How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2004, 02:29 AM
The Molinator

Bearing Type Whine . . . . .

I replaced both the front and rear bearings last year. After replacing the rears early last year, I still heard a whining sound which seemed to come from the front. Later in the year, I replaced the fronts, but I still hear at times a definite (slight to moderate) whining sound. I don't think either front or rear bearings were done incorrectly nor do I think they've gone bad right after the replacements were made (as some say is possible: bent hubs, lugs overtightened, etc.). My best guess on the rotation rate on the rotational whine is at a faster rate than the wheels (?). Could it be the driveshaft U-joints? [I replaced the front axles (one bad boot) late in the year also.]

What do you think could be making this haunting whining noise?

THANKS for any help!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 01-20-2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 PM
TorG0d

Try some new tires. My Dunlop Sport FM-901's whine a bit . . .
Old 01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
I do know that transmission end bearings can cause what you are describing, but I'm pretty sure thats not what you want to hear.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-21-2004, 03:33 PM
The Molinator

WHINE

It's not so much of a (constant) whine as it is a "Yah!...Yah!...Yah!...Yah!" cyclic type of sound. It seems to be faster than the rotation of the wheels, so might be driveshaft, front differential rear bearing, rear differential front bearing, etc.

I guess it could be the rear trans bearing? I'm gonna hafto find a wing-walker that wants to be strapped to the undercarriage (very thin person!) of the SVX while I drive around to diagnose the problem!

THANKS for your input!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!