference between a broken speedo "drive" gear and a broken "driven" gear? If you have to remove the shaft could you tell me how?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-25-2004, 08:56 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The drive gear is made of metal while the driven gear is plastic, so it seems unlikely the the drive gear would break.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 PM

The driven gear is held on to a shaft by a snap ring, and so to get it out I believe you would have to pull the transaxle and separate the front differential from the transmission. I say this because the gear is of a larger diameter than the sensor (just verified this with a few parts I have in a bin) and therefore couldn't be extracted while in-car. Sorry.

That said, the sensor that reads gear rotation can be removed by unscrewing it from the case.

I don't think it would be easy, but it might be possible to remove the sensor and turn the axles and see if the shaft is rotating - which would help you to know if one of the gears drive/driven was bad.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:27 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
does anybody have a picture of the driven gear in conjunction with the drive gear, I want to see if you can pull the cv axle and change it through there. I spun the sensor by hand and it's working properly so I know it's one of the gears.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
<http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=190-1>

32715 is the speedo drive gear. I have no idea if you can get to if from outside the gearbox, but at least you can see the location.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 PM

this isn't what you asked for, but it's the closest I can get for you, maybe somebody else can do better.

anyway, if you look at the transmission manual in my personal locker, part 2 has a section titled converter case. In there you'll see a pen & ink figure showing the driven gear looking thru the axle stub hole in the differential part of the transaxle. It may be possible to do what you are suggesting.

I'm also attaching a photo of the driven gear on it's shaft. I could try to get a better shot if needed, the attachment was just a quick snap so you could see it. Let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driven gear and shaft.jpg (53.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Thanks Lee that info is great I was hoping you could see the gear through that hole. Now does anyone have a blown trans laying around so I can verify wether or not it can be done before I buy the parts? This little $#i! causes a lot of annoying problems no speedo,cruise,odometer not even able to hook up a heads up display.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well since it's the larger (driven) gear, you will need to remove the carrier bearing on the pass side to get the old gear off and the new one on. This requires you to pull the trans. There is no other way around it sorry man.