Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2001, 08:31 PM
John

A thought on transmissions

I think before some of you spend thousands of dollars on rebuilding the engine, you should consider a custom transmission. I drove an Acura 3.2 TL. This car is close in weight to the SVX, it has less power (225hp), but it is a little quicker. The reason is the five speed sport shift transmition. The miata took a second off the 0-60 times just by changing from a 5 speed to a 6speed. I am very interested in a 5 or even better a 6 speed manual conversion for the SVX. I know this has been talked about, but has anyone priced a custom tranny for the svx. I bought my 95 lsi for 12,000, so even it it cost 10 grand, it is still cheaper than a new car.
Old 06-24-2001, 08:38 PM
deligeds

Yes

Check out the "RWD Standard Trans" thread.
Old 06-24-2001, 08:46 PM
John

I want to keep my car AWD. That is one of the reasons I bought it.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:16 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
5 spd tran has been talked about but no one has done it yet. I did talk to the subie tech about it. It's doable. Just hope you have the bank account in switzerland (with a ton of money). I heard from people about a 5 spd tranny from the legacy at one time. I know legacy tranny (auto) can go in there. Just ask Randy (AreDub). You need to put a flywheel, you need to cut holes in the car etc if you want to convert. Again. Doable project. You need time and money for that. Just like the 900+ hp SVX, we have yet to see a manual trans svx as well.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-24-2001, 09:27 PM
John

Lightbulb

Has anyone looked in to a five speed automatic?
Old 06-25-2001, 10:29 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Better Auto

I've thought about the tranny quite a bit (with my limited car knowledge), and I think that the way to go is either a 5 speed auto, or a torque converter that allows for a higher RPM stall. The manual would be sweet, but I think it takes more work than it is worth. From what I've read, a major problem is overcoming the electrical setup of the automatic transmission, and its interface with the ECU. Putting in a manual would require a complete re-programming of the ECU (from what I understand). I would think that an automatic would be easier to work with in that respect. With a different torque converter, you could have a quicker launch and probably not have much to do at all with the electronics. I don't know for sure, though. However, the manual would be the ultimate, just cuz it'd be fun. But, like everybody else has said, it'll be a ton of work.
Mat
Old 06-25-2001, 12:20 PM
Habesha

There is always Level 10's "shiftronic" which allows you to select gears via push-buttons
Old 06-27-2001, 03:27 PM
SVXtypeR

Your best bet...

will be to get a hold of (and modify) a Skyline tranmission. Many of the SVX's driveline parts are shared with Nissan (specifally the 4 Runner).

Other than that, you're looking at a custom job by Quaife or X-trac (both of which will run you about 25 grand)
Old 06-28-2001, 10:00 AM
Vern!

Nissan 4Runner? Or did you mean to say Toyota Pathfinder.
Old 06-29-2001, 08:15 AM
SVXtypeR

At the point I wrote this...

... I don't even know...
Old 06-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Talking Re: At the point I wrote this...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
... I don't even know...

A fairly famous man once said..."It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are an idiot than to open it and prove it." As I recall his name was Abraham Lincoln.

If you order a rear end for a Subaru, (any Subaru), it will come in a nissan box. That of course is if you buy it at a dealership. How do I know this...One dealer I worked for was a multiple franchise dealer, and two of them were Nissan and Subaru.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:35 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
FROM WAHOO::

Quote:
yeah SVX if you want to put a manual tranny in. Go with the 1998 Impreza tranny, but if you can find a WRX one that would be better. They have the same bolting pattern so it will fit on the SVX. One other thing you have to do is install a hydraulic clutch setup and a shift linkage. Let me tell you the SVX is already fun to drive with an manual its even better.
Is this correct about the matching patterns?
Old 08-03-2001, 11:57 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
FROM WAHOO::

Is this correct about the matching patterns?
About the 1998, yes, about the WRX, no.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:23 AM
still in love with Hannah

Re: Better Auto

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
I've thought about the tranny quite a bit (with my limited car knowledge), and I think that the way to go is either a 5 speed auto, or a torque converter that allows for a higher RPM stall. The manual would be sweet, but I think it takes more work than it is worth. From what I've read, a major problem is overcoming the electrical setup of the automatic transmission, and its interface with the ECU. Putting in a manual would require a complete re-programming of the ECU (from what I understand). I would think that an automatic would be easier to work with in that respect. With a different torque converter, you could have a quicker launch and probably not have much to do at all with the electronics. I don't know for sure, though. However, the manual would be the ultimate, just cuz it'd be fun. But, like everybody else has said, it'll be a ton of work.
Mat
Couldn't you rig the computer so it thinks it's in nuetral?
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 06-05-2005, 01:01 PM
SVXlax

small car has a conversion kit that includes a wrx tranny and everything else that is needed. I know someone who just had it done to their svx and it came out amazing. The labor was a little bit over a grand.
heres the link
http://www.smallcar.com/svx/5spdkit.htm