Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2003, 02:02 AM
DamN

some help please)

Hi, i have been having the rough idle problem plus rough driving problem too, i've been putting injector cleansr in, etc. Neither of that crap seems to be working, and my car is driving worse and worse. Feels like i'm missing 3 cilinders. So i'm gonna try to replace the spurk plugs tomorow. The problem with that is i don't know where they are (no, i'm not a moron, i'm just not used to japanease cars). So if you guys could give me a diagram of where they are or tell me , that would be great help . Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You said you had tried 'injector cleaner' and then said 'neither of that crap' was working. You're suggesting that you tried multiple things, but only told us about one. What else have you tried?

There's a how-to document on replacing the spark plugs in, go figure, the 'How-To' folder. There's a link at the top of this page.

The spark plugs are a pain in the ass to replace, but you don't have to do it very often. I recommend the OEM NGKs because they've worked flawlessly for me. My first set stayed in the car for 130k miles, and when I took them out they were all gapped to spec - and within a couple thousandths of an inch of eachother. So put some OEM platinum plugs in and you'll be good to go for another 100k.

The plugs are in the center of the heads. This really isn't a 'Japanese car thing' - hell, it's not even a 'Subaru thing.' Every other Subaru I've worked on has had the plugs on the sides of the heads, where you can get to them.

I recommend having a set of picks and hooks (I got mine from Sears for maybe ten bucks) and an inspection mirror. Also a small flashlight would be handy. The boots that fit between the coils and plugs have a tendency to stick to the plugs, and digging them out can be a lesson in frustration.

Good luck, and post here if you get stuck. It's better to wait a couple hours for a reply than force something and break it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE