How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-05-2004, 11:20 AM
_-DejaVu-_

How much should I pay for a radiator?

My car has been having problems for a month, and I havn't got to drive it since then.

The radiator is cracked, right at the top of it. I do not want to pay to get another (Rebuilt, or new....) I'm sick of rebuilt parts.
But if I were to get a rebuilt one, or a new one, how much are we talking about??

I heard you can actually put things (Like pepper) in the radiator, to plug up the cracks. I have not tried it, in fear of something going wrong.
But does anyone know of anything else I can do, for a temp. solution, that will last longer than a few weeks?

The other problem is, I just bought a rebuilt alternator. We aren't sure it's working right in my car, because the mother ****ing battery (Bought it last March) keeps dying!!!!!!!!!!

My car will start, it's just.....I shut it off(I guess maybe to 'help' it somehow) then when I try to start it again, I sit there for 20 seconds trying to get it to start.
I'm not sure, but I do know........Once one thing breaks, it's never ending from there.

Deja
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 AM

I bought one on eBay

I paid about $190 plus shipping for a used one on ebay....haven't received it yet.....so we'll see if the price was reasonable.

Warren C.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM
mtbikerco

radiator pricing

expect to pay around 200 for a used radiator, maybe lower, but around that price. for a new one i think the best deal is at www.1stsbuaruparts.com ro call liberty subaru and mention a 25% off coupon in car and driver. both of these places, with the coupon, sell a new radiator for aroudn 290. hope this helps.

Nick
Old 01-06-2004, 05:45 AM

A Subaru dealership quoted me something in the neighborhood of $350 for a new radiator. My local mechanic could not readily find an aftermarket example. (I ended up convincing the Subaru dealership that sold me the car to toss-in a new radiator.)

I think it's safe to say you can forget about accomplishing any sort of lasting repair on the plastic top.

dcb
Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 AM

I paid 375 at subaruparts.com last year.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM

Probably Also Need the Cooling Fans

If you are needed the the radiator due to some kind of front end collision, most likely you will also need new cooling fans also.....they have plastic housings and crack along with the raidator with any impact.

.........they seem to be going for $65-$100 used.....

Mine were also cracked and pushed into the belt system for the crank, power steering, and AC compressor.

I have a radiator and set of fans from a 92 Legacy and wondering if they might be interchangeable or adaptable to work.... I haven't gotten the SVX radiator out yet to check, will do that this weekend.

Warren C.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:50 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Thanx for all of your help guys.

I'm trying to get a hold of one online. I just want to fix this problem, and drive my car!

(Just mad, because I was suppose to go out of town this week and now I can't. ..... And everyone wonders why I want to get a Toyota....? At least it will run, when my X doesn't!!!)

Dej