How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2021, 08:14 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Bump stop replacement

So, over the course of working on my car, I've noticed that the rear bump stops (on the OEM struts) are completely gone. I'd like to replace them, but the OEM parts are NLA from Subaru. Ideally, I'd like to replace the struts all the way around, but it seems most of our options for aftermarket have either dried up by this point or are crazy expensive, and the OEM replacements are likely to leak out of the box due to dried up seals from sitting on a shelf for years. So, patching up the old stuff - at least for now - it is.

While researching this a ways back, I found that Ground Control sells standalone replacements that are said to work for our cars, although I don't know where I saw that now (I've had the GC site tab open for literal months but haven't gotten around to ordering anything yet). Ebay and Amazon both also seem to have some generic bump stops available as well, but nothing that's listed as a direct fit for the SVX. Unfortunately, mine turned to dust a long time ago apparently, so I can't get any measurements from the old parts to reference when looking at stuff online and trying to figure out what may work and what will not.

I've measured the rear strut shaft at about 25mm in diameter. Seems it's thicker than most, so that limits options somewhat. Most of the ones I'm finding seem to have a 19mm bore. I don't want to modify anything. The GC ones are apparently good for "19 - 24mm" struts, so that seems to be my best bet so far, but would love to find some alternatives just in case.

If I went with the GC parts, does anyone know if the "firm strut" or "soft strut" options work better with the (probably fairly worn out) OEM rears? I'm leaning toward the "soft strut" option, but would appreciate any input on this as I'm just guessing at this point.

Does anyone know of anything else available off-the-shelf that will fit the rear strut shaft and come close to OEM in terms of length / width / foam hardness?
Old 11-18-2021, 04:43 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Bump stop replacement

The GC soft option looks very much like stock.
The bump stop is not a critical component of the suspension. It just cushions the blow when you bottom out.
I'd give them a try.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:44 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: Bump stop replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
The GC soft option looks very much like stock.
The bump stop is not a critical component of the suspension. It just cushions the blow when you bottom out.
I'd give them a try.
Thanks for the input - this is where I'm leaning as well. Yeah I know it's not exactly crucial, but I'd like to have them there to help the struts out, especially given the fact that I think the struts are fairly worn out anyways. Also, the secondary function of these is to hold the strut boot up - with nothing currently in place, mine just flop down leaving the strut rod exposed to the elements at all times which can't be good for it.