15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-17-2003, 07:43 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I just replaced mine. The plugs looked perfect (no erosion, tan color), and the car has 82k miles on it. I did a bit of reading on platinum plugs, and even though the manufacturers often recommend replacement at 100k miles, lots of people say the plugs degrade in performance by 50k miles. If you do decide to replace, I'd recommend going with the Denso Iridium spark plug.

http://www.denso.co.jp/PLUG/iridium-e/
http://www.densoiridium.com/

The NGK Iridium plug looks fine too. In fact, it looks the same as the Denso Iridium plug.

The plugs are a PITA to replace. It will probably take you several hours to do it the first time if your engine is clean to start with. If its not clean, I recommend degreasing around the spark plugs before starting. BTW, I ended up breaking all the little plastic hangers for the lead wires.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I replaced my plugs at 130k miles. They were normal in color, and all were gapped within spec and within 001" of eachother.

That's pretty friggin' fantastic performance from a set of plugs, if you ask me.

I agree with the above comments - the plugs are a total pain in the ass to replace. I recommend getting an inspection mirror and a set of picks to do it - the coil boots can and probably will stick to the plugs and you're not going to be able to see in there to get them out.

The current wisdom seems to go against using anti-sieze on the plugs. I used the stuff, but I wish I hadn't, having read the comments from techs here.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-18-2003, 09:26 PM
JLittell

...Yep Sparkies are pain in the ass!! The best tool that I ever brought is one of those Craftsman extendable magnets. I can tell you how many times I would drop something down in the engine!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 PM
JLittell

BTW, I was told that you should never need to gap Plat. plugs...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
BTW, I was told that you should never need to gap Plat. plugs...
You shouldn't, no. I had to because mine came packed poorly from 1stsubarupats.com, and one of the plugs was a little bent.

I carefully used a needlenose pliers. That worked just fine.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Green1995SVX

I replaced my original plugs at 130k. Mine were not discolored at all, and were within spec just like Nick's. I did notice some improvment in idle and performance with new plugs though.

Mike
Old 03-20-2003, 12:31 AM
The Molinator

Smile Plug THIS!

I replaced my plugs with NGK's (dealer $90. - yes I'm a sucker!) @ 60,000 in October 2002. This was my very first attempt to solve my intermittent rough idle (that has never been solved - did get better though!).

I have small hands. If you don't, take off the battery and air filter housing for access or let a pro do it. It's a B*#@H! I used a 12 mm box wrench to loosen the coil bolts. Popped the coils off the plugs with long screwdriver. I think it took a 2 or 3 inch extension on the ratchet attached to the spark plug socket(?)

I, too, broke all (brittle) plastic wire brackets. They cost 15 to 20 dollars!

My plugs as y'all mentioned were in excellent shape - gapped and "pretty"!

GO FOR IT, BRO!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Soobarooo

I pulled an easy one on the right front. Here is a picture. Considering what a PITA it is, do you think it will be worth the effort? We only drive it about 2000 miles/year. I'd prefer not to do it.

Let me know. (The left rear look like a horrow show to access)

My car just rolled 80K Miles.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug.jpg (142.7 KB, 179 views)
Old 04-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Rosevineboy

Question Plugs

Looked at your e-pic of spark plug and whole heartedly agree that changing "any" of the sparkies can be a PITA. Most folks measure the gap, or the space between the tip and electrode.

From reviewing your e-pic it looks like the tip has sufferred some erosion, resulting in more of a point than a rounded and or flat post that allows electrical current to jump from one side to the other. Just an observation and may be wrong. Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but unless you can put an eyeball on the situation and or problem..... ou just don't know. Like I said, just an observation based on your e-pic.

Good Luck. I wouldn't think that 2,000 miles of driving within a calender year would require sparkplug replacement, but I am just a junior member.

Mike
Old 04-07-2003, 10:30 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Mine's just rolled 200k. Should do it right?

I have 2 more densos left from my "Money Pit". Neet to get 4 more and I am set. Will do plugs, and leekey engine at the same time soon.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosevineboy
From reviewing your e-pic it looks like the tip has sufferred some erosion, resulting in more of a point than a rounded and or flat post that allows electrical current to jump from one side to the other. Just an observation and may be wrong. Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but unless you can put an eyeball on the situation and or problem..... ou just don't know. Like I said, just an observation based on your e-pic.
Nice observation. However, this is what a normal platinum plug looks like. They all have a small platinum tip and the OEM NGK plugs also have a dab of platinum on the other end of the spark as well...something the Bosch plugs are missing.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:15 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Soobarooo
I pulled an easy one on the right front. Here is a picture. Considering what a PITA it is, do you think it will be worth the effort? We only drive it about 2000 miles/year. I'd prefer not to do it.

Let me know. (The left rear look like a horrow show to access)

My car just rolled 80K Miles.

Thanks.
Your picture is so far out of focus that its impossible to learn anything about the condition of the plug. However, assuming that the plugs are in normal condition for 80k miles, they ought to be fine and not need replacing for another 20k miles or more.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:18 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Mine's just rolled 200k. Should do it right?

I have 2 more densos left from my "Money Pit". Neet to get 4 more and I am set. Will do plugs, and leekey engine at the same time soon.

L
200k miles on original plugs? Wow. I would think you could get some benefit to replacing the plugs after this many miles. Be careful when removing them. I'm wondering if they might be almost seized to the heads.

Visit my locker