How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
deruvian

Question Some questions about the water pump

I've pulled the water pump off my car (had some leakage from the gasket), and I've got a few q's about it.

First off, what the hell is this? Pump 1. The link shows a pic of the pump, with a small hole in the side. This hole is on the same side as where the leakage was coming from. Is the hole supposed to be there?

BTW - that hole is on the oil pump-side of the water pump. There is a small rubber seal that attaches to the water and oil pump, which has somewhat of a "Z" shape. I've taken the advice to not use any sealant on the water pump assembly gasket, but what about this rubber seal?

Secondly, what are these marks on the pump from? Pump 2. This water pump has only been used for about 1000 miles, so these markings worry me a little. They almost look like the pump is rubbing on something. The engine block shows no obvious wear in those respective spots, which I would presume it would if the pump turbine truly was rubbing.

Any ideas on any of this? Thanks a ton!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Your PUMP 1 question about the hole. Well that is a weep hole. The coolant comes out here if the mechanical seal is leaking. The mechanical seal is used to seal the rotating shaft to the pump housing. The weep hole releaves the coolant pressure so the bearing doesn't fill up with water. A leak here also lets you know the seal is leaking.

Your pump 2 question about the marks. If it was a rub the marks would be shiney. I think that is just some rust and looks similar to the marks I have seen. Do the marks wipe off?

No sealant is needed on the Z rubber washer. It is just a seal to keep the water and dirt out of the T-belt chamber.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Your PUMP 1 question about the hole. Well that is a weep hole. The coolant comes out here if the mechanical seal is leaking. The mechanical seal is used to seal the rotating shaft to the pump housing. The weep hole releaves the coolant pressure so the bearing doesn't fill up with water. A leak here also lets you know the seal is leaking.

Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks!

Your pump 2 question about the marks. If it was a rub the marks would be shiney. I think that is just some rust and looks similar to the marks I have seen. Do the marks wipe off?

I rubbed one of the marks with my finger, and it went away a little bit. Must be rust or some kind of oxidation.

No sealant is needed on the Z rubber washer. It is just a seal to keep the water and dirt out of the T-belt chamber.

That's what it looked like to me. I couldn't see any purpose for it in terms of fluid... Just seemed to keep dust and debris away from the pumps.
Thanks again.

Last edited by deruvian; 05-27-2004 at 07:06 PM.